laptop charging

wardy

Guest Peter James

Bear in mind you might only be getting a quarter of the power out of an old laptop battery that you put in it. So I remove my laptop battery when I am running it off the van battery, saving power.

PS you may have to get a 12volt DV to 240 volt AC adapter and run your laptop of its mains adapter. Many laptops require 2 different supply voltages - the co ax plug actually has 3 contacts for this purpose, so won't just run off one 12 volt supply like many other things do. Most of the power supply components are in the mains adapter to make the laptop as thin and light as possible. The inefficiency of converting the power up to mains voltage and back down to low voltage makes it even more useful to save van battery power by removing your laptop battery - especially if its an old laptop like mine with high power consumption and worn old laptop battery.

I use the Maplin adapter and use a Netbook as it uses less power and has a longer battery life. We are never on hookup* and with a 100 watt Solar Panel, we never run short of power.

* As I type this message, we are actually on a site and have a hookup. We decided that after owning this van for 18 months, it was time to see if anything actually worked on 240 volts. :D

And it does. ;-)

Some Dell laptops will only work with their own power supply which needs mains. This is because they have additional circuitry where the laptop communicates with the charger, I THINK my old Dell worked on a 12v charger i.e. one that stepped the current up insofar as it could function but the battery did not take a charge. To put that another way you could use the laptop on the charger without the battery charge going down but it didn't go up either.

HymerVan - 2015-10-30 7:01 AM

Some Dell laptops will only work with their own power supply which needs mains. This is because they have additional circuitry where the laptop communicates with the charger, I THINK my old Dell worked on a 12v charger i.e. one that stepped the current up insofar as it could function but the battery did not take a charge. To put that another way you could use the laptop on the charger without the battery charge going down but it didn't go up either.

No Problem with the latest Dell`s (we have 2) Both run and charge from the 12Volt adapter. we used it exclusively in America in the R-V, over the last 5 Years.

Ours are NOT the dell one, It` was off the net and supplies either of the laptops, just make sure the output (AMPS or WATTS) is the same or higher that that on the mains charger. and the output Voltage is correct!.

Pete

Pete

If going down the 12 volt charger route, which is more efficient than using an inverter, make sure that you get the correct tip for your laptop!

Some of the 12 volt charger kits do not contain the full range of adaptor tips. Further there are two main methods for voltage selection, either a multi position switch, or special voltage selecting plug tips. A third method as used on the Kerio Energy Knight is to use voltage selecting links, which look like, but are NOT mini auto blade fuses.

The switch or link method is better IMHO as you are not tied to one make of plug tips. If you cannot match the connector on your laptop, an alternative is to use a 2.1mm tip in conjunction with an adapter. Suitable adapters are available on Ebay.

I have used a Kerio Energy Knight 1, for over 10 years, and now,also use a second one to power a Canon iP100 printer.

Who thinks it's a bit sad - and I'm not having a pop because I'm as guilty as anyone else- that in the space of about 20 years so many of us have gone from not knowing what the internet was to feeling unable to be without it?

Think next time I go away for a few days I'll not take a laptop, tablet or smartphone, see how long I can last. *-) *-)

candapack - 2015-11-01 8:31 AM

Think next time I go away for a few days I'll not take a laptop, tablet or smartphone, see how long I can last. *-) *-)

That would be about 10 min for us, always have a netbook , 2 tablets and a couple of smartphones with us.

Think of the consequence of leaving them behind - we might have to talk to each other. (lol)

Guest Peter James
Alanb - 2015-10-31 11:27 PM

Some of the 12 volt charger kits do not contain the full range of adaptor tips.

I found that too. At first glance I saw a kit with a dozen plugs and assumed there would be one for my laptop. WRONG :$ There must be hundreds of different plugs - manufacturers seem to purposely make theirs a bit different so you have to use their power unit with their laptop. Sizes may only differ by a tiny amount so you could mistakenly think you have the right plug, force it into the laptop damaging the socket, making the laptop unusable and beyond economic repair.

wardy - 2015-10-29 10:24 AM

Hi all can anyone tell me if you can charge a laptop on the 12v cigarette lighter socket in my MH when on a site with no hook up,Thanks.

