Ducato loss of power and EML

JD6620

I have a 2007 Autotrail on a Fiat Ducato base. I have an intermittent problem with the van suffering a loss of power below 2000rpm and the EML comes on. When I pull away from a junction if I keep the revs up above 2000rpm it pulls fine, anything below and there is just no power. After a while it seems to clear and the van drives ok and usually the next day when I start up the EML goes out. This problem only seems to occur when it's wet or damp conditions, as yet it has never happened when it is completely dry. Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Agree with the above. You will need to get it plugged in to a decent diagnostic device and see what clues come up.

My instincts tell me that this could be more to do with how you drive the vehicle in damp conditions than the damp and it's effect on the engine. If you are using smaller throttle openings and are just being more gentle because of the conditions this might actually be the difference that we are looking for. Damaged wiring will still be a problem when dry and the injector wiring is not affected by water at all.

If you see the description "Throttle Valve Control" when the diagnostic is done; it would suggest that the throttle body is doing what it does; i.e. fail. Part throttle openings will cause the devices connected with EGR to be operating more often and the risk of faults becomes greater.

Thinking outside the box is what i do!

Nick

But as you know Nick, there is no fault code for a mouse in the inlet, I can't remember what fault codes you picked up, but both Pug (in france) and Fiat in UK found EGR problem codes.

Has the OP looked for mice? It's only 3 (? ) screws to be removed to check.

colin - 2015-11-26 8:38 PM

But as you know Nick, there is no fault code for a mouse in the inlet, I can't remember what fault codes you picked up, but both Pug (in france) and Fiat in UK found EGR problem codes.

Has the OP looked for mice? It's only 3 (? ) screws to be removed to check.

Definitely Colin. This is definitely the first and cheapest thing to check. Remove the top of the air filter housing and remove the filter. Look for signs of plastic debris, straw, poo and most of all; dead mice!

I'm going to check the air filter when I get home today. I don't drive any differently when it's wet or dry. When this problem occurs the cruise control tends to stop working as well, either the light on the dash goes out or it won't set the speed. After an engine restart the cruise control works again but the power issue usually remains.

Check your brake lights! And the switch and all the wiring to them.

On most modern diesels if you touch the brake pedal while also pressing the accelerator then the engine will cut the power as a safety feature. Try it sometime.

So if you have a fault on the brake light circuit this will trip out the cruise control as though you where braking and restrict the engine power much as you describe.

Worth looking at.

Keith.

Archived