Road noise

Malo37

Peter James - 2015-10-31 9:17 AM

Wheel bearing noise can be very difficult to pinpoint - even without the noise of the engine still running. I have a way of finding it but by the tone of the last few posts would probably start world war 3 by posting it on here

I suspect that you would still manage to argue with yourself if there were nobody else on here to disagree with. (lol)

Steve928 - 2015-10-31 10:45 AM

The OP hasn't even asked about identifying the noise - he just wants to know about low noise tyres.

I expect he's given up and gone back to sailing by now anyway..

That does not mean that he is not interested in the source of the noise - or that he has not already ruled out mechanical issues - just that he didn't mention these?

afternoon folks,

As many people know the road noise in france from the tyres is much less because of the type of tarmac used. I did hear once that Avon tyres were quieter than many others but I have no idea myself and it would be an expensive exercise to find out. Being sat directly over the driving wheels does not help either . I have used noisekiller on my van . The trouble is that wheels have got wider but tarmac technology has not. Concrete is by far the worst surface to drive though.

norm

goldi - 2015-10-31 3:58 PM

The trouble is that wheels have got wider but tarmac technology has not.

norm

That is very true, goldi, and is at the root of today's dismal road conditions.

We are still building and repairing roads using Victorian techonolgy, which is no match for the abuse it gets from today's vehicles.

A fleet of fixed tri-axle 48T timber lorries exiting a site can tear the road surface to pieces in a matter of hours on a warm day.

Vehicle technology has moved on and we aren't driving on 100mm cross-ply tyres any more, while road constructon technology is static.

Tarmacadam was a great invention - back in the day, but it's just not up to the job these days.

Carbon fibre roads, anyone..?

Back to the original question, there are many variables apart from the tyre, where differences in tread or tyre pressures can make a huge difference, as can slight damage to the sidewall or tread.

It could be the tracking, where time, kerbing or poor maintenance could mean one or both of the tyres are scrubbing when in a straight line,

Worn out dampers can cause vibration to transmit through the steering.

It could be resonance at a certain speed through body panels, is it the same at 50, 60 or 70?

Having said that, it could just be a feature of your vehicle that you have to live with.

We Have a Burstner Marano 2007, and has Agilis Camping tyres. What is interesting is the difference of 'road noise' on French roads, and indeed of various parts of the UK where there are different surfaces every couple of miles, it seems.

The actual noise transmitted to the van is wildly variable from this alone. Speed also dictates but no as much as road surfaces.

what we do find is the major source though is wind noise, and this van is by far the worst we have had on any of the 5 we have had. It seems there are two 'fixe open' ventilators, thought the roof, and there is no way to close these, other than sticking a piece of cardboard on the inside, not recommended as they are the - it would seem - necessary part of the habitation ventilation.,

I also think there is far too much wind noise from the window fittings-rather than the inset openings, they are 'surface' mounted, and the rubber gaskets around each window, whilst as tight as possible, are I think the source of much of the noise.

The other thought I have had is that all my previous vans, although all bar one have been low profile, they have had a cupboard or similar below the cab roof, so in the cab you were well insulated from road noise at front roof level. This one has merely a very shall shelf/open cupboard across the front and sides, and I feel whilst giving the impression of space, it does allow more noise to be heard..

Road noise is louder where larger sizes of stone are involved, its all to do with cost. Smaller stones take longer to process and therefor cost more. Larger stones mean less tar mix, more saving. Loud noise also reduces mpg.

Various parts of the bodywork on any vehicle will resonate to 'a noise' according to its wavelength and will be magnified somewhat depending on its fixing and location.

The patterns on tyre treads are designed for safety. If you really want the quietest tyres then they should be exceptionally hard and smooth with no treads ... running on smooth concrete or hard tarmac with no stones.

(PS I've covered many a mile on racing cycles and where every surface has its foibles)

Tracker - 2015-11-02 4:35 PMThis looks like an interesting development?http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent

A very interesting idea/concept.  Looking at our friend Google a 9db reduction appears to be actually, in terms we can relate to, an eight times reduction in the noise the tyres make....that's some reduction, if it works.  From another site, for those who prefer percentages....a 9db reduction means that only 12.5% of the original noise level remains.........amazing.

