Best sealant (not glue)

GraemeM

I know this has come up before in parts various threads, so sorry but I was wondering which sealant is best for coach built/fibreglass body to seal roof "appendages" such as roof rails, chimney, vents etc etc.

Something that remains flexible, does cure to form a skin, lasts well and of course doesn't cost the earth.

Any input appreciated

thebishbus - 2016-02-07 10:00 AM

The one that I use is Ever Build - STIXALL. Black / White or clear.

Brian B.

Brian,

Stixall is a "combined building adhesive and sealant" according to the manufacturers website so is not really what the OP asked for.

He would be better with a Sikaflex product like 512 but again this is a "sealant and adhesive".

In fact Stixall is actually manufactured by Sika!

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/stixall

I would still argue that Hodgson Seamseal CV is a better product for what the OP asked.

"Bedding seams, mouldings, rails, window and door frames and many other types of covered joints in portable buildings, caravans, holiday homes, boats, freight containers and transport vehicles".

Keith.

Almost any sealant that is based on modified polyurethane should be fine. These are a range of sealants from a number of manufacturers that set using atmospheric humidity to form a tough elastic material, basically a synthetic rubber, that has excellent UV resistance, amazing adhesion, and a life expectancy (if used appropriately) of around 25 years. They are adhesive, because they do stick things together, but if a sealant doesn't adhere to both the surfaces it is sealing, it isn't going to provide a seal for very long. Their adhesive qualities kind of go with the territory.

We agree with Keithl on Hodgsons SeamSeal, which is just about the cheapest and, in our view, one of the best as a sealant.

It is not any kind of adhesive, so is easy to remove with White Spirit should some poor Motorhome repairer have to replace a dented panel or revisit the leak at a later date.

Most of the adhesives are a real pain to remove. Dismantling the joint at some future time can be a nightmare with a lot of associated damage.

Re:Sika' 512..

Although it tends to get promoted on forums as the "go to" product, I haven't had 100% success with it..

Having used it very successfully in the past, to bond a upvc moulding onto the roof of a previous van, I wasn't so successful when using it to bond/seal a pair of "plastic" MPK mushroom vents on my Toyota van, as after only a few months they started to leak.

Initially I thought it may've been the differing expansions rates of the two materials being bonded and that it may've been the (sometimes hot?)steel of the roof that it had let go from....

but after stripping them down it was clear that the Sika was still very much bonded to the roof and that it was the bond with the "plastic" of the vent causing the problem.

( after carrying out a trial-bond off the van, even though I had meticulously prep'd, cleaned both surfaces, as per the other times I'd used it, it was clear that once "set", the 512 just did not want to bond to the "plastic" of the vents at all!... :-S)

Possibly a bit worrying, when you consider how much it gets promoted on forums...and gets solely relied upon for such tasks as attaching solar panel brackets etc...

I think it was that Hodgsons CV stuff that I ended up using to seal our vents? (a bit messier to use but it's done the job for the last couple of years) :-D

Archived