hoilday to scotland

mids

Hi just starting to plan a two week trip rhe west coast of Scotland and the highlands . Been looking at the raod map not many a roads in the highlands anyone driven round with a motor home ,ours is only 18" long and 7" wide . Any great sites other than caravan club and caravan and camping club. And must see places to see thanks

I'll leave site recommendations to others who are better at that thing.

As for driving, this is no problem at all with regards to size of your van, but do be aware it's a big area and speeds tend to be relatively low, also depending on where you are setting off from a big chunk of holiday can be spent getting there and back (two days each way for us), so don't expect to cover the whole area unless you want to be permanently sat in the driving seat.

mids - 2016-01-25 9:18 AM

Hi just starting to plan a two week trip rhe west coast of Scotland and the highlands . Been looking at the raod map not many a roads in the highlands anyone driven round with a motor home ,ours is only 18" long and 7" wide . Any great sites other than caravan club and caravan and camping club. And must see places to see thanks

Hi Garry

As Colin says there's no problem driving around the highlands - lots of motorhomers have done it.

Many. if not most, of the roads in the most scenic areas, are single track, with passing places.

Luckily there's not much traffic - and you can usually see people coming in the opposite direction in plenty of time - so you just have to take your time - and don't expect to cover long distances quickly.

" Must see " places are a matter of personal choice ( I like nearly all of it ! )

One site we have been back to several times over the years is Sango Sands at Durness - if the weather is kind there are great beaches and nice walks.

I believe you can still get a ' ferry ' ( used to be a rowing boat ) across the Kyle of Durness to a minibus which will take you to Cape Wrath.

Have a good trip.

;-)

Hi

I live in Stirling and mostly holiday in the highlands - unfortunately a great deal of my visits are weekend trips due to w*rk!!

2 weeks is a good amount of time for a west-coast adventure. What I have written out below would be more than 2 weeks, possibly 3-4, but just pick some bits and miss out others. This is what I would consider to be the ultimate west coast journey (excluding [most] of the islands - which add a whole new dimension!).

Leave M74 at Dumfries, head to coast, drive up towards Ardrossan. Ferry to Arran, drive clockwise, ferry Lochranza (good camp site) to Claonaig. From Tarbert, take B8024 coast road (good camp site Kilberry - Port Ban holiday park). Continue north enjoy views over Paps of Jura, reach Oban. Several decent sites, large town amenities.

From Oban, 2 choices, to Tyndrum and over rannoch mor/through Glencoe or direct to Fort William via connel bridge.

From Ft William (morrisons, cheap fuel, camp sites), head to Mallaig (several campsites at magical Arisaig, spectacular beaches). From Mallaig, get ferry to Skye (Dolphins). Detour to Sligachan campsite (Cuillin views, walks, pub) as desired. Head back towards Broadford (coop).

From Broadford, head over skye bridge (Maxwell museum on bridge) and through the kyle (coop) and take the A890 to Loch Carron (Superb Views down the loch).

From Lochcarron, head towards Torridon, but take the Bealach na Ba to Applecross (steep, but no bother in your van), The only Alpine style road in the UK. Wild camp at the top. Head down into AppleCross (brilliant camp site, superb pub within walking distance), fuel!

Head north (spectactuar views over cuillin, Dun Cann (Rassay), and Rona. Continue to Shieldaig (good pub, community campsite donations). Campsite can be muddy!

Continue to Torridon (visitor centre, spectacular scenery). Continue to Kinlochewe, (CC campsite), then on towards Gairloch (Sands Campsite through the village), good coffee shop, coop). On to Poolewe (pub). If you drive down road past pub then after maybe 5 miles (near midtown) they is a minimal facilities site with superb views and a lovely beach), cycle to road end for to look at the WW lookout post.

