elddis step fault

newstar

newstar - 2015-11-11 7:36 PM

I have an 2012 Elldis 155. The electric step has broken free from the underside of the van just in front of the rear wheel arch. Elddis are refusing to help because it is just out of the 3 year warranty. Has anyone else had this problem?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Martin.

The following link is to a 2014 MHFun discussion about an Elddis motorhome-step recall

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/elddis-motorhome-recall.83048/

I don’t think it relates to the type of fault that would cause an electric step to break free from the vehicle, but who knows?

As ‘Agaric’ has said, steps are (for obvious reasons) usually bolted very firmly securely to a motorhome and it would be necessary to diagnose why yours has broken free to establish who best to ‘blame’. If accidental damage has not contributed to the breakage (It happens - I speak from experience!!) and the mounting system has failed, Elddis could be considered at fault. If the step itself has broken, the step’s manufacturer (Thule?) could be considered responsible.

If you have not already done so, your first port of call should be the dealer who sold you the motorhome (assuming that you bought it new) who can inspect the vehicle, decide on the likely cause of the breakage and progress your complaint.

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum,

Under the sale of goods act you have a right to expect goods to last a 'reasonable lifetime'. This is usually considered to be six years but may have exceptions.

So if your failure is obviously due to either a material fault or bad workmanship at build you should expect your dealer (not Elddis) to repair at either no cost to yourself or at the worst a minimum charge to cover any improvement (eg if a part which would normally be expected to wear was replaced as part of the repair).

It may be worth contacting the Citizens Advice or Trading Standards for advice on how to proceed.

Obviously if the failure was due to physical damage or misuse then I'm afraid you're on your own but don't let the dealer fob you off with the usual 'It's out of warranty' statement.

Keith.

Archived