Wild camping

spospe

Just a plea for some advice on 'wild camping'

We are off to northern Scotland in early April this year and intend to do the scenic Route 500 around the coast of the highlands. As Scottish law is sometimes different to English, can someone who has done such a trip please let me know the rights and wrongs of stopping overnight in out of the way places?

We intend to use sites for dumping / filling / showers, but want the flexibility of being able to stop at intermediate points as required.

Constructive advice / help please ............... Michael

I watched a video on you tube the other day on wild camping in Scotland, I found it interesting as we will be going early in the season and maybe dont want to stay more than 1 night in some places , we wont be booking up front so probably will be looking to stop somewhere quiet.

I think it is easier in Scotland than England well lets face it anywhere is easier than here.

Hi, as I understand it, wild camping is permitted, but it is always adviseable to ask permission if there is any signs of habitation nearby.

Also not in any place where there is an obvious sign to the countrary.

On single track roads, dont park in passing places.

On the Black Isle, north of Inverness, at the transmitter site at Mounteagle, there is a wide forestry track adjacent, where you might be able to stop, unless forestery workers object.

also there is a carparking area at Rogie Falls, Contin, which might be another possibility.

Ccc site at Dingwall permits dump and refil at a nominal fee.

If you follow the b9176 from Alness across to Bonar Bridge, there are a couple of places where you can park up in the wilds, with sheep for company

Also follow theA9 heading for John o Groats, at Dornoch, camping site on beach.

Head across to Ullapool, and Poolewe, and go on around the coast right around, you will find various campsites, and empty spaces, but dont forget to ensure you have enough fuel..and money, diesel on west coast us pricey...

have a good trip

tony3nwl

I agree, it is probably much easier in Scotland than in England, particularly in the more remote areas with low population density.

It is really a case of using common sense and deciding if a discreet overnight stop would inconvenience anybody, or cause a nuisance.

Pick your spot carefully and if it feels comfortable just go for it. Suggest you don't leave any kit outside and be ready to move off at reasonably short notice if necessary.

Doubt you will encounter any serious problems, especially so early in the season.

Afaik the law as it applies to motorhomes is little different to England, the right to wild camp applies to tents.

There are lots of sites relative to the amount of traffic.

That said with a low population parking up somewhere for the night seems to be generally accepted, but a few places have become hot spots and vans are unwelcome.

For the NC500, your only issue will be choosing which of the 1000's of wild camping spots to use for the night. You'll undoubtedly be finding 'better' spots around the next bend the following morning whereever you choose to stop! On the causeway at Tounge is one of my favourites. South of Durness on the Kyle is another. You'll be spoilt for choice. Spend some dosh in the local shops, and avoid making a mess and the natives will welcome you.

Water behind the toilet at OldShoreMore (beyond Kinlochbervie) wild camp on the CP (donation into box) This also gives you the chance to walk to Sandwood Bay. Also wild camp spot with view just off the start of the Kinlochbervie B road.

Enjoy, its a fantastic route.

Nigel

spospe - 2016-02-16 4:15 PM

Thanks again for al the suggestions and advice, we are going the second week in April and so hope to miss all the midges ;-)

We plan on following the NC500 (anti clockwise) starting sometime in the first week in April for around two weeks - might see you up there in the frozen far North!

spospe - 2016-02-14 7:00 PM

Just a plea for some advice on 'wild camping'

We are off to northern Scotland in early April this year and intend to do the scenic Route 500 around the coast of the highlands. As Scottish law is sometimes different to English, can someone who has done such a trip please let me know the rights and wrongs of stopping overnight in out of the way places?

We intend to use sites for dumping / filling / showers, but want the flexibility of being able to stop at intermediate points as required.

Constructive advice / help please ............... Michael

Possibly one of the easiest countries to wild camp Scotland does not practice draconian restrictive "laws" as England and is more welcoming to motorhome tourists. Often you might spot a large layby devoid of any signage. Don't be put off by that as that's Scotlands way. Here in England you would be met with masses of prohibition notices and threats of unenforceable fines from companies such as Parking Eye.

There are some which are purpose built and designated for Motorhome parking, often with no charge or in some cases an "honesty box" where people can leave money. Once out on the roads around the Highlands traffic is relatively scarce and it's quite easy to find suitable spots to park overnight.

Just leave the area exactly as you found it and you won't go wrong. If unsure about parking up at a particular place, look around for any residents (if any!) and ask.

hallii - 2016-02-15 11:00 AM

the Saltire National Scottish flag is proudly displayed and flown in many places, unlike here in England.

I suggest that a couple of saltires on your van will elicit a good feeling of "belonging" instead of being an outsider.

H

I'm sure you'll be very welcomed up north but putting a Scottish flag on your van would be the quickest way

To offend a Scotsman

Tracker - 2016-02-16 4:39 PM

We plan on following the NC500 (anti clockwise) starting sometime in the first week in April for around two weeks - might see you up there in the frozen far North!

There's always one awkward bugger. :D

BTW on the coast it's remarkably warmer than inland, that's why you will find a garden like Inverewe, which helped Tresco restock after a bad winter.

• 2 months later...

Just back after a very good trip. Two places for wild camping that we used are, Duncansby Head and Dunnet Head, both on car parks that were empty during our visit.

To our surprise fuel was no more expensive than in the Manchester area (we used both Morrisons and Tesco supermarkets in Thurso and Inverness)

No midges to be seen and in spite of his promises, no Tracker to be seen either!

spospe - 2016-04-20 9:34 PM

Just back after a very good trip. Two places for wild camping that we used are, Duncansby Head and Dunnet Head, both on car parks that were empty during our visit.

To our surprise fuel was no more expensive than in the Manchester area (we used both Morrisons and Tesco supermarkets in Thurso and Inverness)

No midges to be seen and in spite of his promises, no Tracker to be seen either!

Two lovely locations that can be very interesting if the wind picks up.

I know of several m/h owners who had to leave Duncansby head and seek shelter at John o' groats in the middle of the night.

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe near Wick is another nice location we have used. Nice secluded inlet beside the ruins where visitors have built rock towers.

Archived