Hymer Camp 64

Megan

Megan you must check for rust not take the sellers word for it, if there is any damp you will probably smell it but a damp meter, available on e-bay will help you find any. At that mileage it is probably had several owners so it is unlikely you will have a service history.

If you are mechanically minded you would probably be able deal with the mechanical side but don't worry. there are companies advertising nowadays who will do a condition and valuation report on the vehicle you will find these people if you Google "motorhome condition reports".

Don't buy without a test drive because the Fiat cab was not the most comfortable place to be for long trips.

Good luck with your purchase nd remember to keep some money back in case of problems

Hi thanks. I have a damp meter - just a bit worried they want a quick sale but it is the layout I want.

I've looked up Hymer and it seems to be a good sturdy make - and about a third of the price of the Swift Voyager I was toying with.

Megan, you're a bit short on the detail such as age of the van, whether private or dealer sale.

Make sure you see the vehicle before parting with money and at a place where the vehicle is expected to be parked. Too many scammers and traders exist with plausible reasons why you can't see the van until you've paid a deposit or who offer to meet up somewhere to show you the van - ideally see it parked actually on someone's drive. Do not be rushed into a quick purchase. Make sure the steering wheel is on the side you want.

Here's a basic guide to buying which might be of use

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-buyers-guide

Hymer's are generally built well and, if looked after, tend not to suffer from damp as much as some others. However, if it is similar to the Swift Voyager, then I'd be really surprised if it is a third of the price; Hymers keep their value very well.

Have found out a bit more about the vehicle. Left hand drive.

PEUGEOT

Date of first registration

04 November 2003

Year of manufacture

Cylinder capacity (cc)

2482cc

CO2Emissions

Not available

Fuel type

DIESEL

Vehicle status

Tax not due

Vehicle colour

WHITE

Vehicle type approval

Not available

Wheelplan

2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Megan - 2015-11-03 2:15 PM

Found about a bit more - it does not have power steering,

Make sure you take it for a test drive and try manouvering into a parking space or the like before you buy. Vehicles of this weight can be very difficult to steer at low speeds. Try before you buy!!!

Megan - 2015-11-03 2:15 PM

Is there somewhere I can check the weight for this vehicle?

The Max vehicle weight will be quoted on the VIN plate which should either be in the drivers door area or under the bonnet.

It will state the Max vehicle weight (GVW or MPTLM)

The Max Train weight (including any trailer)

Then the individual Max axle weights.

Check you have Class C1 on your driving licence if the GVW is over 3,500 kg.

As for the ACTUAL vehicle weight, you will have to take it to a public weighbridge to get that. Look in Yellow pages for one local to you.

HTH,

Keith.

Do you think the Camp 64 is better that an S670? Different design I know but seller claims the Camp64 was built on the original cab and that rust can be a problem particularly in the overhead bunk and not as good to drive?

Not sure what is a fair price - both are around 1991 to G and H reg

The S670 will have handled better when the vans were built but impossible to say whether it will have maintained that advantage over the years. An A-class should handle better than an overcab with a bed above the cab. I don't understand the point about rust in the overhead bed [the S670 was less prone to damp] or that is based on a Peugeot [Hymer built on Fiats and Talbot, the latter being the Peugeot version of the Fiat]. It seems it was not registered for four years after manufacture. So past history seems a little odd but given the age of the vehicle, perhaps not surprising.

You will need to test drive. I had a 1990 Talbot overcab motorhome and managed 27mpg - I doubt you will get more than 22mpg. It was heavy [no power steering], slow [no turbo], a vague gear change with the large floor mounted gear lever. Brakes were OK. It was tiring to drive back in the 90s. I reckon less than £5k for the 64 so if you get a couple of years out of it with little hassle, it'll be a good buy.

An S670 will be more depending on condition. For both of them, you can do an internet search and get comparable values.

Hi John

I must admit I am going off this idea. We had an overhead van once which rocked like a boat when driving and I'm guessing this might be the case with the Camp 64. The S670 is automatic, drop down bed over cab but he wants £15K which is too much for a G reg, I think and out of my budget. But it is the layout I want.

What do you have?

Megan, I have a two year old Hymer A-Class, the B504 which was the smallest A-Class they built and no longer build. My first was an Elddis Voyager in 1994. We had a caravan before motorhoming and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. I have learned that it is not the age or quality of the motorhome/caravan that we remember, it is the times we had in them.

Megan - 2015-11-05 5:23 PM

Tried the Camp 64 this afternoon and although the quality inside was lovely, I found LHD very difficult and no power steering. The side gearstick contraption was a nightmare too.

Is it something you get used to?

Answer - I doubt it!

If you think it is a nightmare now after just a short drive imagine driving it for several hours day in and day out?

Will it still be just a nightmare or worse???

Keith.

Find something you DO enjoy driving.

I love driving our MB Sprinter chassis AutoTrail and can quite happily drive for 300 miles in a day without rushing or feeling drained.

There are a lot of SH MH's out there so keep looking and most importantly keep driving them.

Keith.

You'll need to start looking at 1995 vans such as this

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/swift/royale/1995-swift-royale-540-diesel-much-wenlock-mfpa-8a788d133da0b55b013dc033da7142f0/makemodel/make/swift/model/royale/yearofregistration/1995

We switched from a Talbot to the new Fiat/Peugeot [Talbot name was dropped] base model. It will have a dash mounted gear lever. Not sure when the new model came out but it must be around 1994/5.

If this is above your budget, have a look at Panel Van Conversions, especially those from Auto-Sleeper which tend to age well. You can have a good time in a PVC!

I soon got used to the gear change and the lack of power steering in the old Talbot but driving one in modern traffic and LHD would be too much for me.

Fiat-Hymer-Swing

Hi someone has expressed this opinion 'you get much more van for your money.

You don't get the ' classic' look of the B534 but the 2.8jtd engine is a joy compared to the older 2.5tdi'

Would you agree?

Archived