Spanish Roundabouts

ALAN G

Is there a satisfactory, and safe way to negotiate Spanish roundabouts? I have tried all manner of ways of going round them apart from going clockwise, of course. It could be that I'm driving too slowly for the locals who occasionally "toot" (so at least they have seen me and are unlikely to hit the 'van).

Keeping to the left of the island when turning to the left, or staying in the middle lane when going straight on doesn't seem to work. I've tried driving on the right all the way round the outside, which gets cars overtaking on the left into the next turn-off.

Apart from the Spanish drivers overtaking into the single lane I intend to use (and I got there first) Valencia gives me major concern. I've been through it three times, and survived. The roundabout by the incredible exhbiition centre has a mixture of traffic lights and multi-lane exits. There is only a three lane road onto the roundabout! And, at the traffic lights to the left are several lanes of cars all waiting to race torwards me when the lights change for them.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a good answer while I enjoy the sun.

Many thanks

I treat them the same as UK ones only opposite. If turning left, indicate left and use the left lane. If going straight on you can use either lane (unless otherwise marked) and turning right keep to the right. I think you maybe driving too slowly for the locals though. If everybody drives at a similar speed it becomes easier because the relative speed is lower or zero and gaps between vehicles don't close up.

I put the left indicator on as soon as I am on the roundabout and leave it on until I am ready to turn off right.

Even the idiots will keep clear, but overtaking on the left or right on a roundabout is normal practice in Spain, so the indicators lets them know what you are about to do and they can judge if they can just squeeze past before you turn off. I always check the inside lane before turning off anyway, just in case!

Just back from France and I have noticed that they are learning to use indicators over there on roundabouts, not bad for a country that used to have very few roundabouts!

If you really want to confuse continental drivers try using hand signals (lol)

H

Charles - 2015-10-06 11:35 AM

I treat them the same as UK ones only opposite. If turning left, indicate left and use the left lane. If going straight on you can use either lane (unless otherwise marked) and turning right keep to the right. I think you maybe driving too slowly for the locals though. If everybody drives at a similar speed it becomes easier because the relative speed is lower or zero and gaps between vehicles don't close up.

Totally agree-works for me ok

Mike

Mike B. - 2015-10-06 9:35 PM

neilmac - 2015-10-06 4:47 PM

Here you go, the official instructions

http://n332.es/2015/05/17/exiting-roundabouts/

Bloomin dangerous most of the time *-)

Yep-that's what I thought too-just the same as UK really except 'reversed' for right hand /left hand

No, not the same as the UK. The diagram is pretty small to make out the wording but only the green and blue are (bien) good. Red, pink, brown and yellow are (mal) bad in Spain.

Many thanks for all your comments. They are re-assuring that I'm behaving fairly correctly.

Noticed a Spanish driving instructor this afternoon (with her pupil driving along a busy road) with her mobile stuck firmly on her ear......but at least she wasn't smoking.

Blimey! I read the lot and I'm still confused, especially about the answer to the question as to why have more than one lane on roundabouts - which has been going round and round in my head up to that point. The reason for the additional lanes on roads other than roundabouts, even in Spain, is, it seems, to allow faster moving traffic to overtake slower moving. Next question? Is this a good maxim to apply on roundabouts? Hmmmmmmmm! Fun, innit? :-D

I think that lot was written by a non-driving philosopher sees roundabouts as an existential concept! Explaining the Higgs Boson is, by comparison, simplicity personified.

But to confuse things even further I am sure I read that at least in Portugal they recently changed the legislation.

If I remember you could not go round in the outside lane but where supposed to move to the inner lane and only go to the outer lane after the junction before yours.

All theoretical and almost impossible to follow BUT it did mean that all those who cut in front of me to take the next exit were technically correct cos I should not have been in that outside lane if I was not also turning off.

At least if you know what you are supposed to be doing you can make allowances for others.

ANyone else read this.

After a couple of iterations, France has now adopted what I will call the "British" approach to roundabout use and signalling when negotiating roundabouts. Fine, but that still leaves those who passed their tests before France adopted roundabouts so widely, plus those who were taught either of the two previous signalling and lane use conventions, all happily doing their own thing in the certain knowledge that they are right! Great fun! It is generally better in northern France, but the smaller the place, and the more recently the roundabouts have been installed, the more fun it gets as you go south!

Spain is pretty well as described above, Portugal worse, Italy quite good in that most people seem to be using the same rule-book but, being Italy, the rule book is widely disregarded when expedient, Greece is chaotic, and Germany, as ever, disciplined - with the exception of the larger Mercs, BMWs and Audis, whose owners are invariably on emergency missions whatever the road. So, never wrong: just different. :-D

neilmac - 2015-10-06 10:43 PM

Mike B. - 2015-10-06 9:35 PM

Yep-that's what I thought too-just the same as UK really except 'reversed' for right hand /left hand

No, not the same as the UK. The diagram is pretty small to make out the wording but only the green and blue are (bien) good. Red, pink, brown and yellow are (mal) bad in Spain.

Yes and they would be 'mal' in the UK unless A (blue) was there as you should be in the inside lane on all roads unless overtaking or in 2 lines of traffic. You enter in your lane stay, in it if going 1st right or 2nd right, move over to left if you are coming off on 3rd (moving back into right lane after passing exit 2) and that's same as UK except on opposite side of road. Except of course if you are a woman driver then D (beige) is the norm. Although on saying that, when I took my IAM test on a motorcycle D was encouraged!!!

What I will say is the Spanish are still getting to grip with roundabouts so give them and yourselves a lot of manoeuvre space .They invariably on approach on a dual carrigeway and wanting to turn left ,pull into the righthand lane and then proceed to go all the way to there exit in that lane cutting across each exit as they pass it. These two videos show what they do, not saying whether its right or wrong just be aware,had many first hand experiences of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTr-OHi4SI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0fMHTl43BM

and just for amusement ....

Brian K

Archived