From Poolewe, head to Dundonnel (nice views all the way), Take a look at the Corrieshalloch Gorge, then head to Ullapool (campsites, tescos, loads of bookshops, cafes chippy etc). Head north (campsite at ardmair point) until you reach the wee road signposted Rieff/Altandhu/Achnashellach. Head down here (nice hill walks everywhere) Campsite at Altandhu, bar opposite (Port a bhaigh).

If you are by now confident with narrow roads, take the 'mad wee road to Lochinver'. I have done this several times in a 20ft PVC, but beware that it is very narrow at the northern end (can also return to main A road and head north).

Lochinver sells the best pies on the planet, savoury and pudding, buy some and then head to either the Shore campsite or Clachtol beach campsite. From here continue north, go take a look at the Stoer Lighthouse and the old man of Stoer sea stack. Head to Drumbeg - best village stores in the world!

Continue back to main road, and head north towards Durness (Kylesku Bridge). On the way, take a detour - the B801 to Kinlochbervie. Head through the village and on to OldshoreMore. Park here (toilets, tap behind toilets), wild camping was fine when I was there, stick a donation to John Muir trust in the box. Take the track opposite for an out and back walk to Sandwood Bay. There are other parking spots around here too, visit some road ends.

Head back to the main road and on to Durness. Durness has the best hot chocolate on the planet, turn left in the village to the craft village at Balnakeil. Good campsite in Durness (Sango Sands), splendid beach to the East). also boat and bus trips to Cape Wrath (lighthouse, most north westerly point on mainland). From here you are now heading east along the remote north coast. You'll go past Smoo Cave, some magic lochs and onto Tounge (wild camp on causeway). Eventually you will get to Thurso - supermarkets, campsite, fuel). From here, visit most northerly point at Dunnet head, and (if you must), John-O-Groats. You are now heading south, its not as nice as the west coast, you could choose to head down the middle using the A836 (from Tounge -> Altnaharra, Crask, lairg), or just stick to the A9. On your way south, notable places to visit would be Golspie, Dornoch and the Black Isle, Inverness, Aviemore, Pitlochry, Perth, Stirling.

On the above, wild camping is poss just about anywhere.

See the many pics from my photos link below.

Nigel

As regards single track roads in the Scottish Highlands, the passing places are usually well marked. Marking used to be a white diamond or more like a square with opposite corners vertical, now sometimes a white square, or on lesser roads just a black and white striped pole.

Brush up on the highway code in this context. Only enter a passing place if it is on your left. On straight roads do not stop too soon.

Reversing round bands over humps is not that simple, so proceed cautiously, 30mph may seem too fast on some single track roads.

Please do not park in passing places, other vehicles may need to pass each other.

Last September we ventured into Glen Orchy, and Glen Etive (both twisty single track roads). Stressful but good views at head of Glen Etive.

In many locations in the highlands the road verges can be very soft. Do not put a wheel off the road surface unless you know otherwise.

On our very first motorhome outing we did the west coast (no islands) between Fort William and Gailoch and took a good three weeks over it. We stopped at a number of sites already mentioned above others we liked were Big Sands and Red Sands. On our return leg we stopped at Aviemore and Pitlochry, both worth a visit if you like doing touristy things.

When driving on single track road and a queue of vehicles builds up behind you it is expected that you pull in to a passing place on a clesr stretch and let them pass.

Also the local economy depends mainly on tourism so please support them by using the facilities they provide, community campsites, petrol stations, shops etc even though they may be slightly more expensive.

I read of a motorhomer bragging that he had spent 4 weeks in the Highlands and spent less than £10 locally. I don't think that is clever.

veletron - 2016-01-25 2:33 PM

If you are by now confident with narrow roads, take the 'mad wee road to Lochinver'. I have done this several times in a 20ft PVC, but beware that it is very narrow at the northern end (can also return to main A road and head north).

...this is the one bit of road around the coast I wouldn't recommend if you don't know it.

(It is passable but narrow and "blind" in places).

