Bulkhead trim

Troodles

Guest pelmetman
Pictures always help............but based on what you have said it sounds like the top fabric has become detached from a foam substrate? :-S .............Which would suggest releasing either the top or bottom end and applying upholstery spray glue to reattach the headlining ;-) ........If so its best to let the glue become tacky rather than wet when re fixing the fabric, as there's less chance of a glue bleed as I know to my cost *-)

Guest pelmetman
Troodles - 2016-02-07 3:42 PM

This is my first post and don't know how to include a picture with the post - any idea please? This is the solid 'wall' between the two areas, looks like wood with a plastic wood effect trim.

Ditto my above post, but dont worry about the glue bleeding through ;-) ..........

Its the curse of modern fabrication where plastic printed wood is applied to MDF.........ie wood that was once wood then made to look like wood.......but without the benefits of being real wood *-) .............But they can make it cheap and charge more for it ...........sounds familiar huh?......that's called progress eh :D .......

Hi Troodles,

What MH are you talking about? This may help people visualize your problem.

I assume you are talking about the plastic extrusion type of edging that frames the opening of the wooden bulkhead between cab and habitation area, correct?

If so it sounds like the trim has 'shrunk' and you may have to release one end or the other to allow the trim to reform around the internal curve. You would then have to find some way to hide the shortfall at the end you released. I do not think you will have any success in simply trying to 'stretch' the trim back into place and it will pull out again.

Keith.

PS And welcome to the forum.

Yes that is the place and the problem. Been trying to attach a pic but it isn't happening. I have an 07 plate 5 berth Ace Milano which I understand is like a Swift of the same age. The trim was knocked away by locating a garden chair behind the front passenger seat and not being careful enough when moving it. Hindsight...etc. I would not be too bothered by the appearance of a shortfall if it is near the ground and behind the seat.

...It sounds to me like it may be knock-in edging. This has a ribbed insert (like the leg of a short "T") that knocks into a routered groove in the edge of the plywood, and is supposed to grip by itself without glue.

Unfortunately, the plastic shrinks slightly and the groove often "opens out" with changes of temperature and/or humidity, and the edging can detach.

I have had this on the bulkhead of a couple of 'vans, including the last.

I don't like the idea of glueing where it is not supposed to be required, and have had some success in fixing this by running a length of chunky duct tape along one or both sides of the ribbed insert, effectively widening it and ensuring the knock-in function is restored.

The success or otherwise of this depend on how slack the fit has become.

If it is "failed" knock in edging, I suspect a decent PVA wood glue would probably work well enough to hold in the groove, though it isn't really recommended for sticking plastic, and probably wouldn't resist a good pull.

Guest pelmetman
Troodles - 2016-02-09 8:03 AM

I don't think the trim is the knock-in type, it appears flat on the underside - thanks for the detailed post though.

Pictures dont arf make a difference :D ...........

Looks to me like the easiest way to re fix the trim is some of that mastic glue like "No More Nails, just a thin bead down the centre and hopefully it'll have enough grab to hold it in place, although perhaps a length of 2" x 1" wedge over the top til it sets might be an idea ;-) ....

Maybe a couple of upholstery staples? placed out of eyeline?

We have a swift of similar age to yours. Have found that the moulding behind the dinette seat , comes off so we just push it back, but as you say does not really clip in , but it is not vertical like yours.

Re my suggestion of staple, you can get straight staples, IE like headless nails, that might work

PJay

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I will now have a go at sorting this out and if it is successful I'll post the pics (now I have fathomed out how to do that!). The photos I took were too large to post on here and so I had to attach them to an email addressed to myself, resize them to the minimum possible and then, when I received my own email, save them again into my photo files so that I could attach them to my forum post - what a palaver!! Not too long ago I would have resized them easily in Photoshop but it would have taken far too long to remember the process that I used to use on my old pc. iPads are so handy and portable but do have their limitations (as do I!).

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to my next 'motorhome problem' with much more confidence.??

Archived