Question for IT bods - proxy server

manxli

Hi

I'm sure lots of people have been perplexed in trying to run BBC iPlayer or the like on WiFi abroad, only to encounter rejection messages that the IP address is not in the UK?

There is a low power consumption little 'gizmo' available called 'Rasberry Pi' , which can be programmed to do IT stuff. In principle, one could use it to setup a proxy server on one's home broadband router and login it to 'surf' from abroad but using the UK IP address. Has anyone done something like this already?

I'm certainly going to try to set it up when I get back to the UK.

Alan

Cyberghost for BBC Iplayer is a good one . I us Manchester as my default location ...you may have to wait as there is usually a queue to join free but dosnt take more than a couple of minutes to get to the front.

Another one is HOLA but my security says it not safe so stopped using it .

Brian K

If you use Chrome browser you can install either Zenmate or Hola extensions which enable you to choose an IP address in the UK so you can access BBC iPlayer whilst on Mainland Europe. Either extension is available through Chrome Web Store and both are perfectly safe to use, despite another poster saying that his anti-virus marked Hola as 'unsafe' so he removed it.

All I do is use www,filmon.com to stream live TV and for stuff I have missed there are loads of free streaming sites on the net. I just use them when I have a good wifi connection and most programs that have been on the main channels are up there and for ITV, Channel 4 etc they are advert free as well.

Ive used Cyberghost in the past but its not always reliable and Zenmate does not give you a UK ip address in the free version.

Hi

If you have a decent router at home that offers VPN functionality - either PPTP or OpenVPN (latter more secure), then you can get a UK IP address by running your iPlayer activities through your home internet.

Beware that you will need fibre/Virgin etc at home for this to work as the upstream speed on bog standard ADSL is too slow for iPlayer. Also, note that you will need a decent monthly limit, or unlimited since everything will count twice (download+upload).

The good news is that once you have a router, there is no monthly subscription/usage limit/throttling going on. Its also useful for other things - an extra layer of security when using wifi in a cafe/pub etc.

I prefer this system to using some commercial VPN provider because I own the lot - I am not entrusting some unknown entity not to poke at my data.

The Asus RT-AC68U is the router I use. Its quite old now and likely available on fleabay for reasonable money. If shopping, the router needs to offer a 'VPN Server', note that 'VPN Passthrough' is not the same thing. It is also possible to add VPN server functionality to your home network by downloading/configuring an image for a raspberry Pi.

Also, note that a static IP address is handy, or sign up for DynDNS or NoIP if your IP is dynamic - so that you have a static URL to stick in your VPN config on remote device.

A further advantage of using your home internet is that the BBC cant exactly block it from accessing iPlayer, but they could (easily) do a blanket block of the NetBlock owned by a commercial VPN/Proxy provider.

Nigel

Hi

There is no 'kit' to use abroad. One just simply puts the IP address of the home router in the 'proxy server' option in the Browser such as Firefox or Chrome etc....

The 'Rasberry PI kit' I originally mentioned connects to the home router, but veletron knows of a router with the functionality built in. I'll take a look at the ASUS router concerned.

A question to Veletron: How do you find out the new home IP address if it changes (DHCP) whilst abroad?

Alan

If you have a dynamic, rather than a static IP, sign up for dyndns or no-ip - this gives you a URL (internet address eg: myaddress.no-ip.biz that always points at your current IP address. After signing up for dyndns/no-ip, you head into your routers own config and tell it to update dyndns/no-ip every time the ip address changes.

You then use the address myaddress.no-ip.biz instead of an ip address in the VPN client on your device.

Nigel

Archived