On single track roads you do not wait for a stream of vehicles to build up behind before pulling over to let them past. If one vehicle appears behind you pull over at the first reasonable opportunity. It could be a doctor on call to your heart attack or a member of any of the emergency services on a call. In any case it is just good manners anyway. Local drivers get incensed by inconsiderate visitors who do not give a toss about anyone else of the road.

Robinhood - 2016-01-25 7:02 PM

...this is the one bit of road around the coast I wouldn't recommend if you don't know it.

(It is passable but narrow and "blind" in places).

Indeed - I would not have wanted to meet anyone, and I was heading south (so I did the narrow bits first) on it to Rieff where there is some superb sea cliff rock climbing! If you are cyclists then park at either Lochinver or Altandhu - and do this as an out/back or even a circular route. Have been parked at Altandhu campsite a few times now eating Lochinver pie shop pies fetched via a bike ride!

Other superb bike loops are the Bealach na ba loop (start applecross or shieldaig) go clockwise, bealach na bar (UK's hardest road climb) is your finale. Also the Drumbeg loop, again clockwise, start Clachtol or the shore campsite. Beware that all the hard work comes AFTER Drumbeg!

Echo the comments re spending money in the towns/villages that you travel through - you also get a flavour of the places you visit this way. Applecross fuel station suggests to visitors 'top up a tenner' they know ifs expensive fuel, but visitors using the station helps to keep it viable for all. I would suggest the same with Durness fuel station and a few others too. The natives in Sheildaig deserve our support too - they provide donation based camping - there is a shop and a decent pub (good food) in the village. The pub sells one of my favourite real ales 'an teallach' named after one of my favourite Munros.

Other pubs/resturants of note (in no particular order)

Stathcarron Hotel (good real ales and food, friendly, ask at bar re staying in van on green or behind pub). Note that is the pub on the corner of the A890 before it joins the A896, not to be confused with the Lochcarron hotel nearby.

Applecross inn - gets very busy weekends, best book ahead

Shieldaig Inn - as mentioned above

Fuaran Bar, Altandhu, coigach peninsular (Port a Ban campsite opposite)

Summer Isles Hotel, Achiltibuie, Coigach (wind camping nearby, or cycle from Port a Ban campsite!

Catacol bay hotel (Arran). Much much better food/beer than the Lochranza hotel up the road - wild camping nearby.

Pavillion resturant, Lochranza, Arran (next to camp site) super food, gets busy, pre book weekends

Clachaig Inn, Glencoe - infamous for beer and food, On a sunday, weekday eve, if eating in pub, ask behind bar about wilding in car park

Near Callander in the Trossachs, The Laid Inn, Kilmahog (beer/food), wild camping in car park on left just beyond pub.

Nigel

Missed out the 'bridge over the Atlantic', just south of Oban in my original post. From the road-end at Ellenabeich you can take a trip over to the slate island of Easdale. There is a decent pub in Ellenabeich (Oyster Bar), camping available nearby. Also a pub on Easdale, and another good pub right next to the bridge over the Atlantic 'Tigh-An-Truish'.

bodach - 2016-01-26 9:43 AM

Local drivers get incensed by inconsiderate visitors who do not give a toss about anyone else of the road.

If it's any consolation, those drivers are inconsiderate wherever they go -

so they're not just picking on Scotland.

:-|

we visit Scotland at least once every year mainly because in Scotland you do not need to pre-book any sites. (Black Isle the exception) . This was what we originally bought our van for, to be able to go any where at any time without having to book in advance. This soon came as a shock to us when we found out that certain of our fraternity book all the sites that they just may want to visit at the beginning of each year. This means that all the "best" sites seem to be booked up for the whole year negating the whole idea of owning the van in the first place. Scotland is different, head for John'O Groats, to start. There is a campsite right on the loch and to wake up in the morning to see the local ferry arrive, when the weather is fine, is a great way to start your visit too this glorious country. "A"

