Burstner Habitation wiring

nomad

Hi, I have recently purchased a Burstner Viseo motorhome and (fortunately) the first item which I decided to fit was an LCD clock. I connected it to the wires at the rear of one of the "Hella" sockets and found that it did not work, so as it had been working in my previous van I tested the power to the Hella socket and found that the positive was blue and the negative was brown, not only that I also found that they had been wrongly connected to the Hella socket. The clock did not suffer any damage I am pleased to say but what would have happened if I had connected a TV or Satellite box to I hate to think.

The other Hella socket is connected correctly but still with the live being in the blue lead.

I have always worked on the principle of brown/red as positive and blue as negative can anybody tell me which is correct please

nomad - 2015-08-24 8:02 PM

I have always worked on the principle of brown/red as positive and blue as negative can anybody tell me which is correct please

Colin,

You are confusing 230 volt and 12 volt wiring, and never the twain shall meet :D

...well, if we're going to be picky about it, lets just make it more clear.

It would appear to be conventional for German motorhome manufacturers to wire the habitation 12v electrics with blue as live (+ve), and brown as earth (-ve).

One would hope (given it is a European standard), that the normal conventions used in the UK apply to 230v wiring.

;-)

Archived