OOPs

donna miller

Now I can't remember who it was on here who claimed that there had never been a reported accident of a M/Home towing a car on an A frame, Well that statement went out of the window this afternoon. We were out on the bike down by Swansea (M&P Motorcycles) when we passed a Hymer parked up on the opposite side of the road, I could see a small Toyota behind it and several bumper shaped pieces of plastic scattered around. My immediate thought was "someone didn't stop in time" But as we passed there was an A frame attached to the back of the motorhome and the front O/side of the car, the whole N/side front of the car was ripped away and was in several large pieces.

I don't know what happened because we didn't see it and they were still there an hour or so later when we went back past there.

As long as no-one was hurt that's all that matters but they are looking at a huge bill to repair what looked like a 14 plated car .

I have had a few lorry drivers 'near miss' me on mini roundabouts, when they try to 'push in' between me and my towed car. Hope the one you saw had witnesses, and was well insured ? Both my car and van are insured with the CC and they insured 'as a unit' and seperately fully comp.

From Donna's description it sounds to me more like the A Frame had ripped out of the N/S mounting to the car rather than an accident with another vehicle.

Perhaps Donna could add further to clarify one way or the other please.

Keith.

We didn't see it happen but there definately wasn't any other vehicle involved, my thoughts are that one (o/s ?) of the securing pins came adrift and when the van then turned left off the small roundabout it literally ripped the nearside of the car out because it wasn't pulling the car properly on both pins.

That might explain how the car was angled towards the middle of the road when we passed.

I could be wrong (but that's highly unlikely according to some :D )

Not securing the frame to car properly would certainly 'Do It'. I have a written check list that I always Run through before setting off. which includes double checking EVERYTHING. I have still seen more 'Car Caravan' nasties, than i have with A-frames, mind you there are a lot more 'Car + Caravans' about ! doesn't pay to get complacent with your checks though.

The securing Pins are VERY strong, and the internal pulling Frame is stronger than the original Cross member, so doubt it was a component failure, more likely 'human error'. Be interested to find out .

Some A Frame manufacturers use the original towing eye thread for one side of the mounting and 'fabricate' a matching part for the other. I have heard of one instance in the past where the 'fabricated' side of the attachment (usually the UK N/S as the original tends to be O/S) failed at the welds to the attachment bracket. .This would explain the chunks of bumper being ripped off the car and the A Frame still being attached to the O/S as Donna first said.

A possibility?

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-06-09 10:16 PM

Some A Frame manufacturers use the original towing eye thread for one side of the mounting and 'fabricate' a matching part for the other. I have heard of one instance in the past where the 'fabricated' side of the attachment (usually the UK N/S as the original tends to be O/S) failed at the welds to the attachment bracket. .This would explain the chunks of bumper being ripped off the car and the A Frame still being attached to the O/S as Donna first said.

A possibility?

Keith.

. Definitely not a Car-a-tow then, as mine has a complete replacement front crossmember, as I said stronger than the original, which I still have in my shed. I wonder what make it was ? I must admit that some I have seen boasting 'full servo brakes' have looked a bit 'flimsy' in the actual metalwork department, but then, I'm no automotive engineer.

• 1 month later...

I see that several cases have now surfaced of A frame attachment failures. Not good.

It occurs to me that the front of a modern car designed to absorb the impact of a frontal crash might not be up to the job of A framing.

p.s. one was a car-a-tow fitted to front of a 207.

Guest JudgeMental
second report in a week of a car being pulled in half..I cant post link from other forum as the mods will stamp a jack boot on it *-)

Archived