Help please, Dometic fridge problem

Tony M

Hi All

We are currently in the southern Peloponnese region of Greece and our RM8501 fridge has stopped working properly on gas.

The burner lights as normal and stays on ok but only cools slightly. The freezer is about the temperature of the main fridge when working normally. The different settings on the thermostat control don't appear to be making any difference.

I have removed the vent grille and I also have a fan fitted, but as it was previously working fine when ambient temperatures were higher a fault must have developed.

Any suggestions would be most welcome as the nearest dealer is in Athens and probably won't keep parts in stock.

Regards,

Tony

I would hazard a guess that the jet is partially blocked and hence the flame is not strong enough to allow the fridge to function correctly. Try getting the jet cleaned (do not prick it with anything, only blow clean) and see if this improves things.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

That could be a possibility I suppose.

It means removing the fridge completely as the lower vent is under the floor on my van (Adria Compact)

Do you think it is possible to clean the jet or would it be better to try and get a new one?

I believe the jets are quite cheap so, in view of the difficult access, replacing should avoid having to have two bites at the cherry.

All three energy supplies feed the same refrigeration system, so if it works on one the basic system is OK and, as Keith implies, your problem is limited to the gas side.

If anything, it should work a little better on gas than electricity so, as you say the flame remains lit, it may well be the jet, or possibly that that the burner has become misaligned and no longer places the flame where it needs to go.

If the fridge is to come out anyway, it might be a good time to give it a thorough overhaul and clean the flue as well, as that may be the source of whatever has blocked the jet - always assuming that is the problem.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay getting back to you. We have been without wifi for the last few days.

I removed the fridge and was able to clean the jet and burner although they looked pristine with no sign of any soot or build up. Haven't tried it on gas since though as we don't want to risk losing our food in the hot weather we are having here.

As you suggest I will replace the jet when I can find a Dometic agent in Greece.

Regards,

Tony

Lucky devil you got some hot weather, it's only 35 deg in Itea in Central Greece, 31 at moment at 11 pm :D

Our 8505 is working fine in 35 deg before I sorted it out it was crap in 20 deg.

Check the jet should be a No.16, some came out with a No. 45, and if the burner roars and you can hear it inside the van which is what mine was like, the burner wasn't accuratly lined up with the jet, just needed a bit of bending with fingers of the crap metalwork.

My Auto-Trail is fitted with a Dometic RM 7361 and developed an ignition fault whilst in Benidorm this year. It turned out to be the flame ignition control unit which is a sealed electronic grey plastic box with 8 connectors attached. The fault was quickly diagnosed and I was lucky that the fitter had a spare in his van otherwise it could have been a 2 week wait. The part number is Dometic RM 7361 241 278 930/3 if anyone is interested. It measures 90 x 55 x 30 and is secured with a couple of screws and a small steel bracket.

Hi Lenny ,

I don't think the problem can be due to the wrong jet as we have used the fridge on gas lots of times in Greece and Spain in similar temperatures to what we are experiencing at the moment. In fact when we arrived here in August it was mid thirties and it worked fine.

Having removed the jet for cleaning I would agree with you that the quality doesn't appear that great though.

Tony

Hi Rolandrat,

Yes, after much research this is the component that I think could be the problem on my fridge, although on the Dometic bumpf I found on the Internet it calls it the burner control device. It appears to be linked to the gas valve and temperature sensor so I assume it lets the gas valve know when more heat is required.

I think I might take the plunge and have one sent out to me.

Hi Tony, I think that will solve your problem. Good Luck.

This is the guy I can recommend for rectifying problems in the Benidorm area, he is very good.

Caravan Care, mobile caravan technician,

Paul Caton.

Phone 65 000 65 65

He does travel throughout the area. He carries quite a bit of stock in his van.

Archived