12v lighting connections

ShoelessSmith

Hello, I have decided to replace all the halogen spot lamps with 12v LEDs.

The questions I have concerns the connections.

1. Does the polarity matter? I ask because all I see are two wires coming down from a hole in the woodwork and they are both the same colour.

2. This is the tricky one. The lamps I have have two wires, one red and one black, which are a few inches long. However, the wiring in my motorhome appear from the woodwork and are plumbed directly into the lamps which have no screws etc to unfasten.

So it seems that I have to cut the wires (hence the polarity question) but I need to connect the two wires together. What's the best way to connect two small 12v wires together and be able to stuff the connectors back through the hole in the woodwork? The normal white connector blocks are too large for this. Is there something specific I should use or is it going to be one heck of a bodge job?

Malc

ShoelessSmith - 2015-11-10 11:54 AM

Hello, I have decided to replace all the halogen spot lamps with 12v LEDs.

So it seems that I have to cut the wires (hence the polarity question) but I need to connect the two wires together. What's the best way to connect two small 12v wires together and be able to stuff the connectors back through the hole in the woodwork? The normal white connector blocks are too large for this. Is there something specific I should use or is it going to be one heck of a bodge job?

Malc

How about a) make the hole in the woodwork bigger so plastic connectors will go through ?

b) connect using insulating tape ?

(?)

Thanks. Though these come under the realm of 'bodge'.

I have to say that I have ten left thumbs when it comes to any form of DIY so I want to make sure that I have the right tools. And being on this waggon for the foreseeable future I don't have access to drills and stuff like that.

I am sure that there are some in-line connectors which are small and dinky. I shall dig further.

Thanks

malc

Polarity is very important on LED lights so make sure before you fit into the ceiling otherwise they wont work .As for joining the cables I would solder them in view of the small hole they protrude through.

Buy suitable size Shrink sleeve from MAPLINS (2.99 approx) make sure you have the polarity right before soldering also have the sleeving in place over each cable to slide over the joint prior to shrinking with a hair dryer.

Brian K

Edited added

Just read your post about your DIY skills ..have a look here may help

...LEDs in their natural state are polarity dependent. However most, if not all, you will now buy for 12v lighting purposes will have additional circuitry that will make them polarity independent. Even if you manage to get some of the former, then it is unlikely you will damage them by reverse polarity connection. Test for them working before finally wiring up and reverse if necessary.

It is very unlikely that your existing lamps have long wiring "tails" on them. Any connection is likely to be close to the rear of the fitting (behind the hole). Can you get access behind to find these connectors?

If not, for a very small hole, twist and solder the wiring, then insulate with tape or heat-shrink sleeving.

In tight spaces join the cables so that you can slip the heat shrink on after you solder or the heat from soldering will shrink it in the wrong place!

If you have no access to a soldering iron these connecting strips are very handy and can be cut into individual connectors to ease back into a tight space.

To reduce the size further you can remove all the polythene insulation and cover the bare metal connector with heat shrink tube.

Or if your skills are not up to soldering in awkward conditions then why not use automotive crimp connectors?

You do need a special pair of crimping pliers but they should only cost a couple of pounds, you may even find some in your local pound shop if you're lucky :)

Keith.

Thanks for the replies. I think that soldering may be a bit of a faff here given the recent problems with the wiring on half of the 12v side of things (another story).

I will see if I can find some small connectors. I seem to recall from the dim and distant past finding some small brass cylinders which were connectors of sorts. If I can find something that's smaller than the standard plastic/nylon connector then I would be happy to do this job.

Thanks for the information on the polarity. It is as I had suspected, it being a diode and all that.

Now to find something suitable and to work out where I am going to be based in a week so that I can have it delivered to.

Cheers

malc

thanks, this looks like an idiot can do the job. Which is just as well as there's one here handy.

I will look into these and I guess I am going to need a smaller spade end and a socket end too. In fact I like the sound of this exercise with this stuff now.

I will research this more in the morning.

Muchly appreciated

Malc

Roadpro (Bless'em) sell LED bulbs that have a rectifier circuit which means they can be plugged in, and not be affected by polarity.

Replaced all my halogen bulbs, means now the heating has to be on, but at least I am not suffering from burns when aiming the spotlights.

Rgds

....if it is the spot lamps that are the issue, one possible solution is to buy replacements that aren't "flush fit" but have a hollow base which stands off from the mounting surface.

Judicious selection might then give you the opportunity to connect up and mount the unit over the connecting block - it disappearing into the hollow base (if it were small enough).

A standard 5-amp plastic block cut to two-way doesn't take up much room and might just fit.

Archived