towing motorcycle trikes

angelaibbo

Anyone know if it's possible and legal to tow a motorcycle trike with a motorhome? We are told that with the front wheel in a purpose made bracket on the tow bar and the rear wheels on the ground this is the easiest way to tow one. It will also have brake and light board so that lights work off the van. Don't want to put it on a trailer.

Thanks Charles

Can't see a problem either but wasn't sure if it is legal especially as we go abroad and I know that there is all sorts of problems towing cars. Thanks too for the recommendation for the bracket but the guy who is building out trike is sorting that for us.

And don't forget the law states that if the trailer has brakes fitted then they MUST function at all times.

So, as your trike will obviously have brakes, you will have to ensure that there is some means, be it electrical or mechanical, to apply those brakes in conjunction with the MH brakes.

Why do you think A frame towing is so complicated, what with over run brakes and 'brake buddies' etc, etc.

Keith.

Are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-TRAILER-TRIKE-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-QUICK-RELEASE-TOWING-FRAME-/301752997483?hash=item4641e1566b

"THIS DEVISE IS CLASSIFIED AS A RECOVERY DEVICE" from the sellers page.

My mate has one but decided not to use it with his Dragstar (solo). He might want to sell it.

Anyway my main concern is that most modern bikes rely on pump feed lubrication to the gearbox when the engine is running, the gearbox is not separate and using its own oil supply. Now if the bike is chain driven the chain could removed while towing but if it is shaft driven then while the rear wheel is rotating some of the gearbox internals will be rotating and if pump fed not getting all the oil they need.

This is only my opinion, but you might want to investigate this point further depending on what trike you have and how far you want to tow it suspended.

B-)

Lance et al,

Note the small print as the last line of the eBay advert "THIS DEVISE IS CLASSIFIED AS A RECOVERY DEVICE"

My understanding of such a RECOVERY DEVICE is that it is limited to something like 20 mph and as it's name implies is to be used for recovery ONLY.

I'm not sure how you would stand for long term use, perhaps worth discussing with your insurance company before buying.

Keith.

The daft part about trailer legislation is that below 750 kg the trailer can be unbraked but if it has brakes they must work.

It will be a hefty trike that weighs more than that, I have seen a setup where lightweight 4 wheeled vehicle was towed using a conventional hitch fitted to a long bar that was connected well back on the chassis.

If a shoe was fitted to the bar to locate the front it would apart from almost certainly illegal a very neat and practical solution and probably impossible to insure.

Something about donkeys and the law springs to mind.

As ever to be completely legal use a trailer that will push up GTW.

On the continent trailer have to registered in their own right but its not necessary to keep records of which vehicle is towing it so If swiped by a vehicle and you get the trailer number the driver is untraceable.

angelaibbo - 2015-10-12 2:26 PM

Anyone know if it's possible and legal to tow a motorcycle trike with a motorhome? We are told that with the front wheel in a purpose made bracket on the tow bar and the rear wheels on the ground this is the easiest way to tow one. It will also have brake and light board so that lights work off the van. Don't want to put it on a trailer.

You have a PM.

B-)

The back and sidecar wheels are in a different position compared to a Trike. Try and go over sleeping policemen on the road.

I took part in trials at the Road Research Laboratory at Crowthorne Berks in the late 90s with a BMW outfit. The Director of the trials came as a passenger in the sidecar and he thought that it was the most uncomfortable ride he had experienced during the trials because of the different position of the wheels.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-16 10:09 AMThe back and sidecar wheels are in a different position compared to a Trike. Try and go over sleeping policemen on the road.I took part in trials at the Road Research Laboratory at Crowthorne Berks in the late 90s with a BMW outfit. The Director of the trials came as a passenger in the sidecar and he thought that it was the most uncomfortable ride he had experienced during the trials because of the different position of the wheels.

No sh1t Sherlock.....WOW I never knew a trike and sidecar outfit were different ( comment heavily laced with sarcasm) .....the point of my asking  'and your point is'? is that the OP was asking about towing a trike and you comment on the unsuitability of towing 'your' outfit which is an irrelevance with regard to the OP. 

I've seen someone around here towing a trike which I suspect he/she shows from the look of it with the rear wheels apparently fixed to a small obviously purpose made trailer and the front wheel fixed to a bracket on the back of his/her car. Rather suspect it is one made by the trikes owner but if I can I will try and find out more.

Archived