France in June

lynneroy

Thank you Dave,

but I hate flying and hotels, I have to visit Cyprus frequently and I just want to chill out in the motorhome and be free to go where ever we feel like on the day. So we are going to stay in Brittany if the weather is lovely, and if not we will follow all the great suggestions we have had on here. Hope you are lucky with weather when you go, I don't want to sunbathe all day, I just want to be warm and dry and be able to get outdoors as much as possible.

Lynne :-)

lynneroy - 2016-02-20 3:05 PM

Thank you Dave,

but I hate flying and hotels, I have to visit Cyprus frequently and I just want to chill out in the motorhome and be free to go where ever we feel like on the day. So we are going to stay in Brittany if the weather is lovely, and if not we will follow all the great suggestions we have had on here. Hope you are lucky with weather when you go, I don't want to sunbathe all day, I just want to be warm and dry and be able to get outdoors as much as possible.

That sounds like the basis of a Motorhomers prayer.

Amen to all that.

We were in Brittany for the last two weeks in June last year and the weather was fabulous. We went via Roscoff and toured round the Pink Granite Coast area - fantastic area with superb scenery. We are going back to Brittany again this year at the end of June (avoiding the French school hols) aiming for the Crozon Penisular this time. Can't guarantee that we will get lots of sun again but it would be really bad luck if it rained for two weeks. I could not be bothered using up valuable days travelling hundreds of miles south just for a bit of sun, especially if I only had 8 days, but then again I don't really like lying around and I get uncomfortable if it gets much past 70.

We always go over in June but from our experience we avoid the west, particularly the coast where, in our experience, it has been very cold, despite sun, and sometimes very wet. BBQing with overcoats on is not that pleasant even though the company may be good and a general good time is had! We met friends on Ile de Re one year and it was bitter, unfortunately our friends were booked for two weeks and it didn't improve, we on the other had moved on after two nights and after around 50km west you could feel the air getting warmer and warmer.

We never book anywhere or decide where we are heading until we get over and head for our first overnight stop, usually Arras as that allows us to decide to go east or west of Paris according to weather forecasts.

Normally in June we tend to go east of Paris and then, after a weather check to confirm the better eastern weather, towards Clermont Ferrand to pick up the free motorway A75 heading towards Millau, this makes the west side of the Mediterranean easily accessible if required. Otherwise we head towards Lyon and the Rhone valley on the pay motorways taking in Troyes, Langres, Dijon, Beaune and Tournon sur Rhone.

Each to their own but I would suggest watching the weather forecasts and go where ever the best weather is, it may not be a beach and sea holiday but some of the lakes and rivers are just as good if not better.

Basil

lynneroy - 2016-02-20 3:05 PM

Thank you Dave,

I agree with your opinions re flying as we have done it for far too many years to places we never ever want to see again, all in the name of work. We are still trying to figure out how to use all the air miles we collected and even just gave most of them to the kids. However, as mentioned we tend to go to Spain a lot and I admit it is a fairly long drive, 3-4 days each way as it is nearly 1600 miles from the Channel. So, to maximise the stay and avoid the horrendous heat in high summer, we leave the outfit there and fly home for a few weeks. It is quite pleasant to leave the site in Spain at 11 am in 40 degrees and by teatime be at home In Scotland looking at dare I say 13 degrees and rain. Plus at £150 for 2 of us, it does beat travel and ferries. The return back is even better, leave miserable Scotland at breakfast time and be in the van with a glass of cold Rioja at 3 pm. The downside is we cannot bring any wiine vback so make the long trip in Autumn with a full boot.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourselves

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-19 10:07 AM

I’m pretty sure that the charges for the aire de camping-car at Ouistreham apply year-round (though it may well be that - out of season - nobody bothers to check if people have paid!)

Apparently for 2016 the charge is 10€ per night

http://www.calvados-tourisme.com/diffusio/fr/dormir/aires-camping-cars/ouistreham/aire-de-camping-car-ouistreham-normandie-calvados_TFOHPANOR014FS0008H.php

Derek,

When we stayed at Ouistreham at the beginning of this month the payment ticket machines were turned off as was the water. We could not have paid. We love the French aires and would never abuse the system by staying on one without paying, 10 euros a night is such good value.

Archived