C&CC M6 Toll Survey

Keithl

If you are a Caravan Club Member you get a very worthwhile discount. A car plus caravan pays the ordinary car rate, as does a MH, with or without trailer. Just go to a toll both with a cashier and show your memebership card before you pay, simple as that!

For our MH plus car on a railer I think the M6 Toll, discounted in this way, is good value.

Survey done.

I live 60 miles north of the M6 toll road so have strong feelings about it. It was built with the intention of taking traffic away from Birmingham. It's never achieved that at all and is a total nonsense. The only way forward is to remove all charges and open the road up which would then relieve some of the strain of getting past Birmingham. Every time i drive past the toll road i see very few vehicles opting to use it and rarely if ever any commercial vehicles.

Bulletguy - 2015-09-04 10:08 PM

Survey done.

I live 60 miles north of the M6 toll road so have strong feelings about it. It was built with the intention of taking traffic away from Birmingham. It's never achieved that at all and is a total nonsense. The only way forward is to remove all charges and open the road up which would then relieve some of the strain of getting past Birmingham. Every time i drive past the toll road i see very few vehicles opting to use it and rarely if ever any commercial vehicles.

Exactly, just like the toll roads in France, over priced = under used - simples.

So why not reduce the charge and increase the use?

Or perhaps they prefer a quiet life?

Last Thursday lunchtime, travelled down the M6 from Cumbria, heading to the south-west via the M5. Only sensible way appeared to be to take the direct route and avoiding the toll. But I regretted it - the traffic was awful and we just crawled and crawled for ages.

It didn't look as though many vehicles took the toll, but I'd have considered it and gone all round the the M42 to the south of Birmingham (a section I know well and use frequently), to get back on the M5 if I'd reaIised how bad the M6 would be. We're members of the Caravan Club, so could have had half-price in the car I think.

But as already mentioned by others, the toll doesn't appear to have significantly eased the traffic on the M6 southbound, heading towards and past Brum.

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-09-05 9:59 PM

Last Thursday lunchtime, travelled down the M6 from Cumbria, heading to the south-west via the M5. Only sensible way appeared to be to take the direct route and avoiding the toll. But I regretted it - the traffic was awful and we just crawled and crawled for ages.

Mike

I live just a few miles from Junc 15 of the M6 and to be perfectly honest if travelling anywhere south of there you are far better off making the journey during the night. Throughout daytime hours the M6/5 gets rammed and the last time i drove down to Dover Port was literally the last ever time i drive it again during the day. In future i will do it at night and at least have a clutter free journey.

What certainly doesn't help are the continuous stretches of average speed cam areas which just clog up the traffic even worse, some down to as low as 40mph which is plain bonkers. The other annoyance which infuriates me are miles of coned off areas with 'men at work' signs, often closing off a whole lane....only for no sight of any 'men at work' at all.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2015-09-05 6:55 PM

Exactly, just like the toll roads in France, over priced = under used - simples.

I can see why the French have motorway tolls. They have about 5 times as many foreign registered vehicles on them as Britain because they are a transit country. Vehicles passing through England to Spain, Spain to Italy etc. So they are collecting tolls from foreign vehicles who would otherwise be contributing nothing to their upkeep. But (apart from a tiny amount going to Eire) Britain has no transit traffic at all. Road tolling in Britain is just an expensive and counterproductive way of taxing the British economy.

Bulletguy, agree with you about the M6 including night driving.

From the Wirral, we go down through Cheshire to Nantwich and then along the A50 through Stoke to the M1. Or down to Stone & Lichfield, or Telford and the A5. For the M5, we pick it up north of Worcester, getting down there via Kidderminster. Downside of this is that lorries are increasingly using the A roads to avoid the M6 for getting to the docks on Merseyside and North Wales. So much so that the Nantwich ring road and around Tarvin can grind to a halt.

Hopefully the M6 / M5 will improve when the Junction 8 work between M6 Southbound and the M5 is completed. Unless of course as has often happened in the past they find another stretch that needs repair.

I live in Telford and use the M6 reasonably often, not daily as I used to when working thank goodness.

I have never used the M6T and only very rarely the French toll roads but do use the Dartford Crossing and have credit in their system.

And yes I have completed the C&CC questionnaire.

Brock - 2015-09-06 12:56 PM

Bulletguy, agree with you about the M6 including night driving.

