VW converters

Taurian

Hi all, I'm ideally looking for an Auto- sleepers Trooper, Trident or Topaz, but low mileage ones seem to be pretty hard to find within a reasonable distance of Chelmsford, Essex. My alternative idea is to buy a low mileage Transporter in excellent condition and get it fully converted by a quality converter. So my question is - can anyone recommend a quality converter ? There seem to be quite a few in this marketplace but I would prefer to use one that has a proven track record , ideally with VW Transporters. I do not want to go down the self- build route as I don't have those sorts of skills. Any help/advise would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

If your heart is set on a VW so be it, but having had the opportunity to drive a fairly new VW Transporter and several Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxers recently I find that apart from the size difference and the slightly better ride of the VW, the Sevel vans are far better equipped and drive and handle as well as if not better than the VWs.

There are also Renault and Ford varieties to consider, both of which justifiably have their admirers and any of these will probably cost less to buy and run than a comparable VW.

Then again the VW may hold onto more of it's value as there are less of them seeking many buyers.

If you really want a VW you might well have to keep a daily eye on the adverts and be prepared to travel as far as it takes to snap up a good 'un.

Good luck!

Guest Peter James
Taurian - 2015-10-03 11:49 AM

My alternative idea is to buy a low mileage Transporter in excellent condition.

Well good luck with that. Transporters are pretty scarce to start with, and secondhand commercial vans are not noted for their low mileage and excellent condition *-)

Tracker - 2015-10-03 12:45 PM

If your heart is set on a VW so be it, but having had the opportunity to drive a fairly new VW Transporter and several Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxers recently I find that apart from the size difference and the slightly better ride of the VW, the Sevel vans are far better equipped and drive and handle as well as if not better than the VWs.

There are also Renault and Ford varieties to consider, both of which justifiably have their admirers and any of these will probably cost less to buy and run than a comparable VW.

Then again the VW may hold onto more of it's value as there are less of them seeking many buyers.

If you really want a VW you might well have to keep a daily eye on the adverts and be prepared to travel as far as it takes to snap up a good 'un.

Good luck!

Thanks Tracker, I have also started to consider the Transit Custom which is quite a bit cheaper and does look very nice with good reviews

Guest pelmetman
PCC - 2015-10-04 8:57 AM

Some converters will be able to source used low mileage VWs.

Peter

I'd wait a while to see what effect the software con has had on the vehicle values ;-) ................

19721973 - 2015-10-05 8:11 PM

Hi Tuarian, thinking of putting mine Topaz up for sale have not got round to it yet but at 81 I’m thinking of calling it a day, Pm me if interested with your email and I will send you details and photos

Hi, tried to PM you but the message just sits in my outbox for some reason!! Could you please email me at ianwhitemoss at iCloud dot com

Thanks

Regards

Ian

Archived