what about Qpods

Archiesgrandad

I'm resting between jobs at the moment, until we return from a trip to the UK, so I've been sorting the van out to prepare it for it's registration in France, and I'm starting to plan and dream a bit. We're only about 4 hours from the Med, and the Atlantic is only a little further, I can hardly wait, but I'm not getting any younger and I don't think I will be able to do as much cycling as I used to, so I'm looking at the options.

I can't go down the "A" frame route, and although CG and I were both keen motorcyclist in days gone by, I'm not sure she's up to it these days, so what's left?

Did anyone ever try the Qpod? With it's draw bar arrangement, and a total weight of less than 750kilo, it should be legal to tow behind the van, and for just pottering about it could be good fun, so I would welcome your thoughts.

AGD

So if you're not going to tow it on an A frame how are you going to tow it?

And remember the rules on trailers, if the trailer has brakes then they must work. So if the Qpod has brakes (which I assume it must) then they must work if it is towed AS a trailer. (ie not ON a trailer).

This has all been gone over before and I'm afraid you won't win the argument if stopped.

Keith.

Edit. Just realised what you mean by it's drawbar! It is lifted up at the front so only it's rear wheels are on the ground. But as it still has wheels on the ground with brakes my statement still stands.

We're beginning to get there, but just for the record, I'm not considering buying one at this time, but I do have a problem which must, at some time, be solved, and I find the prospect of a viable fun car intriguing.

So, I believe the Qpod only weighs about 380 kilos, therefore there is no need to consider the implications of a trailer over 750 kilos, even if you obtain/create a trailer to carry the Qpod it would surely be under 750 kilos and such a trailer does not have to be registered in France.

Secondly the point about not being able to register a Qpod in France, I really don't know, but I do know that France is the home of the quadricycle, which a Qpod would probably be registered as, and out here in the wild parts you are practically tripping over the Aixams and Ligier and Microcars when you travel through the lanes. France is also home to lots of quadbikes and buggy type vehicles which are street registered, so I can't see why a Qpod would be excluded, but I'd love to know.

What I was really hoping for was that someone out there has tried one and might be prepared to tell us about it. My thoughts are that it would be great to be able to park the van, go round the back and unhitch the Qpod, withdraw the drawbar and rock off down the road to do a bit of shopping, see the sites etc., with no trailer to store or pay for and so on.

In another life we did have a Ligier which I drove occasionally in the UK, and if it could be fitted with a drawbar in the same way and still come under 750 kilos, that would do, but as far as I know that was not an option.

Anyway, if anyone out there does have any relevant experience I would love to hear it.

AGD

I've only ever seen one Qpod and that was on a campsite in France, towed by a Brit van.

My overall impression was that it was extremely noisy. The engine is air-cooled so not really surprising.

So, before you buy, consider the noise aspect especially if you intend to use it on a longish journey.

The old VW air-cooled Beatle was OK because you were well insulated from the back end. With the Qpod you don't have that luxury.

I used a quad bike towed on a trailer when my hymer was on french plates.the quad was also french.i know that micro cars are common due to them needing next to no paperwork.but the french are very odd about somethings.i would take a few details of things you think you may get, and take them to your local french transport office.even if the qpod can be towed, it as an engine and will need insurance. Maybe keeping it English would be the answer if you plan to return to the uk each year.michael

Archived