Yes it is a Burstner Aerovan (only done 7,500 miles) and yes it's road noise. At 60 mph + conversation, radio, impossible. On the very occasional smooth surface the noise all but disappears. I find it difficult to believe that all similar vans have the same problem. Tyres are Continental Vanco2 and are the originals as fitted by Burster.

Malo37 - 2015-11-03 11:47 PM

Tyres are Continental Vanco2 and are the originals as fitted by Burster.

What pressures are you running them at?

We have Vanco2 on our MH and find them considerably quieter than the old Vanco 8PR they replaced. So I wonder if you are running them at a particularly high pressure?

Keith.

Its not "The Concrete" Its not "The Tar"... It is ... 'The Surface'

Smooth concrete and smooth hard tar is perfect. It provides less 'rolling resistance'

More energy is required to pass across a rough surface than a smooth one. Producing more 'noise'

If your motorhome space is too noisy then fill it with more furniture or fix egg tray material all around the inside. Remember you are travelling in a 'Sound Box' !!

Tyre technology is a sales point. It cannot change the actual road surface.

Anyone interested in my surface findings then PM me.

Keithl - 2015-11-04 6:55 AM

Malo37 - 2015-11-03 11:47 PM

Tyres are Continental Vanco2 and are the originals as fitted by Burster.

What pressures are you running them at?

We have Vanco2 on our MH and find them considerably quieter than the old Vanco 8PR they replaced. So I wonder if you are running them at a particularly high pressure?

Keith.

In principle the higher the tyre inflation-pressure the potentially quieter a tyre should be where road-noise is concerned, as its ‘footprint’ on the road will be smaller. (The effect on the ride is another matter!)

I replaced the original Continental Vanco-8 tyres of my Transit-based Hobby motorhome with Vanco2 tyres and, although the replacements were a good deal quieter to begin with, the noise the replacements produced once they were worn in wasn’t much different (exactly as I expected would be the case). The Vanco2s were a bit quieter than the Vanco-8s on surfaces that I knew produced a lot of noise (whatever the vehicle and whatever the tyres fitted to it) but not dramatically quieter.

As the Vanco2 tread pattern is particularly ‘unagressive’, it’s unlikely that replacing the tyres on Malo37’s Burstner motorhome with another make will improve matters. As long as the Burstner’s steering geometry is OK, Ron’s Mercedes Sprinter-related comments on this thread’s previous page suggest that swapping tyres on the Burstner to reduce road noise would be ineffective.

"In principle the higher the tyre inflation-pressure the potentially quieter a tyre should be where road-noise is concerned, as its ‘footprint’ on the road will be smaller."

I wouldn't be too sure about that. A tight drum skin makes more noise than a slack one. I've reduced the front tyre pressures from 64psi down to 44 psi with substantially reduced noise. Will try reducing the rear pressures slightly next.

I did say “in principle”...

There is a good deal of on-line discussion about tyre noise and the effect of tyre inflation-pressures on it. This 2013 USA example

http://www.tirereview.com/the-fight-against-tire-noise/

says

"In general, vehicles carrying a light load produce lower tire noise than those with heavy loads. Tires running higher inflation pressures generate lower noise levels compared to those with lower inflation levels. Radials are much quieter than bias tires, and high speeds result in more noise than lower speeds.”

But these are generalisations and, if you’ve found that lowering your Burstner’s front tyre pressures by 20psi substantially reduces the intrusion of road noise into the vehicle, so be it. Presumably 44psi is OK for the size of Vanco2 tyres fitted and the motorhome’s front-axle loading, and does not have a significant effect on the vehicle’s on-road behaviour.

A friend of mine runs a garage. I recently took my car in because of road noise. Apart from the fact a wheel bearing was shot and contributed to the most noise, the tyres had a particular wear which he says is becoming increasingly common on rear tyres on all cars. The tyre on the inner edge of the tread wears with flat spots like a twenty pence piece and causes a rumble. No point in replacing them because the new ones would wear the same in a few thousand miles. No idea what causes it, he suspect it is impacts from speed bumps spreading the tyre ply.

To check your wheel bearings, jack up the wheels and spin them freely, if you then put your hand on the axle or springs you'll feel the clicking from the brinelling on the worn bearing.

Archived