Autotrail Frontier Cherokee 2012 Thule Step problem

52santafe

First time on the forum, hoping someone can help. Went to the MH yesterday, opened the habitation door and the 500 Thule step came down. When I pressed the key fob to close the door, the step retracted but once fully in place the motor continues noisily for three seconds shaking the step from side to side. I have started the engine and the same thing happens when it retracts. There is no noise or shaking when the step comes down. Just had a lovely 16 nights in Ireland with no problems at all (fortunately!). Have googled many forums but most state their steps have stopped working completely. I have removed the cover under the steps and checked the alarm switch is clean and dry. Can anyone shed any light please? Many thanks in advance. Julie

Hi and welcome to the forum..

Cannot comment exactly on your step, but speaking with an engineering background, it could either nead all the joints spraying with an oil release spray to make sure it retracts fully and equally or the step is not hitting the micro switch which I assume would turn off the motor.. Usually a good clean does help..

Hi, thanks for your reply. Everything is very clean underneath as that was my initial thought. I am a little confused though, what is the difference between a micro switch and the alarm switch? The alarm switch is fully working as tested with a multimeter, also, the steps still move in and out without it in place. I can't see anything in view that would resemble a micro switch that the steps would make contact with, have googled to see what one could look like :-)

Something is obviously telling the motor to stop, just 3 seconds too late! Could the motor stop when it receives a bit of resistance? Briefly spoke to my brother who suggested the gears in the motor? Don't want to spends £££s if there is a simple solution!

Hi, The micro switch spoken about is about 8mm in diameter and protrudes down so that when the step retracts it hits the switch. The switch could have a high electrical resistance and not making a clean break to stop the motor. It's really a button switch that pushes up by the step. Hope this helps.

Note to self, there must be an age limit to sliding under a motorhome after Sunday lunch! I have just been out to take some photos of what is under there, sadly I cannot for the life of me see anything resembling a micro switch that the step would touch, apart from the alarm switch. Will attempt to post photos I have just taken, the pink sheen is not rust, just the sun reflecting from a pink t shirt. I would like to think the alarm switch would also act as the micro switch but have already tested it and is working.

Thank you for your replies so far, fab site!

Julie

2026146056_DSC_1002(640x360)(2)(500x281)(450x253).jpg.b2ca8146281225cfa7a09fc776f8ef23.jpg

1130394652_DSC_1003(640x360)(480x270)(450x253).jpg.3b92629844bbea64c0432c550905660e.jpg

200004677_DSC_1004(640x360)(450x253).jpg.438b5e4229def9ac556f54664df49982.jpg

912644321_DSC_1005(640x360)(450x253).jpg.8c5e196a85e521246505e96f101b331c.jpg

872051992_DSC_1007(640x360)(450x253).jpg.1a798a17947ba49bcdb1dd2a12cea9e2.jpg

52santafe - 2015-09-20 7:26 PM

Note to self, there must be an age limit to sliding under a motorhome after Sunday lunch! I have just been out to take some photos of what is under there, sadly I cannot for the life of me see anything resembling a micro switch that the step would touch, apart from the alarm switch. Will attempt to post photos I have just taken, the pink sheen is not rust, just the sun reflecting from a pink t shirt. I would like to think the alarm switch would also act as the micro switch but have already tested it and is working.

Thank you for your replies so far, fab site!

Julie

Picture 3 I have pulled the step clear of the alarm switch but it normally sit comfortably connected.

Julie,

I think the 'Alarm switch' as you call it is in fact the microswitch to turn off the motor when the step is fully retracted.

If the alarm stops when the step is fully retracted but the motor continues running then it sounds like something has got out of sync between motor and step. I'm not quite sure where yo go from here other than trying to find someone who is familiar with these steps.

Is there any possibility it still under warranty as it is a 2012 ?

Keith.

What does the 'Alarm switch' actually do? For example does it sound a buzzer if you start the engine with the step out? And if so does it still work?

Hi Keith,

Yes, I am beginning to wonder if the switch serves as both alarm and the micro switch. The multi meter showed that the switch open and closed but I think for £14.95, it might be worth changing it first. I have a few weeks until half term when we are off on our travels again.

Sadly the 3 year warranty ran out on 28 August, there comes a time when you think money v risk it. Looking on other forums, there are members who are on their 3rd set of steps in as many years. I doubt very much if warranty would cover it now. Guess a call tomorrow wouldn't harm!

Thanks for reading and replying to my post.

Julie

Sorry Keith, missed the last bit of your post.

I presume the alarm buzzes in the cab if the step doesn't retract on starting the engine. On starting the engine, it automatically retracts the step so we have never had cause for it to go off. My eldest sons job is to check step retracted and fridge has blue light showing moved over to 12v!

I will have a look at the handbook tomorrow :-)

Julie

Archived