Brittany Ferries Club Voyage

Cliffy

I was about to book Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Santander £880 Return and thought I would look in to their Club Voyage discounts.

It looks like an individual membership for a £100 registration fee and £115 per year membership would give me 30% discount on Spanish destinations (+ other benefits).

Therefore for a first year cost £215 I would save £264 on this trip straight away.

I am asking those who are or have been members. Is this correct? Or is there a catch. I will be travelling with my wife, will that make a difference to the fare discount.

I know I could use a 10% friends and family discount but the 30% ongoing sounds very attractive as we go to Europe at least once per year.

Cliffy - 2015-11-04 8:49 PM

I was about to book Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Santander £880 Return and thought I would look in to their Club Voyage discounts.

It looks like an individual membership for a £100 registration fee and £115 per year membership would give me 30% discount on Spanish destinations (+ other benefits).

Therefore for a first year cost £215 I would save £264 on this trip straight away.

I am asking those who are or have been members. Is this correct? Or is there a catch. I will be travelling with my wife, will that make a difference to the fare discount.

I know I could use a 10% friends and family discount but the 30% ongoing sounds very attractive as we go to Europe at least once per year.

You are correct. It is a no brainer. And if you use the service more than once a year you are quids in. And you get a couple of allowances for breakfast.

We have been members for 12 years and its the best thing travel wise we have ever done, aparty from the 30% discount we have benefitted from free Breakfasts each way,we have had discount by letting friends use our m,ship no; to gain 10% discount on their travel,giving us £10.00 per booking off your next trip.as well as the 15% discount off meals onboard, Happy sailing,fesspark

Cliffy - 2015-11-04 8:49 PM

If you join Spanish Club Voyager you will only get 10% of of any crossing to FRance.

Likewise if you join French CV you get 10% of Spain crossings. So best to decide which suits you. I guess the Spanish one, if that's what you use most, as also the most expensive fare.

We belong to French, as we are happy to drive down to Spain, still cheaper than going direct to Spain

PJay

yes, we joined this, (actually re-joined) when we returned to live in the West Country. and even on using one trip we covered the cost of membership on the first year. Now with inly the annual renewal to pay, we're well in pocket, and the more trips we can make (usually two per year) the better value it is.

Also the added value of 'day cabins' for free is a huge benefit when using, as we do. the Plymouth- Roscoff Crossing. Plus if you do an overnight you get something towards your breakfast...

I think there is also a benefit if you wish to change the crossing, but so far have never needed to investigate this.

I agree with the earlier comments that you have to choose which Country destination is best for you, and it surprising that they don't offer one which covers both destinations.

Not sure how much take-up there would be for a Club Voyage membership package that offered (say) 30% off fares to both Spain and France. "Club Voyage Spain” offers 30% off fares to Spain and 15% off fares to France, as well as free/half-price/discount savings on day cabins on French crossings plus other benefits, while “Club Voyage France” offers 30% off French fares, the cabin savings and other benefits and 10% off fares to Spain. I’m guessing Brittany Ferries has looked at the idea and decided against it as, for anyone who travels a lot on the French and Spanish routes, it’s already possible to join both schemes.

I don’t think the CV scheme benefits one if a booking needs to be changed. I’ve been a CV member for several years and, when I chose to cut short a holiday in France in 2012 I was charged the normal amendment fee (despite putting on a sad face and leaning heavily on a crutch as I limped to the Brittany Ferries desk at Ouistreham!)

I had to change our booking this year, due to OH having a fall and being on crutches . Did not cost anything, if fact it saved money as the new booking came within the cheaper season. Never book return, as you do not save any money, by doing so. I just book return a few days before needed, never had a problem (Yet)

PJay

PJay - 2015-11-06 9:37 AM

.................................. Never book return, as you do not save any money, by doing so. I just book return a few days before needed, never had a problem (Yet)

PJay

Not true in my experience. BF use dynamic pricing so this often means the later you buy a ticket the more expensive it gets.

Book a ticket a few days before sailing on the Santander to Plymouth crossing and the cost will double on certain sailings.

