Fiat Ducato 3.0 lt brake light switch problems

Fonz1947

Hi Walter and welcome to the forum,

When the switches 'failed' was this a diagnosis by computer and then the switch simply replaced without further testing or where the 'failed' switches tested to confirm they had actually failed?

I ask because if the switches where simply changed without further testing then it is highly likely that the switches where not at fault but the true cause was more likely a wiring fault.

Try searching for 'Rusty Junction' and you will find a lot of info on Fiat wiring faults which could well be your problem. And indeed may even have been the fault with your original transmission!

Keith.

Agree, brake light switches are no longer just a switch for the brake light they connect to the ECU which then controls throttle, gear selection etc., under braking.

Try driving any modern car after going through a flood, used to drive with on foot on the brakes other on the throttle to dry the brakes, can't do it these days the instant you touch the brakes engine cuts back to tick over speed.

If it turns out to be faulty wiring and NOT a failed transmission then I am afraid I would be refusing to pay the cost of the new transmission!

Let them try arguing otherwise but if they have failed to correctly diagnose a simple fault why should you be several thousand pounds out of pocket.

I would wait until you have your MH fixed to your satisfaction before rocking the boat but I really think you need to start thinking about how to approach the final bill!!!

Just my thoughts you appreciate.

Keith.

Hi there was no warning just driving along looking forward to our break at Chatsworth it first started jumping out of 5th gear and then a load grinding noise we managed to limp onto the hard shoulder we where close to the local Fiat dealer and managed to limp their .when the dealer checked the oil it had metallic parts and advised to replace the gear box.

Archived