Installing Solar panels

Jack

The answer to this query may be patently obvious, however, here it is:

I have been considering buying and installing a 120 watt panel system (£100ish) onto our van. However, I have been given a fairly new 80 watt panel and I'm unclear as to whether the 'free' panel would be an adequate option. I am aware that I need the specific Schaudt controller etc and therefore, the work and on costs will be the same with both options. What do you think?

Have a look at our Solar Power Hints and Tips page as it gives you installation tips, plus how to size your panel by giving Solar panel output at various time of year. http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

There is also a page that shows how the Solar power gain drops as you go further North in the UK.

For example, some people are not aware that the Solar Harvest, on an equivalent Sunny day, in Cornwall can be one third greater than Scotland. This is aside from the effects of weather, from Cloud, etc.

The information helps you work out your system size depending on where you plan to use the Solar system, etc. Once that is worked out it gives advice on installation.

I agree, fit the larger panel. or if you have space get another 80 watt and link them ,

i have a 120 watt Panel and camp off grid all the time

It covers TV viewing/ lighting/ water pump on 1 x 110 amp battery usually in spring summer replenishes battery to full by 12 midday.

Obviously if you are running heating ie blow air more batteries would be required.

Take the 80W panel, and buy another identical panel.

Remember that when wiring panels in parallel, open circuit voltage must be a good match. You can do this with a cheap PWM charge controller - in fact for panels wired in parallel, PWM is often better than MPPT since an MPPT can 'hunt' endlessly for the maximum power point under some conditions with multiple panels. Eg partial shading.

If you choose to wire 2 panels in series, you'll need an MPPT charge controller, and the short circuit current for the panels must match. Losses with a cheap PWM controller with serially wired panels would be massive.

Nigel

Archived