Driving a 3500kg vehicle over 70 years of age

canalhopper

I have read this on a website:

"When that driver achieves the age of 70, they can retain the right to drive a vehicle of up to 3,500 kg MTPLM on the same basis as for a car i.e. three year renewal (see also note below).

If the driver wishes to continue to drive a vehicle over 3500kg at 70+, they must pass an eye test and submit the medical form D4, completed by their doctor, with their renewal application." **

**MTPLM/MAM (Maximum Technically Permissable Laden Mass/ maximum authorised mass)

I am over seventy. Does this mean I can't drive a vehicle which weighs 3500kg or does it mean 3501kg?This might seem picky, but quite a few motorhomes have their weight given as 3500 kg.

It's the plate under the bonnet, if it says 3500K then you can drive it, if any more then you need to fill in an extra form and take a medical. Quite superficial as recent accidents have highlighted. This lasts for three years.

You get a notification a couple of months before your 70th birthday. If you missed it you can still apply.

It's nothing to do with the actual weight of the vehicle.

I think you will find that once you get to your 70th birthday you will be limited to 3500kg GVW unless you have a medical which once passed will allow you to drive motor vehicles of up to 7500kg GVW. Being an ex HGV class 1 driver over 65 I have to have a medical every year which for the last 2 years includes a far more involved eye test. Up to now I've taken 7 extra medicals which aren't cheap because I have to pay separately for the eye test at the opticians before I present myself at the doctors. One day I'll say enough is enough and call it a day and just carry on with the 7500kg limit just for the motorhome.

rolandrat - 2015-10-07 3:17 PM

I think you will find that once you get to your 70th birthday you will be limited to 3500kg GVW unless you have a medical which once passed will allow you to drive motor vehicles of up to 7500kg GVW. Being an ex HGV class 1 driver over 65 I have to have a medical every year which for the last 2 years includes a far more involved eye test. Up to now I've taken 7 extra medicals which aren't cheap because I have to pay separately for the eye test at the opticians before I present myself at the doctors. One day I'll say enough is enough and call it a day and just carry on with the 7500kg limit just for the motorhome.

Yet none of that was enough to stop Harry Clarke, driver of the Glasgow bin lorry, killing six people. Not only was he able to hoodwink his employers, but also the DVLA who unfortunately still rely on a persons honesty when applying for a driving licence.

Had his GP been able to inform the DVLA, those six people would be alive today.

Bulletguy - 2015-10-07 5:13 PM

Yet none of that was enough to stop Harry Clarke, driver of the Glasgow bin lorry, killing six people. Not only was he able to hoodwink his employers, but also the DVLA who unfortunately still rely on a persons honesty when applying for a driving licence.

And he's been driving again.. Currently under arrest for driving while suspended in September. I'm not sure that any regulations or laws will stop such a person.

If you look at the square metal plate, sometimes under the bonnet, sometimes somewhere on the coach built body, which gives the VIN number and 4 numbers for weight. On a 3500 van these will show the MTLP as 3500, the gross train weight as 4250, this is the van with a 750 kilo trailer, and then 2 other figures that show the weight applicable to the front and rear axles, these 2 will generally add up to more than 3500, but that doesn't mean that you can exceed that 3500 gross limit.

To sum up, you can drive your 3500kg van provided the total weight of it including passengers, fuel, bags of sweeties, everything does not exceed 3500kg. You can tow a trailer weighing no more than 750kg behind it, and you must ensure that neither the front or rear axles of the van exceeds their individual permitted weight when fully loaded as described above, and that includes the nose weight of the trailer.

AGD

canalhopper - 2015-10-06 11:05 PM

I am over seventy. Does this mean I can't drive a vehicle which weighs 3500kg or does it mean 3501kg?This might seem picky, but quite a few motorhomes have their weight given as 3500 kg.

I, too, have this over 70 conundrum

My reading of the regulations, refer to its maximum weight. So any 3500 kg m/home, if its payload takes it to over 3500kg, would be illegal. By then, you will have broken weight limit regulations.

As long as the payload is kept, and the vehicle weighs less than 3500, it is legal to drive with a BE licence.

Where it gets very confused, and there seems to be conflicting advice, information, and possibibly regulation is what you can tow with a 3500kg m/home.

Assuming you passed your test in the sixties, (before 1976 ??) and hold a car & trailer requirement , there are three variants of what you are allowed to tow and differing advice given various DVLA web pages.

1) Your m/home weights 3500 kg. This the maximum allowable weight for the licence, so you cannot tow anything.