From the Wirral, we go down through Cheshire to Nantwich and then along the A50 through Stoke to the M1. Or down to Stone & Lichfield, or Telford and the A5. For the M5, we pick it up north of Worcester, getting down there via Kidderminster. Downside of this is that lorries are increasingly using the A roads to avoid the M6 for getting to the docks on Merseyside and North Wales. So much so that the Nantwich ring road and around Tarvin can grind to a halt.

Yes i know those roads pretty well as i actually live in Madeley and used to work near Alsager. There is a stretch of road from the by-pass around Nantwich leading down to Junc 16 of the M6 which was built in the late 80's. This part here; http://oi62.tinypic.com/9fyvi8.jpg It's been an absolute nightmare bottleneck from day one due to the crackpot design....a single track road. Absolutely bonkers when you can clearly see the amount of land either side. Overtaking is a risky manouevre and it's one stretch of road you do NOT want to be on during 'office hours' or the school run! It should have been built as a dual carriageway but, not sure how true it is, locals will tell you when the A500 was first built they 'ran out of money' at this part so went for the cheap option. Quite believable as major roadworks in Stoke-on-Trent have only recently seen an underpass built near the centre which should have been done at the time the A500 was built....but the budget didn't allow!

There is an alternative which avoids it....a B road via Englesea Brook and Barthomley which get's you to the same M6 junction; http://oi62.tinypic.com/2s8h4dz.jpg I drove this road twice a day for 30 years on my way to and from work, but as you can see it's extremely narrow!

Travelling down to Dover or my sons place in London, i stopped using the M1 many years ago now in preference to the M40 which is a bit less busy but i won't be going to Dover Port again during the day. I will do it at night instead now.

Brock - 2015-09-06 12:42 PM

Don't believe in tolls on roads as we pay enough in taxation as it is. I've completed the survey.

There are other ways for me to avoid using the M6/M6 toll so I use them.

Done the survey. I agree, I think it is a scandal that this 'Birmingham relief road' is tolled, hence No HGV's use it, and Birmingham is still suffering massive pollution from the original clogged M6. Remove the Tolls immediately.

We travelled down the M6 car park from Manchester to Stratford on Avon and back. No way was I paying the same price as a 42 Ton artic for our 6 mtr camper. On the other hand had I known we could have travelled for the same price as a car I might have stumped up, and will certainly pay next time. The offer dosn't seem to well advertised, if at all, Perhaps C&CC could do a write up in the next Magazine,

Fill in the survey, If you don't Voice Your Opinion no one will hear it.

Paul

I used to do this route every day, I came off at junction 10, Black Country route and down through West Brom to join the M5 at junction 1. All dual carriageway. At present the M5 is single lane so traffic backs up to J11a. Keep to the left on the hard shoulder.

The toll is useful if aiming for the M1 or M40, car rate if in the CC.

Not a member so won't be completing the survey - I assume you have to be.

Absolutely love using the M6 Toll, terrific aid to driving. Less traffic = less stress = less accidents. Using my CC discount makes it even more attractive, plus I can afford it so it's an absolute no brainer.

God bless disposable income.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-09-06 6:57 PM

Absolutely love using the M6 Toll, terrific aid to driving. Less traffic = less stress = less accidents. Using my CC discount makes it even more attractive, plus I can afford it so it's an absolute no brainer.

Martyn

Wise :-D

Guest Peter James
Muswell - 2015-09-06 11:14 PM

Martyn

If you only think of 'Whats better for ME' rather than whats better for the country as a whole ?

http://www.notolls.org.uk/england.htm#dartford

Peter James - 2015-09-07 8:47 AM

Muswell - 2015-09-06 11:14 PM

Martyn

If you only think of 'Whats better for ME' rather than whats better for the country as a whole ?

http://www.notolls.org.uk/england.htm#dartford

The M6 Toll was built with private funding so as not to burden the taxpayer. You may not agree with the pricing structure the owners have chosen but that is their choice. If you want what's best for the country it needs to be bought out by the government.

Have used the M6 toll on occasions, both in the car and with the Motorhome. As members of the Caravan Club we expected to get the discounted rate, but having left atone of the the intermediate junctions, there was only an automated toll both, and seemingly no way to claim my discount. ON the return journey we used it from start to end, and there was a manned toll both to pay, so got the discount one way!

It is certainly a far better journey - whether by car or MH - and the services are far better than any on the M6 in that area.

Archived