Awful Retro fit clock

Bulletguy

Why oh why do folk fit such horribly old fashioned clocks in modern build PVCs/MH's? The same mentality have a penchant for leaded glass windows in modern build houses. *-)

A previous plonker owner fitted one of these nasty things in my van; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-clock-/221884617643?hash=item33a95a93ab hacking a 2.5" square hole into a wood cupboard door to stick the damn thing in.

It's never worked and i decided to try replacing it with a more up to date digital but despite scouring fleabay, cannot find anything (other than the same horrible clock!!) to fit in existing hole or even one which is slightly bigger.

Bulletguy - 2015-09-18 12:52 AM

Why oh why do folk fit such horribly old fashioned clocks in modern build PVCs/MH's? The same mentality have a penchant for leaded glass windows in modern build houses. *-)

A previous plonker owner fitted one of these nasty things in my van; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-clock-/221884617643?hash=item33a95a93ab hacking a 2.5" square hole into a wood cupboard door to stick the damn thing in.

It's never worked and i decided to try replacing it with a more up to date digital but despite scouring fleabay, cannot find anything (other than the same horrible clock!!) to fit in existing hole or even one which is slightly bigger.

Can't see what is nasty about the clock in the link, but as someone once said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Of course, the clock was in the van when you bought it!

Dave

Good excuse to pop down to the Black Forest and get yourself a nice cuckoo clock!

Our clock consists of a cheap lidl watch with the strap and lugs cut off and double sided tape sticking it up. Unobtrusive, but there if needed. Its actually quite attractive as looks just like a miniature round clock.

Dave C - 2015-09-18 8:32 AM

Can't see what is nasty about the clock in the link, but as someone once said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Of course, the clock was in the van when you bought it!

It just looks completely naff with old fashioned Roman numerals.

Initially i thought it was an AS fitment but it's not. It's been fitted by a previous owner at some time but in order to fit, he's ruined a perfectly decent piece of wood by hacking a hole in. Annoyingly the only thing i can find to fit back there is........you guessed it........one of those naff clocks!! *-)

Bulletguy - 2015-09-18 4:54 PM

...Annoyingly the only thing i can find to fit back there is........you guessed it........one of those naff clocks!! *-)

BG..there are a couple of clocks on ebay ("caravan clocks) which, although not exactly cutting edge design-wise, are better than the "roman-numeral" jobs...

A couple of possible problems with a digital clock could be, if LCD they may have a limited viewing angle and be poor in bright light?(a free standing LCD one that we had was)...and if LED, then it'll be blazing away all night and may keep you awake..?

(the fridge light on our Duetto was bad enough..and needed a tea towel draping over it (lol) )

pepe63 - 2015-09-18 5:31 PM

...Annoyingly the only thing i can find to fit back there is........you guessed it........one of those naff clocks!! *-)

BG..there are a couple of clocks on ebay ("caravan clocks) which, although not exactly cutting edge design-wise, are better than the "roman-numeral" jobs...

A couple of possible problems with a digital clock could be, if LCD they may have a limited viewing angle and be poor in bright light?(a free standing LCD one that we had was)...and if LED, then it'll be blazing away all night and may keep you awake..?

(the fridge light on our Duetto was bad enough..and needed a tea towel draping over it (lol) )

Yes i've seen them. This is one i think you mean; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-clocks-/391259507999?hash=item5b18e24d1f which is an improvement on the naff roman numerals but looking at the back, would struggle to get a secure flush fit. The start price is way too high for a second hand piece of tat too and £4 postage is plain greedy. Cost half that via courier signed for.

I can't see my fridge light when sleeping as i sleep t'other way around! (lol)

gocro - 2015-09-18 9:34 PM

You can get stainless steel discs (other metals available) from e-bay, to cover the hole and then affix something more to your taste. I use ali plate to cover old holes before fitting my own stuff.

Now that is an excellent idea! I think you've just won first prize goco! :D :D

Tracker - 2015-09-18 9:48 PM

Fit a mirroe over the hole and then you can admire yourself even if nobody else will!

I already have one (standard AS fitment) on the shower/bog room door Richard but rarely look in it as it simply reminds me how much weight i'm supposed to lose......but don't. :-(

Bulletguy - 2015-09-18 6:21 PM

Yes i've seen them. This is one i think you mean; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-clocks-/391259507999?hash=item5b18e24d1f

Of the limited choice, I preferred this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quartz-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat-Replacment-Chrome-Insert-Mounted-72mm-Clock-/161617301750?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

..although it does remind me of the Timex watch that I had as a young boy.. (lol)

(still not flush fitting though, so would probably need the existing hole tweaking...?)

Guest pelmetman

Dave C - 2015-09-18 8:32 AM

Initially i thought it was an AS fitment but it's not. It's been fitted by a previous owner at some time but in order to fit, he's ruined a perfectly decent piece of wood by hacking a hole in. Annoyingly the only thing i can find to fit back there is........you guessed it........one of those naff clocks!! *-)

Looks like its time to sell BG ;-) ................Think of the clock you can buy with the proceeds :D .........

starvin marvin - 2015-09-20 11:54 AM

Try looking at Muji, they do some really nice stuff.

That sounds like a designer label! :D

pelmetman - 2015-09-20 6:07 PM

Looks like its time to sell BG ;-) ................Think of the clock you can buy with the proceeds :D .........

No i'm going with gocro's idea of blanking the hole up then i'll find a 21st century digital in the 99p store which will look much better. Slap it on with some double sided tape which is what the dummy should have done instead of hacking a hole in the wood.

Archived