inverter wired to solar panel

mentaliss

A 600w inverter to power a TV 8-)

You would be far better getting a proper 12v TV. Mine pulls about 1 amp at 12v or 12w.

A normal mains LCD TV will use about 100 - 150 watts so a 300w inverter would be plenty.

The inverter is wired to the battery, the solar panel charges the battery. Your mains TV might pull 8 - 10 amps from the battery, it won't last long at that rate.

H

Seconded, the inverter will pull 12W with nothing connected, then given its only going to be 85% efficient, and your TV is designed for an unlimited power environment you can expect a min 60W pull to watch telle. My 18.5" avtex pulls about 16W. Dead leisure batteries are the assured outcome!

Nigel

Ok, I can accept they're ok for many things and you probably won't notice things running slightly warmer with a slightly shorter life, but pure sine wave ones aren't that much more money now and I'd definitely do the job right/once and the best type. My Chinese (Meind brand I think) 1000w pure sine wave was only about £90 and seems great build quality. I had to wait a month for it to be delivered though.

sshortcircuit - 2015-12-10 7:54 AM

Technically correct but still total sales hype. Over the years using modified sine I have never had any problems and all devices connected have operated satisfactorily. I understood it was more to do with Hertz?

We have had two toothbrush chargers fried using a modified sine-wave inverter. Sine wave inverters are more expensive and do seem to use more power, but if you want 100% freedom from problems, they are the way to go.

Thanks for your input, however my CELLO TV (£243) went down whilst in SPAIN ......needs new onboard voltage transformer!!! £163...I don't think so ! So we bought a decent Samsung semi smart 22" Tv mains it might be but its display better than most over priced 240/12volt TV's if we have to use mains only at hook up then well just have to live with it...however I'm being told that changing my solar panel basic charging controller to a computerised type unit might allow me to connect the inverter to the additional 'load input' (not to the battery)...needs some researching!

Hi

I had a stecca PWM solar controller with LCD display and a 'load' output. This 'load' output was nothing special, but it did allow a measure of AH consumed to be read off the display. Voltage was regulated to around 12V - so even if panels had pushed battery voltage up to 14V+ it would still push out ~12V. It was only rated 10A though.

On new van, I have an EPSolar MPPT controller with remote control - nice bit of kit, very configurable. Have not even connected up the 'load' output on this though.

Nigel

mentaliss - 2015-12-10 11:00 AM

Thanks for your input, however my CELLO TV (£243) went down whilst in SPAIN ......needs new onboard voltage transformer!!! £163...I don't think so ! So we bought a decent Samsung semi smart 22" Tv mains it might be but its display better than most over priced 240/12volt TV's if we have to use mains only at hook up then well just have to live with it...however I'm being told that changing my solar panel basic charging controller to a computerised type unit might allow me to connect the inverter to the additional 'load input' (not to the battery)...needs some researching!

If you did that you would only be able to use the TV an hour or two either side of midday in mid summer.

Sorry this is not my expertise, please explain?

140 watt Solar panel constantly charging via computerised controller with additional load output, are you saying then that the inverter would not be able to run the Tv for say 2-3 hours.....

ones knowledge is always appreciated :-)

Charles - 2015-12-09 9:39 PM

My 18" tv pulls 1.3 amps via my pure sine wave inverter. It's 240v only but it plays SD cards so I'm sticking with it.

240volts at 1.3 amps =1.3times240 watts=approx 300 ..that is a hot tv.!!!

Or do you really mean that the input to invertor is 1.3 amps when output 240volts is powering tv.?

Either way, the use of invertor to generate 240 volts from 12 volts to power tv is not really sensible, as a modern tv is probably runs via a little black box psu which converts 240 down to 12 anyway,

what tv are you using?

Tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-12-10 3:29 PM

Charles - 2015-12-09 9:39 PM

My 18" tv pulls 1.3 amps via my pure sine wave inverter. It's 240v only but it plays SD cards so I'm sticking with it.

240volts at 1.3 amps =1.3times240 watts=approx 300 ..that is a hot tv.!!!

Or do you really mean that the input to invertor is 1.3 amps when output 240volts is powering tv.?

Either way, the use of invertor to generate 240 volts from 12 volts to power tv is not really sensible, as a modern tv is probably runs via a little black box psu which converts 240 down to 12 anyway,

what tv are you using?

Tonyg3nwl.

Of course. I meant the inverter takes 1.3 amps from the battery. Which is about 0.3 amps more than a 12v would take directly. It's an 18" Samsung TV that is rated at 30w but in eco mode it obviously takes less. The tv's power supply is built in so can't be bypassed. I like the TV very much as it plays all video file formats so I'm prepared to live with the extra 0.3 amps used

mentaliss - 2015-12-10 2:43 PM

140 watt Solar panel constantly charging via computerised controller with additional load output, are you saying then that the inverter would not be able to run the Tv for say 2-3 hours.....

Connected to the load output of the regulator you will only get power when the solar panels are producing power, and you only get maximum power a couple of hours either side of midday in mid summer.

I believe that your comment was miss understood eg it was believed that you were trying to power telle direct off solar panel without a battery! This wouldn't work well anyway, voltage from panel would be higher than telle wanted and would have been dropped by the stecca == wasted energy.

The load output on my stecca, like yours functions whether day or night. by day, it effectively robs some of the charging current that would otherwise have gone to the battery, by night 100% comes from the battery.

Nigel

veletron - 2015-12-11 12:01 AM

I believe that your comment was miss understood eg it was believed that you were trying to power telle direct off solar panel without a battery! This wouldn't work well anyway, voltage from panel would be higher than telle wanted and would have been dropped by the stecca == wasted energy.

The load output on my stecca, like yours functions whether day or night. by day, it effectively robs some of the charging current that would otherwise have gone to the battery, by night 100% comes from the battery.

Nigel

Thanks, but I'm none the wiser the tv is powered by mains 240 volts A/C not 12 volt DC the panels maximum output is 17.9 volts DC?????? Perhaps I need to learn electrical theory?

lennyhb - 2015-12-10 7:29 PM

mentaliss - 2015-12-10 2:43 PM

Connected to the load output of the regulator you will only get power when the solar panels are producing power, and you only get maximum power a couple of hours either side of midday in mid summer.

I'm still digging here, does the inverter not store enough energy from the ' Panel ' ? so are we saying a

600 watt panel would not run a tv for 2-3 hours..if so what's the point of such a device

Archived