Citroen Relay double passenger seat swivel

jameswalshaw

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a double seat swivel for a citroen relay/boxer/ducato? I have contacted a couple of companies that do swivel bases for T5's but I just get the same run around from them all saying, ah yes its been tested and going in to production and 3 months later, still nothing.

Thanks for any advice

James

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, James.

I can’t find any indication that a double seat swivel is currently offered for a Relay/Boxer/Ducato (any model, any age).

All I can suggest is that you keep badgering the people that market this type of product (example here)

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/vw-t5-swivels

and ask them to contact you when (if) what you are looking becomes available. My gut-feeling is that - if a double seat swivel has not been produced commercially for a Relay/Boxer/Ducato by now - it won’t be.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Derek

Apologies for the very late reply, I think you are right.

I've been in touch with a company for some time now who claim they have a relay swivel base past testing, but not in production yet. Its been like that for months now so my guess is its a load of old guff.!!

I am a design engineer and have a manufacturing facility, if there base does not materialise in a month or so I am going to manufacture my own and get it tested for sale.

I cant believe that no one is retailing a base for one of the most converted vehicles yet.

Regards - James

jameswalshaw - 2015-09-01 7:48 PM

I cant believe that no one is retailing a base for one of the most converted vehicles yet.

Regards - James

But, MH's don't typically use the double passenger seat. They nearly all use a single passenger seat to allow access to the rear. Hence why you can't find a swivel for your double seat.

Simple really.

Keith.

Guest Peter James

Is there room for the double passenger seat to swivel?

I got a double passenger seat as standard on my van.

Managed to find a single passenger seat on ebay, but they are as rare as hens teeth and it cost me £260.

Wheras there is a glut of double passenger seats - I have seen a brand new unused X2/50 double passenger seat, complete with belts, go for the starting price of £5.

Well that's only simple! if you are couple or a family of four.

In a situation where you have a single child they are very unlikely to embrace a trip through the uk or Europe

stuck in the back on there own.

therefore 3 seats upfront is essential! and obviously the swivel utilises the space

james

Hi James'..

Just a thought...do you "need" the seats for use when in the swivelled position?..or would just freeing up space by using something like a drop down double T5 type seat suffice?

example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-rear-bench-double-VW-T5-PLACE-Transporter-Caravelle-GP-Facelift-/251322416483?hash=item3a83fbbd63e (pricey though!)

(Having said that, I suppose if you were able swap to VW type seats, you may as well find an appropriate swivel..and just make it fit your cab floor fixings?).

Sorry James I didn't mean to offend with my comment. I only meant the reason no-one manufactured a swivel for a double seat was simple, namely that the market for them is very, very small.

I think you will find the number of campers/MH's with double seats is very small. As Peter has added he swapped a double seat to a single seat when he built his camper.

As Peter has previously asked, is there actually enough room to swivel a double seat within the cab? And where would its centre of rotation have to be to successfully swivel? Before pursuing a suitable swivel have you tried to rotate it on the base?

Again, sorry if my comment offended, it was not intended to. :$

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-09-02 9:30 AM

As Peter has previously asked, is there actually enough room to swivel a double seat within the cab? And where would its centre of rotation have to be to successfully swivel? Before pursuing a suitable swivel have you tried to rotate it on the base?

Keith.

Many years ago, a work mate fabricated one for his LDV..and I recall there was a fair bit faffing about and many mock-ups made, before he got the final geometry and rotation procedure sorted..it was doable though. :-D

But he did pretty much start from scratch ( eg fabricated a complete new seat base-box mount for starters) and I'm not entirely sure that he used the original double seat?..it may well have been from something slightly smaller?

..and I remember his did need a good deal of lateral & fore'n'aft adjustment(jiggling about!) whilst it was being rotated though..it certainly wasn't an effortless "swish"... (lol)

sorry keith for my abruptness i'm not offended just frustrated and I understand what you say but I would have thought that the ducato/boxer/relay was a more popular option than in the link below??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Motorhome-Camper-Van-Double-Seat-Swivel-Base-RHD-UK-Model-/291552821662?hash=item43e1e7019e

As for the swivelling bit yes there is plenty of room to turn the seat I fitted a swivel base to a renault traffic conversion and the principle for the ducato is pretty much the same.

