130 or 150 bhp?

candapack

Yes.

And Yes again.

The 130hp is more than up to the job but a little extra power will come in handy from time to time and reduce the overall stress on you and the vehicle but you should bear in mind that if you regularly make the most of the extra power; your fuel economy will suffer. There is no such thing as a free ride.

We have found that the 2.3 with 130hp is up to most jobs but for our bigger long-haul vehicles we use the 3.0 engine. The cost difference is huge (even at the discounts that we get) but we seem to get the extra power without seriously affecting the fuel economy. This is quite often the case that a larger engine provides more power with less effort. The Americans used to say "There is no substitute for cubic inches" I am inclined to agree.

I have driven both whilst doing some driving for a dealer that I know and am not convinced.

Personally I feel that the 130 is perfectly acceptable given the unstressed use with light acceleration that a motorhome generally gets and bearing in mind that it will not be worth any more when you sell it I do wonder if it really is worthwhile?

I feel that the extra bhp would be less relevant to a motorhome than the extra torque which should make hill climbing and overtaking more relexed although one would only notice the difference when driving one after the other.

But it is a personal view and no doubt a commercial driver would appreciate the extra oomph especially when fully laden and with someone else buying the fuel!

I also drove a new 150 automatic and whilst it is fine for gentle driving I found the gearchanges to be slow witted and not that smooth when booting it to crack on and overtake or progress swiftly in traffic so if considering an auto do make sure that, as with any new vehicle, you drive one first before ordering.

It really depends on your driving style. I pondered long and hard on this subject and opted for 130bhp. I was surprised how well the engine pulled. It can comfortably cruise at legal speeds and beyond so why pay for something I would not need or use. With a coach built with overcab bed the fuel consumption can be disappointing but is greatly improved with a softer driving style. If the 3 litre option does not suffer from increased fuel use that would seem to be the choice for the power freaks.

I have the 150bhp engine in my Autotrail, AND I tow a fair sized car behind it on an A-Frame, it pulls the heavy van(4250kg) and car effortlessly, so I wouldn't be without it, Doubt that the 130bhp would be as good. For me, i'm glad I have it, but doubt that it will make the van any more valuable at trading in time.

My last MH had a 130 and the present MH has a 150.

There seems to be a bit better performance up hill and slightly more power overtaking but if you're going to spend £900 I think it could be better spent on more useful items.

For £900 you could fit a decent re-fillable gas system, extra batteries and a large solar panel, which will save money in the long run, and still have change out of your money for a pint or two.

Probably it's better having a long term benefit than getting to your destination a minute or two quicker.

I wouldn't describe myself as a power freak just because I prefer a 3 ltr, it's all about personal choice and the fact that the engine produces effortless low down torque. It also has a timing chain where as the 130-150 has a timing belt. As regards the automatic versions I prefer them as well, I'm on my second Comfortmatic and I think they are the Bee's Knee's. You will always get the doubters, usually they have never owned one and just go off negative hearsay. As regards acceleration through the gears both of mine have always been very smooth and responsive. Before I decided to buy a Comfortmatic I sought advice off Duncan the service manager at Walton Summit Trucks who are main agents and are responsible for servicing all the areas fleet of Fiat 3ltr Comfortmatic Ambulances that are on the road 24-7 and was very impressed with his advice. The clutches do a minimum of 100,000 miles and many more with some plus 250,000 miles with the engines. I am very pleased with mine and wouldn't hesitate in buying another as and when. I have owned a 130 and have no plans whatsoever to have one again. The fuel consumption is only marginal and not worth thinking about.

130 MultiJet II Euro 5+

Displacement: 2287 cm3

Power: 130 HP

Max Torque: 320 Nm at 1800 rpm

150 MultiJet II Euro 5+

Displacement: 2287 cm3

Power: 148 HP

Max Torque: 350 Nm at 1500 rpm

180 MultiJet Euro 5+

Displacement: 2999 cm3

Power: 177 HP

Max Torque: 400 Nm at 1400 rpm

Work it out for yourself using:

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product#profilatore

I have the 130 on a 3500kg motorhome that usually runs at 3,400kg. It's sufficient. Get's a bit wheezy in the Pennine hills but generally runs well enough and I'm in no hurry. If I was running heavier, I'd definitely get the 150 either as a remapped [or whatever] 130 or the 150 direct from Fiat. Better to have the extra oomph and not use it than not have it and want it.

You won't be disappointed, all the new vans are ok. We see the older vans struggling through the Pyrenees every year (you know the ones, when they were called Talbots) in 3rd gear or something. Our van goes up the mountains in 6th usually, unless it's very steep and long.

candapack - 2015-10-14 7:50 PM

Thanks all. Think I'll stick with the 130, then change my mind when it's too late. *-)

As usual.

I thought possibly with the way you phrased your question you had already made up your mind. What interests me is why you should ask for folks opinion then ignore the general advice to go for the "bigger" unit??? What is the point???

starvin marvin - 2015-10-15 5:19 AM

Thanks all. Think I'll stick with the 130, then change my mind when it's too late. *-)

As usual.

I thought possibly with the way you phrased your question you had already made up your mind. What interests me is why you should ask for folks opinion then ignore the general advice to go for the "bigger" unit??? What is the point???

We seem to read things differently. I don't think the phrasing of my question suggests I've already decided, and to me the advice given is a fairly even mix of yes and no.

starvin marvin - 2015-10-15 5:19 AM

As usual.

I have been following this thread with interest because I am in a similar position to Chris (candapack) the OP. I am ordering a new van and was wondering whether to pay for an upgraded engine from the 130hp standard to 150hp. The converter of the 3,500kg PVC I'm considering will charge £1,117 for the extra hp.

Having read the helpful and apparently balanced observations in this thread, I had also come to the conclusion that the standard 130hp engine would be entirely satisfactory for us. It is the same engine as the one we've had for the last five years in our current van (apart from changing from Euro 4 to Euro 5), and I haven't read anything here (or on the Fiat Camper website) that suggests it would be unsuitable for our needs.

Hi

We are currently touring the UK full-time and have found that the 130BHP Fiat more than adequate to deal with the terrains that we have encountered so far. My only concern was the low MPG that I was getting. We have recently had our engine re-mapped (£300) and have found both an increase in torque (which wasn't an issue) and a much improved MPG.

This seems the best of both worlds.

Dave

Dave, who did the remap and what was the improvement in mpg? Please! I get between 28 - 29mpg from the 130 in virtually all the measurements I take although occasionally I can get cross country running figures of 32mpg; 27 mpg on motorways at 60mph.

Billggski - 2015-10-15 10:48 AM

Locally a remap is £200 plus VAT, I assume the £900 it's the difference on a new vehicle, the best remaps includes a before and after rolling road print out?

does the Fiat 150 engine not have variable vane turbo technology?.....ie the turbo is different as well as any 'mapping' changes?

any purely 'mapped' changes are electronics only, rather than a physical change, too.....?

Archived