Hi again, just a little correction about John'O Groats, the view is as I said but the ferry does not come in to there. I meant Ullapool which also has a site where you can park right on the Loch and watch the ferry arrive. Not usually any one on the gate so just go in and park and some one will arrive to take your' money,usually next day. You may need two electric cables if you park on the loch side as the power stations are across the road. You really need the heavy duty rubber cable safety "trench" as vehicles will be running over your cable. These are available at the reception for a price but the reception may not be open. "A"

Hi have planned our trip to Scotland, realised 3 weeks would be best( Only have 2 spare)

Need two days to get to lock lomand and two days to get home. Dont wont to spend 2 weeks just driving around, wont to walk and cycle. So

1night travelling up

3 nights at lock lommond (LUSS)

3 nights at Onich, travel to fort william for jacobite train and ben nevis

2 nights at Morvich

3 nights at Lock Ness (Foyers)

2 nights at Killin

1 night travelling back

looks like a round trip with plenty to see castles ect with some driving out from sites

Understood OP has by the look of things sorted their itinerary.....just thought I should add this ...food for thought for others looking for Scotland ideas...

We have done the west coast roughly from Loch Lomond to Fort William (then on to Inverness occasionally) across to Arisaig, Inverary around to Oban and we 'follow our noses'.  Once we are somewhere that looks nice it's a quick 'google' to find a site.  However a lot depends on if you are 'club' members (affects the price considerably) and indeed where you like to be/facilities etc you desire.  If it is scenery and a bit remote there's a host to choose from.  If it is close to town I can recommend Roseview Caravan Park at/near to Oban as we tend to go more for the scenery sites than close to town.  If going to Oban I thoroughly recommend the Calmac Three Islands tour....it really is well worth the effort to do it......we stayed at Roseview because of doing the Isles tour.  It's a short taxi ride into/back from Oban.  Scenic sites are Luss, Bunree and a lovely working croft out at Arisaig called Invercambie caravan and camping site but doesn't open until March 15th. 

There is so much beautiful scenery and history up there if you just keep a look out and are prepared to 'explore'.  Glen Coe is a must as is Rannoch Moor for the sheer bleakness.  It really is a beautiful place.  We did a few 'B' roads last time and found ourselves in fabulously beautiful Glens, some lovely out of the way places to refresh...coffee/cake....really really lovely, some amazing waterfalls and a part of the Caledonian canal with a plaque commemorating some royal occasion..possibly a reopening by the Queen IIRC.  

Basically if you are prepared to just go with the wonderlust and aim for somewhere you would 'like' to be then go with the impulse you will find some amazing places.....and a google search will invariably find you a site to pitch up for the night.

Things to see....Commando Memorial, Faslane (good viewpoint from the A817 from Loch Lomond)...Inverary (Castle and waterside...oh and jail)...the Glenfinnan Viaduct just off the A830 Fort William to Mallaig road....cable car up Nevis range near Ft William......etc....etc....food for thought.

Oh and if you do venture along some 'B' roads please do the courteous thing and pull over soonest to allow 'faster' traffic to pass.....they are probably working...you are touring.

Jonboymentalhealth - 2016-02-02 5:37 PM

I too am thinking of doing this late July is there any problems with this re midges etc, will be me other half baby and 2 dogs

YES - unless it is pouring with rain (quite likely in July) the little Culicoides Impunctatus blighters will get in your eyes, hair, nose and everywhere else where they can get a free meal at your expense - and they will come into the van on the dogs like you would not believe!.

DEET based insect repellents help as does Avon Skin So Soft which (used to) work remarkably well but I don't think you can use them on dogs, not sure about babies?

Stay away from the beaches, mountains, moorland, trees, forest and rivers and you should be OK but even towns have hordes of the little blood suckers!

And if there has been a mild winter there will be even more of 'em come summer and that is something one can really get paranoid about!

Archived