...from the original question, it would appear that you want to recharge whilst stationary, and possibly from the dashboard 12V socket (as you use the term "cigarette lighter socket".

12V laptop chargers are widely available, though , as discussed,care is needed to obtain the correct one. I have one for my laptop.

However be aware that many base-vehicles' dashboard cigarette lighter output is only live whilst the ignition is on. 12V charging on site in this case should be carried out via a habitation 12V output, not the cigarette lighter, and, depending on the 12V outputs you have fitted, you may also require converter (from this to a cigarette lighter socket) to allow a 12V laptop charger to plug in (again, these are quite easily obtained).

You do have to be careful about using a charger that wasn't supplied with your laptop. Dell and HP use chargers that report back to the laptop to say they are HP or Dell chargers and the laptop won't charge if it doesn't see this signal.

You can damage your laptop's charging circuits by using the "wrong" charger which can be virtually impossible to repair.

With regard to using a laptop without a battery in it.

That's a bad idea because if you unplug the power your laptop dies instantly.

Most of the time you will get away with it but sometimes if your laptop is writing some crucial information to the disk it can become corrupted, this often happens to Windows registry files on an "un-commanded shut-down"

That can really damage your installation of Windows and is difficult to fix, so forcing a re-installation of Windows. You can also "loose" your data if you are really unlucky if you file allocation table becomes corrupted.

So I would say check very carefully and be very confident that the charger you want to use is totally compatible with your laptop. In the shops they will sell you a multifunction charger and say they will work...They are rarely right.

I have been fixing laptops for 17 years and I have seen a fair few that have been badly damaged by using multifunction chargers or even just a laptop charger from another model of laptop. You might get away with it but honestly its risky.

I would say get a small cheap inverter and use the charger supplied. That's going to be more useful in the long run because you can charge up all kinds of other things to as you would at home.

My laptop uses about 3.5 to 4 Amps constantly when using my inverter. The inverter draws 1.2 Amps OFFLOAD. They are very inefficient but quite handy.

Hi

Whilst Two-Six`s Reply is sensible. a Laptop is an expensive item to risk?.

My experience is based empirically, in the use of 4 laptop`s from 2004 forward. I have run all on 12 Volt adapters (2 Dell. 1 Medion. 1 Toshiba). All Still function, the Toshiba and Medion are on the second battery, not surprising in view of age and a Hard life!.

A Poster asked specifically about Dell. and My experience using them on a very regular basis in an R-V Throughout the USA since 2010. has been satisfactory. I am currently still using the same adapter In the Current `van. and have had no adverse experience.

Dell do (did) market their own adapters, at a mark up of about 60%, The only one I have handled (at Best buy) appeared to be not better made that that which I have? with an almost identical specification.

IF you use an Inverter, It should be a FULL SINE WAVE device. Square or Clipped wave devices can cause issues. with delicate components, this can equally apply to T-V`s and other electronic devices OR even devices with electronic timers etc; (microwaves for example)

Pete

Guest Peter James
Two-Six - 2015-11-01 2:34 PM

With regard to using a laptop without a battery in it.

That's a bad idea because if you unplug the power your laptop dies instantly.

Most of the time you will get away with it but sometimes if your laptop is writing some crucial information to the disk it can become corrupted, this often happens to Windows registry files on an "un-commanded shut-down"

That can really damage your installation of Windows and is difficult to fix, so forcing a re-installation of Windows. You can also "loose" your data if you are really unlucky if you file allocation table becomes corrupted.

I am not disputing what you say, but I have 2 laptops I use in this way, Windows XP and Windows 7, often just disconnect the power by switching the inverter off without shutting them down. (because if I wait for them to shut down I usually forget to turn the inverter off which wastes the van battery) I have had a bit of bother with the Windows 7 one, but the 12 year old Windows XP laptop is still as good as gold.

