Calais aire or cite-europe

davidmac

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2015-05-24 11:56 AM

In my overnight stay I saw one individual who may have been a migrant or a local. It's all about how you feel and if you are not happy move on. Same situation exist at UK motorway stops.

I am about to fit a bike rack to MH and it is beyond my comprehension of the possibility of two humans trying to conceal themselves in the space available. If it happened it happened but all I can say is they must have been obvious

Hamish..for pitys sake, Hugh stayed at cite-europe and they were on the back when he got to tunnel next morning? had already explained what sort of swing out rack it was....you haven't seen one.. Hugh will answer when he returns but guess you still will not believe!lol

As for comparing situation in Calais with whats happening on a UK motorway stop..That plain bonkers IMO

We had one on our chassis last September. We stayed over night at cite Europe after our late train arrival. I felt movement on our van at 4am approx, woke hubby he said go to sleep you silly sod. I had the last laugh of who was the silly sod when we headed down South hours later, with someone banging our van floor. We pull over and out he gets. So be cautious and check your under carriage. Spoke to a person days later and he had one on his bike under the waterproof cover on the bike rack.

I take exception to your bonkers suggestion. There are as many dismal characters in UK service areas as there are at Cite Europe. It's all how you perceive your risk by first hand appraisal.

I did not say the migrants were not on the cycle rack, I did say it should have been pretty obvious

Hi davidmac, if you are going to fuel at Auchan, there used to be a service point there and room for a van or two as you exit, it used to be advertised as a stop years ago we stayed there at Xmas a few years ago, might be worth a look as you are there anyway?

Snail

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2015-05-24 9:44 PM

Friends had their van broken into at City Europe, they stole £20 worth of stuff but did several thousands pounds of damage getting in.

Which is why if we stay there, we never leave the van unattended ;-) ...........

On 23 April we visited Auchan for fuel and food and Majestic Wine and saw no suspicious people, we were there around midday. On 30 April, did Auchan again for fuel at lunch time and went to Citi Europe to Carrefour and Flunch again we saw no suspicious people anywhere near the car parks or surrounding roads or Eurotunnel waiting area and we were there about four hours. However going to the port on the road off the A16 I think it is the A216 the tented village in the sand dunes on the north side of the road was huge with people everywhere but they were not on the road. We noticed the new high fencing being erected on the south side of the road, presumably to stop the access to the lorries when they are waiting. Going again next week so will see what it is like then and report back.

We came through Calais on Wednesday about noon. Not much sign of migrant activity but then we turned off the dock exit road to head past what used to be the Marina Aire but no MHs in sight there. The only migrants we saw were camped inside a churchyard, maybe 30 of them. We fueled up at Auchan and then headed S on the A16.

I suspect migrant activity relates to the pattern and routes of UK-bound lorry traffic, which is pr sums my (from the TV coverage) their favoured opportunity to get to UK but they will also presumably have a go at anything which might be UK-bound which presents an opportunity. Mob-handed assaults on lorries on the approach road to the docks might be the primary method but not the only one. The threat to motorhomes is probably quite low at any time of day as long as you don't hang around.

But for us the need to avoid hanging around means no stopping, except for a quick re-fuel, in or around Calais for the foreseeable future.

At Calais Wednesday June 3. On leaving the ferry port there were lots and lots of illegals on the side of the road but also lots and lots of Police Nationale. The new fence on the south side of the road is nearly complete but as the illegals are all on the north side I assume they will also insert a fence there. The tented site on the north of the road has grown since we were here at the end of April. At Auchan lots of motorhomes and no sign of illegals. At Cite Europe quite few illegals on the roadsides near the Euro Tunnel but only saw one within the boundaries and he was leaving. However no coaches in car park and only four motorhomes, one UK - us, two French and one German. Felt safe at both locations.

If you've seen the large numbers of would-be migrants in Calais and how they are clearly capable of hunting as a pack (even if they do also have inter-pack fights) and out-manoeuvring the police, despite lots of police (a whole container full were discovered in UK yesterday) I think you would be kidding yourself if you think that stopping in Calais overnight will be safe for the forseeable future.

These people are desperate and there are some inventive and resourceful people among them, not to mention some, perhaps all of them, being willing to resort to any sort of criminal activity. A motorhome is not a fortress and nor are people of the age of typical motorhomers well equiped to take issue with determined young migrants. If I had to stay overnight in Calais I suppose I would resort to the Aire at the harbour entrance, to be among other MHs, but really I'd have to be pretty desperate or cornered to do that.

Archived