Finding sites - am I the only one who struggles?

multiplamum

We purchased a motorhome last year and having spent 2 nights on a CL in Wales headed off to France and spent 10 weeks touring around. That is the sum total if our motorhoming experience.

We really want to use it for more than just our main holiday but struggle to find sites within a reasonable distance of home (Gloucestershire) that we want to visit.

All we want is a site which is in a nice place for walking and with a pub within walking distance so we can just park up and stay for the weekend. I have just spent 2 days trying to find somewhere to stay this weekend and am about to give up.

Am I being unrealistic in wanting this or does anyone else struggle.

Your question is confusing !

Where did you find the address of the CL Site you stayed on?

You should have been a member of the C&CC or the CC to use it so you should have dozens available at the turn of a page on either of their pamphlets. You use the net, search on there, there are many hundred including pubs that cater for stop overs.

A quick look at the late availability page on the CC website shows that there are weekend pitches available this coming weekend at a number of sites in the Cotswolds.

A cursory search of just 2 sites on the C&CC website showed vacant pitches for the weekend at Wolverley and at Chipping Norton.

I realise that Club Sites are not to everyone's liking, but there is the advantage that when you do a search on the CC website you will be shown a number of sites with weekend availability, instead of checking many individual sites - not so easy on the C&CC website I admit, but once you are logged in it's relatively easy to check 2 or 3 sites in specified locations.

Another nod for ukcampsite.co.uk.....we've found it a handy website for finding "Friday after-work bolt-holes" .. (especially as it also provides "reviews") :-D

.. if used along with one of the "club" websites, as well as just general internet searching (ie Google maps, "campsites near....") usually bring up something.

hi, we are in Gloucestershire also, cant do the pub ( but you would be welcome to share a glass) but will be at eastnor deerpark tomorrow for the weekend, totally basic camping for £8.50/n with the benefit of maybe some deer watching with direct access to the Malvern hills 16 mile ridge?

google eastnor deerpark camping

good enough?

snail

Sorry I didn't think my question was confusing. I obviously didn't make myself clear. I know how to find CLs and I know about UK camp sites etc. I guess what I was trying to say was that in this country the sites that i am looking for just don't exist.

Obviously I am too fussy but I don't want to sit in a field where the only walk is along a main road and I have to drive to a pub.

There are plenty of such sites out there. We use them!

Have a search on the Caravan Club Forum where there was a thread running headed "Sites where a car is not needed".... or similar heading .... loads of ideas there.

Sounds as if the Britstops scheme might suit you? We keep meaning to try it out.

Gwendolyn - 2015-06-02 6:55 PM

There are plenty of such sites out there. We use them!

Yes, same here..

...and I'm surprised that nothing can be found via the likes ukcampsite and Google....

Multiplamum- I know you say that you're in Gloucestershire but what region / radius are you looking at ..?

We don't struggle at all, we seem to like similar sites to you, plenty of walks, somewhere for a drink or meal and we do try our best to avoid the muddy fields.

Maybe its the area as much as anything, we are spoiled in the North West with Wales and the Peaks as there are so many good sites.

Another vote for UK Campsite here, you can narrow down a search to include the type of facilities you are after.

Maybe you are spoiled now you have been to France? Pretty much everyone agrees its the best place to motorhome, its wonderful but the UK does have a lot to offer too. Hope you find some places that tick the boxes so you aren't restricted to the annual holiday

No, you are not the only one. That's why we generally holiday abroad but seldom use for weekends.

Most of the UK sites we enjoy are significant distances from our home in Bucks and so are not really practical for weekends or short breaks.

Unfortunately there are not really that many sites/areas we really enjoy in the UK.

Peter

multiplamum - 2015-06-02 10:00 PM

The UK is definitely more geared up for caravans, if you are 5 miles from a town or attraction in a motorhome then you might as well be 50 miles away if you don't want to move your motorhome every time you go out.

Thats why we tow our car on an A-Frame when in the UK. We never have a struggle finding sites, but then we love the UK.

.....or if you are (or want to be) less dependent on a car, try decent electric bikes....wonderful things.

last week, went 25km to St Maxine golfclub, up a huge hill.....an hour on the practice range, took the long way back to the site, 66km round trip, not too knackered and I'm in my sixties.....also battery still more than half full..round again?...who needs a car?

bolero boy - 2015-06-03 7:24 AM

.....or if you are (or want to be) less dependent on a car, try decent electric bikes....wonderful things.

last week, went 25km to St Maxine golfclub, up a huge hill.....an hour on the practice range, took the long way back to the site, 66km round trip, not too knackered and I'm in my sixties.....also battery still more than half full..round again?...who needs a car?

We do, wife is disabled and we have 2 Labrador dogs, what might be good for you is not always good ,or even possible for others.Electric bikes do sound fun though.Provided it doesn't rain.

If your into Pubs then why not spend a little time googling rural pubs in the area you want to visit. Use Google maps and streetview to find ones with large car parks then either just wing it and turn up and smile and ask to stay over or give them a call before you go.

Most rural pubs with decent car parks will not object to you staying a night or two if your going to use the pub. As mentioned if you want to do it officially Brit Stops http://www.britstops.com/ is a good scheme. Your not obliged to spend money at the sites and they are free but clearly the idea is that you hopefully will.

Try the Exe Valley site, privately owned good facilities on the banks of the River Exe. Its 100 yards from the nearest pub for food and drinks and 2 miles flat walk to Winsford where there is another pub and a nice tea room.

Rayjsj - 2015-06-03 9:41 AM

bolero boy - 2015-06-03 7:24 AM

We do, wife is disabled and we have 2 Labrador dogs, what might be good for you is not always good ,or even possible for others.Electric bikes do sound fun though.Provided it doesn't rain.

not seeing any rain here, Ray....In fact, set for a small rise into the low thirties this week.....of only you could see the colour of the sky....Azure..(as in Cote d').....beautiful.

I replied about ebikes as the OP made no suggestion of being less abled and i qualified my post, asking if they wanted to be less dependent on a car.......if they are less abled and need a car, your advice is obviously valid.....

PS.....no dogs here.....see my post on CT to understand why.....

This site finder gives a lot of search selections

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/

Scroll down the LH side & open the tabs. Like open "Nearby amenities" give option to select "Bar nearby" Once site is selected nearby Pubs are shown, with distances, to the right.

One that comes to mind in your area is the Tudor Arms @ Slimbridge. Site is immediately behind the pub (it's popular with good pub-grub) & along side of the Bristol Gloucester Canal for walking. Or walk on road to Slimbridge Wildfowl (can be busy until midmorning & then late afternoon)

Archived