leisure battery

mids

I like that idea of an ex Military Vehicle conversion!!

Coming back to the original question of whether it was the Battery or the 'charger', the Power Supply description states, "To ensure that battery overcharging does not occur the transformer has a fixed output voltage...".

It is very rare for this type of fixed voltage charger to overcharge from a voltage point of view, not just because it is the fixed voltage claimed above, but because it is a lower voltage charger than most,only 13.8v, when most quality wet batteries will take 14.8v. Even if the voltage does rise slightly it won't harm most batteries.

It is also only a low current output charger, rated at 10A, yet we find they rarely put out more than about 5 amps continuously.

However, having said all that, the description also states, ".... been designed specifically for use within a caravan, motor home or leisure vehicle. Its primary function is to charge and recharge a battery as quickly and efficiently as possible."

Which just goes to prove I know nothing. If you want to " recharge a battery as quickly and efficiently as possible", don't listen to me and buy a 3 stage 14.4v charger with 25+ amps, you want one of these 10amp 13.8v power supplies.

mids - 2016-01-04 10:49 PM

Hi he didn't CHARGE IT he put a new one on as he said the battery was faulty and out of warranty. Said no other faults found to cause it to over charge

But I think you hit the nail on the head with your posting of 18th Feb last year...

mids - 2015-02-18 4:54 PM

Hi still learing about motorhoming .garage has had van and let the lesiure battery discharge fullly will this harm the battery? Charged it up reading 13.5 volts has dropped to 12.5 in 48 hours with nothing turned on is this normal? Been onthe drive since november dont remember the gauge moving in that time .van brand new in September.

Your statement then that after charging the voltage dropped to 12.5 volts in 48 hours did not bode well and that was nearly a year ago. Once a battery has suffered this level of damage it rarely survives!

Your best bet would have been to demand that the garage who flattened it replaced it, but I appreciate that was a long time ago now so unlikely to happen.

All in all it is best put down to experience, try to prevent any battery from being completely discharged!

Keith.

Archived