Queen tried to use state poverty fund to heat Buckingham Palace

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

The Queen asked ministers for a poverty handout to help heat her palaces but was rebuffed because they feared it would be a public relations disaster, documents disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act reveal.

Royal aides were told that the £60m worth of energy-saving grants were aimed at families on low incomes and if the money was given to Buckingham Palace instead of housing associations or hospitals it could lead to "adverse publicity" for the Queen and the Government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-tried-to-use-state-poverty-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html

We all know how much you hate the Royal family. Many of us on here do not share your feelings.

Freedom of speech is one thing but monotony is quite another and as you do not appear to wish to enter politics yourself to try to get things changed maybe it is time to give it a rest.

Maybe the Royal family are just as, if not more, entitled to state support when the rules allow it, just as much as illegal and EU migrants who have contributed nothing yet claim so much and I for one do not blame them for trying?

Guest pelmetman

Given the choice between the Queen and the likes of the people who we see on "Benefit Street"......I know who is more deserving ;-) ..........

Peter James - 2015-06-02 4:23 PM

The Queen asked ministers for a poverty handout to help heat her palaces ...............................

I doubt that very much Peter.

Some of her lackeys may well have done so - but she may well have been unaware of it.

;-)

donna miller - 2015-06-02 5:35 PM

Personally I don't think people who can afford a motorhome should be entitled to it. :D

I agree with you Donna but I, like everyone else who does not need it, just say thank you very much and accept it!

Guest Peter James
donna miller - 2015-06-02 5:35 PM

If she's of pensionable age then she's entitled to the winter fuel payments the same as everyone else

...... same as everyone else will be about £400 then *-)

Obviously we cannot, in this age of austerity, give the Queen a blank cheque to run her household but I do wish we hadn't put her in a position from which her people have to try to play the system to keep the money coming in. It dosn't fit with having a monarchy somehow, and we certainly benefit from having one of those.

I agree with Tracker that Peter James riding his hobby horse at every opportunity is boring.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2015-06-03 8:49 AM

we certainly benefit from having one of those.

Who is 'we' ?

Peter James - 2015-06-03 10:10 AM

we certainly benefit from having one of those.

Who is 'we' ?

You already know the answer, but just in case -

The United Kingdom as one nation has benefited for many years and will continue to for many years from the publicity and stability of our monarchy.

Even the Australians agree!

UK citizenship is not pick and mix it comes as a package, warts and all, and whilst it is not perfect there are precious few countries that are better on overall balance in my view.

(lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2015-06-03 11:47 AM

The United Kingdom as one nation

Or as Gideon Osborne says 'We're all in it together' *-)

Guest Peter James

'Ask the powerful five questions:

What power have you got?

Where did you get it from?

In whose interests do you exercise it?

To whom are you accountable?...

How can we get rid of you?

Only democracy gives us that right. That is why no-one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it; including you and me, here and now.'

Tony Benn.

Peter James - 2015-06-07 9:52 AM

What power have you got?

Only democracy gives us that right. That is why no-one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it; including you and me, here and now.'

Tony Benn.

But when he asked that question of " powerful people " he didn't mention the queen.

( Maybe he didn't think she was powerful ? )

;-)

Peter James - 2015-06-07 9:52 AM

What power have you got?

Tony Benn.

Even Tony knew the heads of FIFA were bent ... Good old Tony

Talking of another Tony ... Having lied his way through most if his time as prime minister and failed big time in his Middle East position he now wants to stand against rising anti-Semitic hatred ... If I was Jewish I'd be worried , very worried

Guest frankie640

I agree with Tracker that Peter James riding his hobby horse at every opportunity is boring.

Maybe, but he has just as much right as anybody else to put forward his views. If it's so boring, why do you and all the others on here respond to his posts on the subject?.

Archived