Spare Gas bottle storage

sakofox

In the garden, with my son fishing. So tied to the Motorhome is not an option , hence the question in the first place.

Well, I don't have room for a lake in the garden of my semi-detached for fishing, so suggest you invest in a charcoal BBQ and save us all the time and effort in trying to give you helpful advice. I'd have a charcoal barby anytime but it's not always convenient to carry in MH.

For what it’s worth, I’m going to suggest that (unless one is going to travel only within the UK and/or there’s no room to put the bottle elsewhere) strapping a gas-bottle in the living-area entrance step’s ‘well’ may not be the best plan.

It’s commonplace nowadays for motorhomes to be internally inspected before sea voyages and ferry-company staff may not be overjoyed if a ’spare’ gas-bottle is immediately visible when the motohome’s entrance door is opened. Then there’s practicality - even the smallest Calor bottle is quite bulky and will potentially inhibit entering and leaving the vehicle via the habitation entrance. And I don’t think there being air vents near the step will much matter safety-wise in the (unlikely) event that the bottle leaks.

I’d just carry the bottle inside the motorhome in a low-level storage locker where it can’t move about and can’t be seen.

I have done this in the past storing a 907 Camping Gaz bottle in an under seat locker. However, I can say that nowadays the security at ferry terminals do look under the seats and beds quite rigorously. What they are looking for I dare not say as it is probably not PC, but I guess most people know. I did venture to enquire from security at Zeebrugge one year and was told that it was 'guns and explosives' they were checking for. Not exactly what I was expecting.

Anyway, as they always ask me if my gas cylinders are turned off then maybe finding a secure storage point is probably best.

Hi Duncan,

We have exactly the solution you require. Our MH came fitted with an external BBQ point so I have 2 metres of hose connected to the BBQ then a further 3 metre length with matching Male and Female connections to use as an extension if ever I need to position the BBQ outside the 2 metre range. I have only ever used this once on a very windy site when I had to use the BBQ on the opposite side of the MH to the external point.

At home I then have a short length of hose connected to the cylinder top regulator of my spare cylinder with a matching Female connector on the other end.

So I can use the BBQ at home from my spare cylinder, take it away with the spare cylinder (eg for your fishing trip) or plug it directly into the MH without having to carry a loose cylinder.

In my view this gives me the best of all options.

My view for what it's worth.

Keith.

Edit to add: These are the fitting I use...

http://www.caktanks.com/files/cak_catalogue_2012/2012_CAK_Gas.pdf

Page 61 GQCN8 to connect to the MH

Page 61 GQCSTR8 and GQCN8 to make the extension hose

The Female fittings have self sealing valves so there is no risk of gas leaks as long as they are always used the correct way round.

Duncan

You own an Auto-Trail Excel 600 motorhome with a Webasto diesel-fuelled air/water heater.

From this model’s specification it would appear that the gas-locker (located between the living-area entrance door and the cab passenger door) can hold two UK-norm 7kg gas bottles, but the only ‘drain’ on that gas will be to run the fridge (when the motorhome is not being driven or on 230V hook-up) and for cooking.

It’s generally the case that heating (especially air-heating) depletes a motorhome’s gas storage most, so I’m asking myself whether you can’t dispense with one of the two 7kg bottles and carry in the Excel’s gas-locker just a single 7kg bottle, plus your 3.9kg BBQ bottle. That way you would not need to concern yourself with potential ‘illegality' or where you stored the BBQ bottle within the motothome’s interior, and you’d retain total flexibility regarding where you did the BBQ-ing.

(To me it seems overkill to contemplate adding an external gas-point to Duncan’s motorhome, particularly as (as he suggested earlier) the motorhome’s design does not lend itself to the addition of a gas-point where it would be most useful for him. If the idea of carrying just one 7kg canister for cooking and fridge operation is worrying (because one might run out of gas) it would probably be as cheap - and certainly a whole lot simpler - to opt for a 7kg-size user-refillable gas-bottle - than to install an external gas-point.)

Derek Uzzell - 2015-12-12 9:30 AM

Duncan

You own an Auto-Trail Excel 600 motorhome with a Webasto diesel-fuelled air/water heater.

From this model’s specification it would appear that the gas-locker (located between the living-area entrance door and the cab passenger door) can hold two UK-norm 7kg gas bottles, but the only ‘drain’ on that gas will be to run the fridge (when the motorhome is not being driven or on 230V hook-up) and for cooking.

It’s generally the case that heating (especially air-heating) depletes a motorhome’s gas storage most, so I’m asking myself whether you can’t dispense with one of the two 7kg bottles and carry in the Excel’s gas-locker just a single 7kg bottle, plus your 3.9kg BBQ bottle. That way you would not need to concern yourself with potential ‘illegality' or where you stored the BBQ bottle within the motothome’s interior, and you’d retain total flexibility regarding where you did the BBQ-ing.

(To me it seems overkill to contemplate adding an external gas-point to Duncan’s motorhome, particularly as (as he suggested earlier) the motorhome’s design does not lend itself to the addition of a gas-point where it would be most useful for him. If the idea of carrying just one 7kg canister for cooking and fridge operation is worrying (because one might run out of gas) it would probably be as cheap - and certainly a whole lot simpler - to opt for a 7kg-size user-refillable gas-bottle - than to install an external gas-point.)

Derek

Thanks for the feedback, I think we will go with your suggestion or just keep the two 7kg bottles and put up with removing one from the locker when needed, although the small bottle would be easier and it could be used as a backup if we run out of gas for the fridge.

So thanks to all for the feedback - this case is now closed. :-)

When we last had a van with diesel heating a 6kg bottle of Calor propane would last us at least three weeks when used for for cooking and fridge only.

Two 6kg bottles lasted us for 7 weeks when we toured Norway and Sweden in June with temperatures ranging from flippin' cold in the far North to flippin' hot in Baltic Coastal Sweden when due to the high cost of eating we did more in van cooking than usual.

We carry a third bottle in the garage when skiing. The 60 litre plastic drum just takes a 13kg calor or 11kg French bottle perfectly with a bit of foam padding inside to stop it rocking.

Kev

edit: why can't I add the photo? I've reduced the size several times down to 48kb.

Anyway, it's one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60L-Litre-Ltr-Open-Top-Plastic-Storage-Drum-Barrel-Keg-With-Lid-Brand-New/141806798939?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D584f7401d5cb4c0c82c2faf6e35b0c56%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D221943466985

and it well strapped into a shaped ply bracket.

kevina - 2015-12-13 3:44 PM

...edit: why can't I add the photo? I've reduced the size several times down to 48kb...

I seem to be having the same difficulty posting jpeg images. It started a few days ago and, although the file ‘choosing’ procedure appears to function as normal, the photo-file is not transferred to the posting. It’s not a file-size issue as the files I’ve been attempting to attach have been around 20KB.

Incidentally, including links that have a large content - like your ebay Storage Drum one - will ‘stretch’ a forum-thread’s page horizontally, making the postings difficult to read. There a ways to avoid this happening like using TinyURL

http://tinyurl.com/

Archived