Fiat a general view

Will H

The biggest difference between German vehicles and Italian vehicles seems to be that the German vehicle makers charge you a lot more than the Italians for equally appalling service and attitude.

Sorry sir, must be the way you drive it.

Sorry sir, computer says no faults - that will be £100 please.

Sorry sir, our technician has thoroughly tested your vehicle and can find no faults - that will be £100 please.

Geeco - 2016-01-23 11:42 PM As Rich said If you want reliability then you must have Toyota (they own the country market here) and they are increasingly penetrating the wiz bang market but they build boring!! It is like driving a white good.
Now the real unknown is what does Arthur Dent think?
Thanks Wil for a good post,
Cheers,

I wouldn't get TOO carried away with the invincibility of Toyota Gary without Googling " Toyota Recalls " for a bit of balance. ;-)

PCC - 2016-01-24 10:13 AM

Big problem with rusting roofs on the VW California at the moment! Vorsprung durch technik ..... but not when it comes to understanding electrolytic corrosion.

Peter

Same as when the first Audi TT had a problem with roadholding because styling took precedence over aerodynamics, and even the dealers' staff tell you not to buy an Up automatic because the box is so bad.

malc d - 2016-01-24 11:07 AM

I wouldn't get TOO carried away with the invincibility of Toyota Gary without Googling " Toyota Recalls " for a bit of balance.

It all depends on how you view recalls?

I see them as an honest manufacturer with integrity taking responsibility for it's own design and production failings and putting them right at no cost to their customers.

Unlike so many makers who will move heaven and earth not to have a recall unless the media or Watchdog makes it too uncomfortable for them and the adverse publicity starts to cost more in lost sales than it does in remedies.

Of course I could be wrong?

Geeco - 2016-01-23 11:42 PM

Good one Wil we can always relie on you for activating the chattering class with your "in your face" provocative comments. This thread has certainly generated some interest and that can only be good.

QUOTE]

I just try to be realistic and comment on what I read

Will H - 2016-01-24 3:51 PM

Geeco - 2016-01-23 11:42 PM

Good one Wil we can always relie on you for activating the chattering class with your "in your face" provocative comments. This thread has certainly generated some interest and that can only be good.

QUOTE]

I just try to be realistic and comment on what I read

If you believe what you read in this thread you would be dumping your VW in order to buy a Fiat.You are not being realistic either as the choice of motorhomes on other base vehicles is limited in the extreme.

Many years ago I had a home conversion on a Merc 307D. It was utterly solid and reliable but rusted like hell. I recently bought a PVC downsizing from a coachbuilt. As several members have said the only sensible layouts are on the Sevel, Merc is just too narrow. But with only 600 miles on the clock the Fiat is already much nicer to drive than its Peugeot predecessor. And the reach adjustable steering wheel is a huge help for me dodgy back.

I collect my 6 month old Fiat based motorhome back from the Fiat Professional dealer tomorrow after having a new ignition switch fitted on recall and a new instrument cluster due to spurious warning lights appearing. What next. After various Toyota's over the last 10 years without a problem I wonder what will be next with Fiat. Should I take precautions and fit a new earth cable now and make sure I have plenty of mouse traps in the engine compartment along with a spare wiring loom.

Tracker - 2016-01-24 11:57 AM

malc d - 2016-01-24 11:07 AM

I wouldn't get TOO carried away with the invincibility of Toyota Gary without Googling " Toyota Recalls " for a bit of balance.

It all depends on how you view recalls?

I see them as an honest manufacturer with integrity taking responsibility for it's own design and production failings and putting them right at no cost to their customers.

Unlike so many makers who will move heaven and earth not to have a recall unless the media or Watchdog makes it too uncomfortable for them and the adverse publicity starts to cost more in lost sales than it does in remedies.

Of course I could be wrong?

What was it they paid a record 1.2 BILLION dollar " settlement " for a couple of years ago ?

I always aspired to have a Mercedes car. Eventually spent 40K on a new E Class when they first come out. After 2 weeks it broke down and was in the dealers for 6 months trying to sort out the injectors.

I have owned many makes over the past 35 years and the mere spent more time off the road than all the other cars put together in 35 years.

That is my one and only experience of a Mercedes.

I agree Malc d Toyota have had their far share of recalls. I have never owned one and probably never will as strong & reliable does not necessarily equate to fun to drive/own. If you venture away from the major cities in this country Toyota is king. They also command a large section of the  tug market with the Prado and Landcruisers. I guess that is due to their overall reliability, perceived or actual.

Every week I am asked to download app upgrades for my iPad/iphone surely a major part of these could be considered as the computer equivalent of a recall. Maybe we worry too much about this issue, my ignition switch was not part of the recall fortunately so back on the road come Thursday for six weeks or so.

Cheers,

Archived