X290 MPG and Performance

veletron

Hi

My x290 based van has now done 5K miles on a diet of supermarket diesel. I continue to be unimpressed with its MPG. My old x250 was getting 29-31, this is getting 26-28. Its a PVC.

Coupled with the above is a lack of power for climbing hills. My old x250 was 120bhp, this is 130bhp, both fiat 2.3L.

I am beginning to think there is something wrong with it, eg stuck EGR valve, dodgy turbo. No engine management lights ever seen though - i assume this would come on for both of the above faults?

Still under warranty of course, but I like to visit a dealer able to explain stuff with half an idea what I am on about rather than leaving it to them to fault find (as they will simply do nothing).

Any easy way to test the EGR or tell if the turbo is working properly?

Nigel

There is nothing wrong with it. the tales of some people of mpg in the high 30,s and one I read of getting 45mpg are pure rubbish. my van is the 150bhp and why its light can return around 32mpg. if this pushed and with a heavy load can drop to 25mpg. its a van,

Loaded my MH - Auto-trail C Class with 150HP & AMT runs at 11L/100Km that is around 25mpg. If the wind is blowing at my front 11.8L/100Km on average for a days drive. I thought that was pretty good. Around town my co-drivers BMW323i is using 12.2L/100Km.It is a 2007 model with the 2.5L 6 cylinder engine. Based on that comparison I have no complaints with the Tracker's fuel consumption.

Cheers,

At 5k miles you should still have some noticable performance improvement to come. Both my current and previous vans have really started to pick up their heels at around the 15,000 mile mark. Sadly this doesn't seem to improve MPG though as the tendency is to enjoy the extra power and flexibility..

I am getting between 28 and 30 mpg out of my small 5.99 mtr X290 150 bhp coachbuilt it has yet to reach 1000 miles, I never use supermarket diesel they skimp on the additives, as its relatively cheap at the moment I use the premium diesel like Esso Synergy Supreme+.

Nigel,

Of all the vans I've owned I always worked on 20.000 as being a run in mileage. Modern engines will happily take you 200,000 miles, 5,000 is nothing. Take it to Moscow and back then you may feel a difference but its doubtful otherwise.

Will

Morning folks,

My previous X250 120 did around 29 until about 20,000 miles when power seemed to increase and its the same with my x250 at around 20, 000 miles it seems to get a boost plus the economy goes up to around 31 32 if driven reasonably. Motorways are the biggest gas guzzleing routes at high speed.

norm

Having had several low milege vans over the years and taken them on to higher mileage my experience is that generally the perfomance, mainly mid range torque, improves as the miles climb but as it is gradual you may be hard put to notice it unless you have a long gradient that you regularly use and can relate to gear change or speed fall off points.

Economy might improve a bit but again don't hold your breath as most of that will be lost in more effectively using the power gain.

Progress is such that a pre Euro 4 van was more economical than a Euro 4 in real world use, and Euro 4 in turn seems to be more economical (and reliable) than a Euro 5 and on that basis there is no way I am spending my money on a Euro 6 diesel as thankfully my current van is a Euro 4.

I too have tried posh diesel and my impression is that the engine seems to run smoother and the economy does seem to increase by just about enough to justify the extra cost but it is marginal so worst it does no harm and at best with prolonged use it might even do some good. My use of posh diesel has not been prolonged enough to really judge.

Good luck to all those that do want to be an unpaid test bed for Fiat Euro 6 development - and all at your expense not Fiat's because unless you do a lot of miles, as I see it, this particular progress just does not seem to do what it says on the tin!

Hi,

I have an X 290 Elddis Sunseeker 115, poor little thing only has a 110 bhp engine married to a six speed box, we bought it new in May 2015 and was concerned about the possible pulling power or not, a lot of gear changes when we first had it but after 3000 miles that seems to have improved and I am returning around 27 mpg I don't rely on the on board mileage data but use a free android app after each fill up.

just called Mileage.

Best figure was 32 mpg worst (wet week in Cornwall) 26 mpg.

Feels like the engine is getting a little looser already.

Pete

Archived