Spam by the bucket load......

RogerC

• 2 weeks later...
RogerC - 2015-11-13 10:50 PM

Anyone else noticed the huge increase in 'spam' postings of late?  I'm thinking it would be nice if the mods (or tech bods) could sort it out.

No to be honest, I have not noticed an increase (there has always been some). Whenever I see a SPAM post I do report it to the mods and this is probably the best way to tackle the situation. The only other option is to have each post vetted before it appears and this would reduce the spontaneity of the Forum.

• 3 weeks later...
spospe - 2015-11-26 10:35 AM

RogerC - 2015-11-13 10:50 PM

Anyone else noticed the huge increase in 'spam' postings of late?  I'm thinking it would be nice if the mods (or tech bods) could sort it out.

No to be honest, I have not noticed an increase (there has always been some). Whenever I see a SPAM post I do report it to the mods and this is probably the best way to tackle the situation. The only other option is to have each post vetted before it appears and this would reduce the spontaneity of the Forum.

It always seems to happen at the weekend.

As a result of the TalkTalk event my phone number and email was released to all and sundry. We have a telephone system that used intelligently can soon deal with the spam callers. We now seem to have illiminated all such calls. Partly to our telephone system and the intelegent way we have used it and proberbly partly due to the significant fines that been imposed on some of,the foes generating the calls.

TalkTalk have a filtering system for spam emails but it does leave a little to be desired. I now run a Microsoft gold partners system called Spam Fighter. Needs a bit of work to get the best out of it for the first few weeks making sure that some sights are marked as safe and others blacked etc..

I do feel sorry for all the Russian young ladies desperately looking for love. I'd like help but my she say NO. Truth is that at my age I doubt I'd be up to helping them all!

Colin Leake - 2015-12-19 7:23 PM

I do feel sorry for all the Russian young ladies desperately looking for love. I'd like help but my she say NO. Truth is that at my age I doubt I'd be up to helping them all!

You mean you don't get the ones for a certain 'male pressure increasing' medication too???? :D

Because I'm our local neighbourhood watch coordinator I get a regular news letter from our local police which I then forward to other members. Details of local crimes, pictures of most wanted, details of product recalls, recommendations re fire precautions and spam doing the rounds etc. Last week it was two days late arriving. Seems the original contain and bit on scam emails and how to deal with them etc. Only problem was that most people's spam filters including mine didn't like and dumped it into then junk or,filter box!

• 3 weeks later...
Duncan MMM - 2016-01-18 4:46 PM

They are professional spammers. Different username, email address and IP address on every single one. Even if I banned one, they can obviously just post with different details each time. I've deleted the posts but it helps if you see stuff and report it.

Is this worth a try Duncan?

If new members were allowed access to the forum and search facility from the moment they joined but were not allowed to post anything for say 24 hours maybe that would be easy enough to set up by the Mods and might just deter the spammers?

Or maybe if new members were sent an automated email to which they had to respond to gain access?

Archived