New alloys wheels

Pipkim

When we bought our new motorhome in March 2015 we had the option of having alloy wheels but the cost was a step too far.

However, we are now reconsidering it and have come across Team Dynamics Scorpion Gloss Anthracite alloy wheels - 15".

Does anyone have any experience of these after-market rims?

PilgrimPhil

My own view is that 15" wheels look too small on motorhomes whatever the size of the vehicle. If I was looking to buy aftermarket wheels I would look into the possibility of buying 16 " wheels. I wonder if anyone has done that if of course it is possible without changing the hubs etc?

Pipkim - 2015-09-18 3:18 PM

When we bought our new motorhome in March 2015 we had the option of having alloy wheels but the cost was a step too far.

However, we are now reconsidering it and have come across Team Dynamics Scorpion Gloss Anthracite alloy wheels - 15".

Does anyone have any experience of these after-market rims?

PilgrimPhil

These rims are an option for Rapido motorhomes built on Al-Ko chassis

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/guide_equipements_optionnels.php

A potential downside of going for ‘after-market’ rims is whether you will be able to obtain a matching wheel afterwards if a rim is badly damaged. If you stick with the standard 15” steel wheels you’ll always be able to obtain a replacement should the need arise (I paid under £50 for a new 15” steel rim when I fitted a spare-wheel in my Rapido), but there’s no guarantee this will be the case with after-market alloys.

However, the Scorpion wheels are not outrageously priced (the Rapido option was an dissuasive £870 in 2014) and you should be able to offset the cost significantly by flogging the original steel wheels.

I think alloy wheels on a Ducato motorhome look comical (a bit like sunglasses on a poodle) but if you feel a yearning for alloys the Scorpion wheels should be perfectly adequate.

I had them fitted a couple of years ago, just check which high pressure valves are appropriate. I think it makes the Moho look less like a truck, just personal preference. They were new on eBay from West Brom, I made a cheap bid and won them for less than the price of steel wheels. 15" are fine as you can just move your tyres over and keep the steels.

Hi Phil

I know you are changing for reasons more than pure looks but do take heed of the advice above re loading etc. You may also need to change the wheel bolts as different ones are often used for alloys - we had to carry a spare set for the spare steel wheel on the IH. You will need to decide if you keep a spare steel wheel or buy five alloys too.

Just as a matter of interest, we have decided to go with standard steel rims too on the new Carthago - apart from cost I was fed up trying to keep the Fiat alloys free from brake dust which eventually started to pit into the alloy. Have to say the steel rims certainly don't look out of place with the metallic grey paintwork.

Regards

David

Thanks for all your comments.

Gavin, at Geoff Cox, has advised that one of his customers has had these alloys fitted and that they will be at the Lincoln Show. He will introduce us so that we can get the "word" directly from someone who has gone through this process.

I am/was aware of the possible need for extra nuts/studs as we had the same thing with our Knaus. The spare steel wheel having it's own set of nuts/studs. Thankfully we never did have the need to use them!

Onward to the Lincoln Show then.............

PilgrimPhil

From a slightly different angle check with your insurer about the effect of fitting aftermarket allows. My first van came with alloys as standard and I considered fitting them on my next one. The insurers said "we don't like alloys" although they seemed unable to articulate why. The proposed premium loading was sufficient to discourage us from pursuing.

Archived