OR 2) You can can tow a 750 kg trailer provided the weight of the trailer, trailer load and m/home does not exceed 3500kg

Or 3) You can tow with a 3.500kg m/home provided you do not exceed the maximum train weight. In my case I have a 3500kg m/home plated t allow towing 0f 2000 kg triler including load.IE max train weight of 5500kg.

It seems that plethora regulation applies to cars and light vehicles, and there is no real definition of m/homes of 3.5 ton.

Rgds

Steve928 - 2015-10-07 5:37 PM

And he's been driving again.. Currently under arrest for driving while suspended in September. I'm not sure that any regulations or laws will stop such a person.

I know.

People like Clarke have no shame, no conscience and no moral compass.

rolandrat - 2015-10-07 3:17 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What has the Glasgow Bin Lorry got to do with the guys query about his licence. Absolutely nothing. I'm sure that any GP will only put the correct findings of a strict HGV medical to his name. I for one would never expect my GP to put anything down other than what he has examined me for. At least I know that I have been classed as medically fit to drive no matter the type and size of vehicle.

canalhopper - 2015-10-08 12:01 PM

Many thanks for all the answers.

My interpretation from the answers is that the van plus its contents must not weigh more than 3500kg.

Hopefully we can find a van which will fall into this category.

Not quite! :-) The actual weight of the van is not relevant to driving licence categories: only to ensuring it is not overloaded.

For driving licence purposes the only figure that is relevant is the Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) of the vehicle as stated on its VIN plate (Usually to be found under the bonnet, but sometimes on a revising plate is attached by the motorhome converter, that may give a slightly higher figure that the original base vehicle manufacturer's plate), and in its V5C registration document If the plated MAM is 3,500kg or less, you will be OK. If the Plated MAM exceeds 3,500kg you will not.

It is possible to get the plated MAM of a vehicle reduced to 3,500kg, but since its self-weight will remain the same, the reduction will directly affect the remaining payload. That is to say, for every 1kg by which the MAM is reduced, the payload will also reduce by 1kg.

Since many, if not most, motorhomers find their payload allowances are on the tight side, it is probable that reducing the MAM of a van plated at, say 3,850kg, to 3,500kg (i.e. reduced by 350kg), would be liable to leave the van with insufficient payload.

Once plated at 3,500kg you cannot legally load the van beyond that weight no matter what its original MAM may have been. So, once down-plated to 3,500kg, were it to be spot checked and found to exceed that weight it would be treated as overloaded, and the resulting penalty would be applied.

I took our MH to a Weighbridge and paid for a certificate showing the weight as 2860. kgs. The confusing part is what is on the V5. It says 3500 kgs but I know that I can put items up to 720 kgs that includes two people (driver and passenger)s plus water, gas, chairs, bedding etc. Thank goodness I had the awning and solar panel fitted before I got it weighed.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-08 9:02 PM

I took our MH to a Weighbridge and paid for a certificate showing the weight as 2860. kgs. The confusing part is what is on the V5. It says 3500 kgs but I know that I can put items up to 720 kgs that includes two people (driver and passenger)s plus water, gas, chairs, bedding etc. Thank goodness I had the awning and solar panel fitted before I got it weighed.

Sorry Len I don't know where you got the 720 kg from but NO YOU CANNOT!

Under no circumstances can you exceed 3,500 kg!

So you can only add another 640 kg to your weighbridge condition, not 720 kg.

Keith.

pepe63 - 2015-10-09 8:32 AM

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-08 9:44 PM

You are correct my Maths didn't add up as I could hardly see the figures.

Hardly reassuring, on a thread about "older" drivers driving larger/heavier vehicles..... (lol)

Hats off to the guy......he's 82 years old. Respect!!

FWIW i couldn't sort those figures out without a calculator as i'm thick at even basic math.

Bulletguy - 2015-10-09 2:52 PM

pepe63 - 2015-10-09 8:32 AM

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-08 9:44 PM

You are correct my Maths didn't add up as I could hardly see the figures.

Hardly reassuring, on a thread about "older" drivers driving larger/heavier vehicles..... (lol)

Hats off to the guy......he's 82 years old. Respect!!

FWIW i couldn't sort those figures out without a calculator as i'm thick at even basic math.

Come on Paul, pepe's does have a smiley attached. Anyway who want's to drive a 70 year old camper? :D

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-10-09 9:47 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-10-09 9:07 PM

nowtelse2do - 2015-10-09 6:23 PM...................... Anyway who wants to drive a 70 year old camper? :D

Dave

Dave Pelmet. :-D

:D :D ...........What am I laughing at?......mine's not far behind. 8-)

Dave

Shhh Dave. He hasn't seen this yet, but he'll start making you offers if he finds out! :-D

Archived