The information on the Brittany Ferries website about Club Voyage cabin discounts is as follows:

"Savings on our cruise ferries

Free day cabins*

Available on afternoon departures from the UK to France and morning departures from France to the UK. (One per crossing)

Half price day cabins*

Available on morning departures from the UK to France and afternoon departures from France to the UK.

Save up to 33% on Club Class day cabins*

Valid on all day sailings. (Where available)

*All cabin benefits are subject to availability and must be booked prior to departure. Free and half price discounts apply to inside cabins only (upgrade to an outside cabin for a supplement). Cabin benefits do not apply to promotional, holiday or foot passenger fares and cannot be applied to pet-friendly cabins...”

The terms and conditions relating to booking amendments are described here

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/amendments-cancellations/how-can-i-change-my-ferry-booking

It will be noted that on-line amendments can be made free of charge up to 5 days before the date of outward travel - I changed my booking for the return trip from France and not on-line so the £25 fee applied.

I think Brittany Ferries uses a fairly simple pricing structure that (as Mike says) means that the later one books the more expensive the fare is likely to be. I’m not sure if that counts as ‘dynamic pricing’ in the way that the term is used with airline bookings as I’ve seen no evidence that the BF fares alter according to demand and/or the availability of space on the ship.

I think with regard to earlier point....the fares are often cheaper earlier, but not always, and I guess it depends on demand for a particular sailing. If we book early enough and we are travelling on 'popular' sailing,s then I have occasionally checked nearer the time, and yes we had made good savings.

I have a feeling that changes can be made for free up to a later date (ie nearer the actual date of travel)than as a non member.

As far as I can work out there are no actual savings on the overnight cabins, but you do get a voucher for each traveller towards breakfast of your choice. We find that from the time of wake up call (or our alarm clock) until disembarking call, its often only enough time to get a coffee-and croissant plus fruit juice,(or what they call continental breakfast ) but at least that then becomes free!

Keith T - 2015-11-06 4:16 PM

I think with regard to earlier point....the fares are often cheaper earlier, but not always, and I guess it depends on demand for a particular sailing. If we book early enough and we are travelling on 'popular' sailing,s then I have occasionally checked nearer the time, and yes we had made good savings.

I have a feeling that changes can be made for free up to a later date (ie nearer the actual date of travel)than as a non member.

As far as I can work out there are no actual savings on the overnight cabins, but you do get a voucher for each traveller towards breakfast of your choice. We find that from the time of wake up call (or our alarm clock) until disembarking call, its often only enough time to get a coffee-and croissant plus fruit juice,(or what they call continental breakfast ) but at least that then becomes free!

You could always get up earlier, if you want breakfast, but that's the beauty of a motor home, get going and stop for a ;ate breakfast of early lunch.

PJay

Keith T - 2015-11-06 4:16 PM

...I have a feeling that changes can be made for free up to a later date (ie nearer the actual date of travel)than as a non member...

As It’s evident from Brittany Ferries website (see my last posting) that on-line booking changes can be made by anyone free of charge up to 5 days before the date of outward sailing, it’s difficult to imagine that Club Voyage members could be given even better treatment. There’s nothing in BF’s Club Voyage or general terms and conditions to suggest this.

With regard to the comments relating to Brittany Club Voyage it is also worth noting that you can share the membership with a friend or family member who will get the same benefits.

The cost for a joint member is £65 for Spain or £35 for the French section.(2016 prices)

Brittany Ferries used to have a joint club (as suggested) but recently split it to 2 countries.

We have been members for many years and can recommend it.

Not being a frequent traveller these days, I would ask is the annual fee conditional for a given number of years?

PS not sure if conditional is the correct word here. Does the purchaser have to pay the annual fee for a given number of years was the query ?

you pay the one off joining fee, then pay annually. You could always use one of us who are members number, and get 10% discount, It is probably not worth paying the annual fee, if you don't travel more than once a year.

Send a pm if you want a number

PJay

• 5 years later...

Joined the French one today (£75 +£75). On our £199 each way Portsmouth-St Malo (excluding accommodation) in Jan-Feb we'd save £120 plus free breakfast and free day cabin on our return. Not bad for the expensive first year.

Pleasantly surprised when booking, that for the next fortnight, bookings up to March, are getting a 40% discount. So we're financially in pocket with the additional benefits.

Archived