Insursnce. Who will quote?

Stage

Hi,

I am soon to take delivery of a new motorhome. Because of the high value I have only been able to find one company, Shield, to provide a quote.

AIB were unable to and when I rang Comfort I got through to the same girl I spoke to at AIB!

So I have come to the font of all (motorhome) knowledge in the hope that some of you good people will be able to recommend other companies who I can obtain quotes from in order to have some comparisons to allow me to make an informed decision.

Thank you all in advance.

Guest JudgeMental
A london postcode can put some off....I have used Safeguard for years but there are many,many more..... Whats so different about the van, (help us out here) that may be putting them off.....

Hi Stalwart,

As I said, it's the high value that is being given as the reason for not quoting, there's nothing out of the ordinary about it and, incase you ask, at this point in proceedings I prefer not to disclose the exact cost.

Stage - 2015-05-29 6:43 PM

Hi Stalwart,

As I said, it's the high value that is being given as the reason for not quoting, there's nothing out of the ordinary about it and, incase you ask, at this point in proceedings I prefer not to disclose the exact cost.

There are lots of "high-end" German "A" Class & American RV's insured in the UK, so insurance should not be a problem as long as Insurer's requirements regarding fitting of Alarm / Tracker, are complied with.

If they are not, that "may" be the reason for refusing cover.

Guest JudgeMental
Dear oh dear...never asked the cost...just an idea as to what you are having a problem with. The manufacturer would help! *-)

Thank you all for your responses but blimey, I thought the question was really straight forward.

There are no issues with make, alarms, postcodes ect.

Trying to avoid having to make multiple calls to all the various companies a lot of whom don't quote on motorhomes over a certain value.

I am just looking for some recommendations from those of you out there who have insured higher value motorhomes, you know the sort of thing... Try so and so's, I got a really competitive quote.

2 or 3 like that would be nice.

Simples

Guest JudgeMental
derek pringle - 2015-05-30 8:38 AM

hi Stage,

have you tried Caravanguard, I know they insured vans over £50k providing they had a tracker fitted,no tracker no quote. They were reasonable with their premiums and I am still with them now with my caravan.

cheers

derek

Carthago liners start st £160k 8-)

Underwriting attitudes can change quickly, often due to re-insurance or quota problems. We had a high-end Burstner insured with Comfort - with the expected alarm / immobiliser / tracker requirements. Surprisingly perhaps they also gave us "full-time" cover as we went on a long European trip.

Either go on to some comparison websites as suggested before, or get a broker to do the leg-work for you.

My M/H is in the £50K band and I have had a good deal from Saga of all people. there is also a firm called One sure whom I have just taken out Car insurance cheaper than anywhere else for the same cover , insurance supplied by the same company as my old insurer, they ask if I would like a quote on my Motorhome when its due in November I said I would, give em a try nothing to lose.    http://www.onesureinsurance.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Brand&utm_campaign=Brand&gclid=CIWDy4Ge8cUCFQ-WtAodjy4A-A

Just be very careful of so called 'Nett' policies which do not accrue No Claims Discount.

They may seem like a good idea at the time but will come back to bite later!

I know because I have lost 3 years NCD thanks to a broker who sold me one without telling me the consequences. I'll tell you the brokers name if you PM me.

Keith.

flicka - 2015-05-29 8:23 PM

There are lots of "high-end" German "A" Class & American RV's insured in the UK, so insurance should not be a problem as long as Insurer's requirements regarding fitting of Alarm / Tracker, are complied with. If they are not, that "may" be the reason for refusing cover.

I expect the bib is why the OP is getting refused cover or finding it difficult. After all....what's "high value".....£250k plus? Plenty of vehicles on UK roads at that figure and much more which are insured.

A neighbour had one of those "high value" motorhomes and got it insured without any fuss......soon as he'd shelled out for a Tracker.

Once again, thank you all for your responses and advice/tips.

I was never having any difficulty in finding cover but by posting on here was trying to avoid having to troll through the mirriad of companies.

I have now gone with Safeguard, not the cheapest, but the most suitable cover for me.

Jargon question, bib? OP?

JudgeMental - 2015-05-30 9:20 AM

hi Stage,

have you tried Caravanguard, I know they insured vans over £50k providing they had a tracker fitted,no tracker no quote. They were reasonable with their premiums and I am still with them now with my caravan.

cheers

derek

gosh, £160k for a hobby,it is obscene

cheers

derek

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2015-05-30 9:20 AM

hi Stage,

cheers

derek

I'd of thought 50k is pretty average for a new camper now days by the time you add all the extra bits of kit ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2015-06-03 7:02 PM

I'd of thought 50k is pretty average for a new camper now days by the time you add all the extra bits of kit ;-) ..........

Need to get into the 21st century Dave, 50k only buys a cheapie. :D

lennyhb - 2015-06-03 7:43 PM

pelmetman - 2015-06-03 7:02 PM

Need to get into the 21st century Dave, 50k only buys a cheapie. :D

That very much depends on your pov lenny (thats "point of view" for our OP poster!)

One year in Poland i was on a site parked up next to an elderly German couple. They had a large(ish) Mercedes van which the guy had converted himself. He invited me inside to proudly show off all his handiwork. All units hand built and beautifully finished using solid wood throughout. Installed all electric himself, full oven, fridge, decent sized toilet/shower. It was almost 30 years old yet would put any top range 'expensive' coachbuilt to shame.

Of course no money would buy a van like that. It was completely unique...a "one off" which had cost plenty of time to build.....but at an absolute fraction of any shiny showroom van. It was a credit to the guy. Did help that he had been a joiner though so had access to all the right tools not to mention the wood!

Archived