After all, using a laptop without its battery fitted is only like a home PC plugged into the mains - that has no battery back up either (apart from the clock)

Yes sure using a laptop without a battery is a bit like a pc that has no battery backup but its way easier to unplug a laptop by accident.

Like I say most of the time you will get away with it but sometimes you won't. Its a pain if you do trash your data, better not to risk it, shut down properly.

I don't understand what difference it would make to the batter charge/power usage anyway really. Battery in or out, unless you are talking about the charging of the battery using extra power when you just want the laptop to be powered. There probably isn't much in it.

Guest Peter James
Two-Six - 2015-11-02 1:08 AM

Yes sure using a laptop without a battery is a bit like a pc that has no battery backup but its way easier to unplug a laptop by accident.

Like I say most of the time you will get away with it but sometimes you won't. Its a pain if you do trash your data, better not to risk it, shut down properly.

I don't understand what difference it would make to the batter charge/power usage anyway really. Battery in or out, unless you are talking about the charging of the battery using extra power when you just want the laptop to be powered. There probably isn't much in it.

You always get less power out of a battery than you put in it. How much you lose depends on the type and state of the battery. If the laptop battery is worn out like mine you lose 100% of the power you put into it. As well as powering the laptop, the van battery may have to power a charging current to the laptop battery which will be totally wasted So by removing the laptop battery all your power is going straight to the laptop, you are not wasting any going through the laptop battery.

I understand your point about possibly losing data if you suddenly lose power. But there are lots of other ways you can lose data, so you always need to back your data up anyway.

wardy - 2015-11-02 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for all the advice and comments i think i may look at the inverter way, can anyone tell me a model to get and about how much to expect to pay,my laptop is a Acer,Thanks again all.

I would not recommend any specific device. But if you are using to run a Laptop (or any "electronic" device) go for a FULL SINE WAVE model. lots more expensive, I am aware but, Square or Clipped wave models can damage small electronic components, especially in the charging units.

I would suggest a trawl of the Road Pro site. Again not the cheapest but full of information and idea`s.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_level_2.aspx?prod=Inverters

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wardy - there are plenty of small inverters that would do the trick.

Ring have a range of travel inverters that plug into your 12V DC and knock out 120Watts which is more than enough for a laptop.

If you look on the back your laptop it will say what the current is, times this by 12 to give you the wattage.

Ring part no. RINV120 or even their RINV75 would suffice. Price range £24 to £28.

Especially with various Xmas deals would it not be better to just pick up a cheap tablet such as a Hudl or Kindl or similar? You'll get email etc, no charging issues, lighter, smaller, easier to hide away, or take with you as a giant camera - always makes me laugh.

Seriously though there are some very valid points raised about chargers and adapters above. I have had fried laptops handed to me with a "can I have it fixed today?" where people have used odd chargers that sort of fitted. Not so much these days as they do have intelligence - the laptops and chargers that is..... *-)

• 1 year later...
wardy - 2015-11-02 10:09 AM

i think i may look at the inverter way, can anyone tell me a model to get and about how much to expect to pay,

Not all inverters will work with a laptop. Some need to be disconnected when not in use as they still drain power when switched off.

This is the best I have found for my HP Laptop - costs £4.78 and works a treat :-D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291657421866

I've powered a laptop from the 12v socket for years. I did read somewhere to run the engine before plugging in, then turn it off. Never had a problem which-ever way.

Regarding Lenny's bag full of gadgets. WHY. I go to experience life and not what I've left behind. It'll still be there when I'm back, and if not, so what.

Last week I bought a posh Vodafone Smart Phone. I returned it 8 days later being not fit for purpose. My 'purpose' is enjoying what's around me NOW !

A £16.00 Tesco Nokia 130 phone for emergencies was my preferred choice and is all I need.

Will

Will86 - 2017-02-24 10:55 AM

A £16.00 Tesco Nokia 130 phone for emergencies was my preferred choice and is all I need.

Will

You've been robbed. ;-) I put my Orange phone in the washing machine and they wanted silly money for a new one without a contract. But I got an unlocked phone from Curry's for £15 including £10 of credit with another network - which I used then put my old orange SIM card in :-D

Archived