James

• 3 months later...
jameswalshaw - 2015-09-02 11:12 AM

like I said the current ones on the market do work really well and the traffic one I fitted certainly did swish!!

And... have you find a solution?

For example tried to modify a Ford Transit Double Seat Swivel?

I would really would like to know if anyone has found a solution for the Ducato/Boxer/Jumper with a double seat. We are at the point of investigating how to build our camper and a double swivel would be really great!

Hi;

I'm struggling to understand how you would use a swivelling double seat in a layout.

I can understand that a family of 3 would enjoy travelling together more with all 3 up front, but I'm not sure how I would incorporate a double seat into a space effective layout.

Has anyone got a sketch?

Thanks

alan b

snowie - 2015-12-24 12:26 AM

how I would incorporate a double seat into a space effective layout.

Has anyone got a sketch?

Thanks

alan b

At this moment I do not have a sketch, but I can tell you our idea.

We would like to convert a normal Fiat Ducato into a Camper and at this moment we have 2 children, so that makes 4 persons that need a seat(+belt),

This is possible by using a sleep-coach from Reimo etc. that has 2 seats.

So that makes 4 seats in total. But we would like to have one more child in the future, so than we would need the extra seat in front.

If me make the driver seat swivel + the double seat we create a nice "dinette" where we can all sit by.

Ok, maybe we need to add an extra table or something for the passenger seat, but we will figure that out ;-)

First we need to be able to swivel the double seat.

Thee swivel bases in the e-bay link all appear to follow the same format, the major difference being the bolt locations to pick up the factory mounting points. The main problem adapting would be non-compliance with Certification Approval.

If you look at the certification on the links the manufacturer is stated & a web search should give contact details to ask if they produce for the "sevel" vehicles

Mike88 - 2015-12-24 11:03 AM

Surely a double swivel would have insufficient room to turn as the rear part of the seat would foul the dashboard.

Nope, that's not the case, the swivel has a "line" in the middle, so you can move it 10cm back and forth during the turn.

Extra images:

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/vw-t5-swivels/trafic-vivaro-double-seat-swivel-european-left-hand-drive-version

Keithl - 2015-12-24 12:09 PM

Is your Ducato post 2006?

If Yes then Kiravans do offer a double seat swivel... http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/vw-t5-swivels/ducatto-double-seat-swivel-uk-right-hand-drive-model

No pictures but website does say "Available".

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I also just found this one :-D

But thats the UK version, I need the EU version. Just e-mailed Kiravans for more info.

If I know more I will post it here.

Hi All,

Good news!

I got the following response from Kiravans:

As per my previous email, I've had an update on the left hand drive version for the double swivel for the Ducato.

We are currently waiting for feedback on the EUR version, once we get this back we will then be able to start producing it, we should expect it to be released in 3 months.

The UK version can already be found here: http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/vw-t5-swivels/ducatto-double-seat-swivel-uk-right-hand-drive-model

dodobird - 2015-12-30 7:18 PM

Hi All,

Good news!

I got the following response from Kiravans:

As per my previous email, I've had an update on the left hand drive version for the double swivel for the Ducato.

We are currently waiting for feedback on the EUR version, once we get this back we will then be able to start producing it, we should expect it to be released in 3 months.

The UK version can already be found here: http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/vw-t5-swivels/ducatto-double-seat-swivel-uk-right-hand-drive-model

Fantastic news!

But why has the RHD Ducato been listed under VW T5? Seems really logical to me (NOT!).

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just acquired a Citroen Relay with the ubiquitous double passenger seat. If the Kiravans swivel is a workable solution then I'd much prefer to use that than swap it out for a single. At £289 for the swivel it would still be cheaper than buying a single seat plus single swivel, and having the option of a third seat in the front is potentially useful to me.

If anyone buys and fits one of these could you please post your experiences on here.

Thanks

Kim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived