Truma 6E heater elements

andy mccord

I had exactly the same problem, I changed both elements and it was cured, both elements are the same and its a surprisingly straightforward job to do, took me less than 2 hours including taking the combi out of the van and onto the bench

You can get the elements from leisureshopdirect

Hi mark, My boiler is in a nightmare position so I've opted to let the dealership to it, I believe they are £100 for the pair 8-) van goes in this friday, but I'm undecided whether to have the lower output element changed or not which is why I asked whether they are both powered up when selecting full power

Regards

Andy

andy mccord - 2015-09-30 4:28 PM

Hi mark, My boiler is in a nightmare position so I've opted to let the dealership to it, I believe they are £100 for the pair 8-) van goes in this friday, but I'm undecided whether to have the lower output element changed or not which is why I asked whether they are both powered up when selecting full power

Regards

Andy

So is mine, buried in a cupboard, but turned out to be really easy to remove, I certainly wouldn't pay a half assed dealer to do it, both elements will cost more than £100, thick end of £400 from a dealer I think

Colin Leake - 2015-09-30 7:20 PM

It may well be possible to replace the elements without removing the boiler. Check with your dealer. If the price you've mentioned includes the replacement I'd go for both. My dealer las me element failure on these boilers is quite common.

Take it from me, you can't change the elements without removing the boiler

ken the kontiki - 2015-09-30 5:21 PM

I'd change both whilst the boiler is out. Sod's law says that when one has failed the other will follow. Why pay two lots of labour?

Absolutely change both they both the same, there isn't a high or low element

Well I can tell you that one morning the wife turned on the boiler on full power then realised 10 mins later that something had tripped the RCB, I reset it and switched the boiler back on, it took 1 hr to heat the water to 60c were as usually it takes 20 mins, So I concluded the hi power element had failed, it continues to heat water but much slower so I presume that it must have 2 elements??

Regards

Andy

andy mccord - 2015-10-01 1:04 PM

Well I can tell you that one morning the wife turned on the boiler on full power then realised 10 mins later that something had tripped the RCB, I reset it and switched the boiler back on, it took 1 hr to heat the water to 60c were as usually it takes 20 mins, So I concluded the hi power element had failed, it continues to heat water but much slower so I presume that it must have 2 elements??

Regards

Andy

Yes it has 2 elements, they are both the same though, there isn't a high power and low power element, just 2 the same see:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_37843/heating_element_for_truma_combi_4e__6e.aspx

My understanding is that the two elements normally act together not independently. Basically, when the 900W setting is chosen each element outputs 450W, and when the 1800W setting is chosen each element outputs 900W.

As markh1 advises it will not be possible to replace the elements while the Combi is in situ, and it would be wise to replace both elements when the heater has been disassembled.

markh1 - 2015-10-01 12:10 AM

Colin Leake - 2015-09-30 7:20 PM

It may well be possible to replace the elements without removing the boiler. Check with your dealer. If the price you've mentioned includes the replacement I'd go for both. My dealer las me element failure on these boilers is quite common.

Take it from me, you can't change the elements without removing the boiler

That must depend on the installation, my dealers workshop tells me it can often be done. Since element failure is not uncommon some converters make sure the installation makes it possible. For the record both elements are identical. On the low power setting only one is switched in one the high power setting both are switched on. If one has failed you will only get the 900 watts from the remaining element. Incidently don't try running the hot water and heating on the low setting. 900 watts simply can't cope.

Archived