John Wickersham

dick GCT

Reading through what parts of the Caravan Club web site that you can today ( 2016 booking day today ) I came across a tribute at just before 4pm to John Wickersham. Describing him as our "guru" which I fully endorse. Has any member on this forum heard of Johns passing? Or have I completely misunderstood the info. which I read?

John,

Are you sure about that?

I can only find an obituary for a John Wickersham who passed away on 27th June 2014 who lived in East Moline, IL in the USA.

http://easyfhweb.com/restinpeace.aspx?MemberId=135976&MName=John%20%20Wickersham&FLVId=

And the John Wickersham who is the author of Caravan and MotorCaravan manuals still has a 'Live' Linked In profile...

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/john-wickersham-20238839

Keith.

dick GCT - 2015-12-09 4:59 PM

Reading through what parts of the Caravan Club web site that you can today ( 2016 booking day today ) I came across a tribute at just before 4pm to John Wickersham. Describing him as our "guru" which I fully endorse. Has any member on this forum heard of Johns passing? Or have I completely misunderstood the info. which I read?

I'm afraid it's true - very sad news.

Sad news. Very sorry to hear that he has passed away.

I purchased a copy of his Motorcaravanning Handbook earlier this year and thought it an excellent publication. Hugely informative - obviously a man with a remarkable depth of knowledge about our hobby and the machines we drive and stay in.

How did his passing come about with no-one knowing about it ? His technical articles were always interesting and informative, he built his own Motorcaravan ....twice, a very capable man, I still have one of his early manuals, which I still occasionally refer to. He will be missed. He was from the age when DIY maintenance was positively encouraged, me too. Couldn't name anyone who could fill his shoes ?

How did he die ? He wasn't that old .

John died in a hospice on Saturday as a result of cancer. He was 73, and had enjoyed life to the full. He would have been last person to complain about how life had treated him, and had indeed been very fit until a few months ago. John was not only a successful journalist but more importantly a thoroughly decent man. And amusing too. His was a life fully lived, and that's as much as any of us can ask for.

Archived