Recovering a leisure battery.

Trevor S

I would greatly appreciate any help from any battery experts out there.

Firstly, the story of why my leisure battery went totally flat - the Truma electric elements failed, the motorhome spent 4 weeks in a workshop and when I picked it up the control panel was showing only 2.2 volts for the leisure battery it been let run completely flat by the (NCC) workshop.

After telling me that it not their fault, the suggestion was to connect to a 7 stage charger to recover the battery.

I have purchased a Ring Smart battery charger (RSC608) and after 24 hours the battery is still completely flat.

I have seen on the Ring forum a comment that the charger will not recognise the battery unless it has 5 volts and if less that 5 volts connect to a linear charger first.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

I don't know now if the battery is kn*****d, or if the Ring charger can't do what i bought it for.

Perhaps I just should have bought a new battery....

Trevor S - 2015-08-29 7:08 PM

Perhaps I just should have bought a new battery....

Yes. And taken the bill back to the workshop that flattened and politely asked for a refund.

An alternative method to try and recover a battery when the charger does not recognise it is to connect another battery in parallel and charge the pair until the flat battery has enough charge to carry on on its own. Be very careful when connecting and disconnecting batteries to avoid sparks as the consequences can be disastrous

Keith..

Connect the two batteries together via a 12 volt light bulb until the voltage comes back up above 10.5volts.

Unfortunately though if the battery is well used then it is unlikely to recover from such a deep discharge.

The problem is not just one of sulphation but taking a battery so low under load means some cells get reverse charged and they are almost impossible to recover.

I once recovered a battery using the tablets you could buy in Halfords, one into each cell. It worked for a while but really the battery was knackered and I had to replace it.

We tend to think that batteries are "permanent" things which should last a long time if not indefinitely but in reality they are a mixed bunch of durable and much less durable devices. If you damage a really good one by an accidental deep,deep discharge it might be recoverable by the means described but even then its life will have been shortened.

As expected, battery was discharged beyond recovery. So new battery purchased and all is OK now.

I spent most of my working life is a sales and one of the key things in keeping customers happy is how to deal with complaints. Things go wrong in life and the test comes when a customer (me in this case) needs a problem resolved.

After being a good customer of the workshop for several years (with no complaints) its disappointing to find that they are not really interested in trying to satisfy me and more concerned with denying anything could be fault.

I can't be bothered to argue, life's too short. But I will not be giving them any more of my hard earned dosh.

Thanks for your replies

Archived