Problem using credit/debit cards on French aires?

terryW

I have only once used a credit card to pay for an Aiire in France once, back in 2010, on that occasion the card was accepted and ticket printed but the transaction never ever appeared on my card. Traveling back through France this Spring we were ahead of schedule and decided to move up closer to the Tunnel and pay for an Aire on the coast.. When we tried to pay the machine would not accept an English Credit, debit or even prepaid Euro card.

I this a common problem with Aires? The machine I was trying to use to pay at was one of the green pillar type. Can anyone tell me how wide spread this problem is?

They usually work with one or the other. Sometimes my Caxton card is rejected but then my Visa Debit card will be OK.

Sometimes when they don't work it is because I was unable to follow complicated or non existant instructions. French card machines are not the most reliable in the world!

H

Bering in mind the usual fee is no more than €10 per 24 hrs, I always make sure I have enough loose coins rather than using a card.

A few nights ago we used the Aire at Montauban, (Canal Port) and the machine and barrier were out of action, with a note stuck across it telling you to go to the Captanairie and pay there. It as only €6 for the night inc electrics which I felt was exc value.

Sounds as if I was just unlucky. A French motorhomer helped by making sure I followed the instructions correctly but to no avail. Eventually overcame the problem by leaving early in the morning without a ticket. Next time I will avoid the Aire at Le Touquet.

Hi there, you will find the problem is very widespread, as the machines are not regularly serviced, and they either run out of paper, or the solar powered battery is at fault and cant power up the card machine, even if it is showing a display. Do not worry, as long as you have cash to pay when someone comes round to check, you will not be fined as long as you tell them that your card did not work. During off peak travelling they dont bother in out of the way places, but may do in heavily used spots, and during peak times, ie july and august. You may even find that the 'camping caristas' have super glued the machine so they dont have to pay. Thats France for you !!!!!!

Some of these card machines can be temperamental but we have,eventually, managed to be successful with them. They are certainly becoming more common and now often linked to a barrier which controls access. No bad thing in our opinion as stops people avoiding payment and certainly stops the super gluing idea, which we have never come across in all our Aires visits. On our most recent trip for example, machines were in use at five out of eight Aires we used, of these three were linked to entry barriers. All worked without problem but the pay and display machine at Honfleur did seem to provide a challenge for some users, mainly because they entered pin number before machine was ready.

This sounds a bit like the problem we had years ago when the French were introducing pay-at-the-pump card systems at fuels stations. At that time the "normal" fuel station had a cashier-in-a-booth system and you could use your credit card to pay if you wanted to. But with the new automated pumps they made no effort to cater for anything other than French credit and debit cards, so international visitors simply couldn't use their cards to buy fuel at these pumps. It was a real nuisance.

Since then of course the penny dropped and they incorporated use by all Vias and Mastercard cards and I haven't had any difficulty paying for fuel at the pump for many years. perhaps something similar is happening with these barrier systems.

I asked the question had you used your card for other purposes for a reason. My Halifax card will not work abroad unless I have informed the bank of when and in which countries I will be using it as part of their security system. If your card was not registered this may create problems but if you have made other purchases using card??

Most machines in France, and possibly elsewhere will not accept pre paid credit cards as they cannot acces the credit limit function a normal credit acrd has. So even though you have enough to meet the bill, it will be declined.

I was slightly amused to see the new aire at Neufchatel en Bray this year. It charges €12 per night but the site next door with all,facilties charges €14 per night. Why would anyone feel €2 is a worthwhile saving is strange to me for no showers/toilets/laundry etc Ironically the site manages the aire as well. Plus the aire is nearer to the new sewage works. I know other aires are not in this situation, but it does seem a little bit shortsighted.

Dave225 - 2015-05-31 8:41 PM

Most machines in France, and possibly elsewhere will not accept pre paid credit cards as they cannot acces the credit limit function a normal credit acrd has. So even though you have enough to meet the bill, it will be declined.

I was slightly amused to see the new aire at Neufchatel en Bray this year. It charges €12 per night but the site next door with all,facilties charges €14 per night. Why would anyone feel €2 is a worthwhile saving is strange to me for no showers/toilets/laundry etc Ironically the site manages the aire as well. Plus the aire is nearer to the new sewage works. I know other aires are not in this situation, but it does seem a little bit shortsighted.

I expect we all use Aires for different reasons. In our case it is not so much a cost saving as wish to arrive late and leave early. Being shut in a camp site restricts our option while enroute. Interesting last Feb we headed for a free Aire where we knew it was possible to get water and empty the loo only to find it no longer free and the only way to obtain water was to pay €10 to stay 24hrs. Fortunately we had other options.

Archived