TV Bracket.

steve101

Morning. Well it is a typical Sunday in our house, it consists of the wife carrying out dog maintenance while I ponder and look aimlessly at the camper how I am going to do something.

I need to reach out and ask for some help / opinions please.

I have a TV bracket like this one below.

The place in my van to mount it is above the dinette seats on the bathroom wall. I am concerned about the aesthetics from the bathroom side and also the strength of it with the bracket extended out with the Avtex TV mounted on it.

I have horrible visions on it breaking a new cocktail serving hatch into the washroom! ;)

Please can you share your photos of how (if you have) you have reinforced your bracket on the other side of the wall be it bathroom or wardrobe.

Also what fixing have you used.

1295637734_tvbracket.jpg.99ddb3c1e3d6a2b19fe5ea33f80d7b8a.jpg

Guest pelmetman

I have a similar bracket that I mounted on a upholstered panel, which meant I was able to spread the fixings and the weight to a larger area ;-) ...........

DSCN2155web2.jpg.9ec6e935bcdc8bb951199809db4274fb.jpg

We Have the same.

But we did previously have a bracket that fitted under the cupboard, and pulled out.And the TV folded under the cupboard, out of the way This was reinforced on the cupboard floor. i think we bought it from B&Q. Still have it, but not now used, as we changed the TV

PJay

We had a similar bracket as the OP and secured it at the back using oversize washers to spread the load.

However, we used to detach the TV when travelling. You can purchase a clip-on back plate if you wish to do that.

Motorhome walls are not robust enough to take screws from one side to fasten a fitting of this sort, so it needs bolts through the wall, ideal with a spreader plate or at least penny washers - which presents the aesthetic problem in your bathroom which you were concerned about.

You could use stainless dome-headed bolts and stainless penny washers from the bathroom side, which wouldn't look too bad.  Alternatively contrive some sort of cosmetic treatment on the bathroom side, for example by using countersunk bolts and then putting something pretty over them.

Cut the bolts to length and use dome nuts on the bracket side to achieve a neat finish if necessary, although the TV will probably cover the bracket from view anyway.

I have recently fitted another bracket in our Auto Cruise Pace using a quick release bracket on the arm bracket to enable me to slide it off quickly. The mounting bracket 6 inches long is attached to the underneath part of the overhead locker by drilling two holes. A further hole was made for the co-axial cable and using the 12 volt adaptor can now watch TV in bed as it located at the foot end of the bed at what ever angle/height we want. I also bought 2 Quick release fitments that are attached to the TV. These are made of plastic strong! We can now watch TV in the Dining area or in bed by sliding the TV from one bracket arm to another location. The TV is a 16 Cello slim and very light. The quick release plastic fits onto the back of the TV and the other half sits on either of the 2 extending arm brackets permanently. You will require 2 sets of the plastic mounts to do this.

Thanks all. I too am thinking of a spreader pate on the rear of some sort. I just won work out how and what oh and whether my fussy eye wil tolerate the look of it.

I am sure there are plenty of options. It just comes down to how big a plate to put on there. And the best disguise.

Steve,

I find it easier to post pics on here than on the Globecar forum (which is saying something), so, to back up my post on there here are pics of the front and back.

The dealer used pronged T-nuts to install on the reverse (shower) side of the wall. They are smaller than the picture gives the impression of, and since I have the "vario" shower, they are in an area which is never on-view (I had to pull the shower door out further than I ever would normally to get the picture).

The T-nuts are bolted into from the front with the appropriate length bolts.

The result is rock-solid (Though I never travel with the TV in situ, I would be more worried about the bracket than the mount).

The bracket is a two-arm, Vision Plus drop in, and the TV a 16" Avtex.

TV1.jpg.de48571c995a32b36c7f7c3a9f379b2d.jpg

TV2.jpg.4dadf297de0c824c60b2d964e6257e96.jpg

Thanks Robinhood. Those are good photos and give me some food for thought.

Looking at your bracket it is very close fitting to the wall, where as the one I have extends some way out and therefore increasing the pressure on the top fixing.

I am now considering using a 9mm hole with an Ali plate and inserting rivnuts to pack to hole out while using a 6 mm bolt. Just whipped this up, what are your thoughts?

If people think this is OK then I have some matt grey rattle cans lying around to spray them up and I would silicone seal them also so no water ingress to the wall...

25133247163_97be6c80b5_m.jpg.6d364fabed172b03d9b28a5c32131333.jpg

25733773756_bb44950a53_m.jpg.fc85b4e24d7d8309e713aeaf80b76747.jpg

steve101 - 2016-03-13 5:20 PM

Thanks Robinhood. Those are good photos and give me some food for thought.

Looking at your bracket it is very close fitting to the wall, where as the one I have extends some way out and therefore increasing the pressure on the top fixing.

...not really - that is simply the slot-on mount for the detachable bracket, which looks like the picture below.

I have a quick-release at the TV end of the bracket, so the bracket is permanently on the mount (I simply removed it to show the bolts in the picture). The TV, however, travels in a case.

No problems at all with any leverage.

tv3.jpg.34180497ff478c18f7ea40c200d004c1.jpg

tv4.jpg.152ef48a70095db9f8b17f39ba7ad18b.jpg

The plan is to do this job on the weekend now as the evening are not light enough for me to faff around.

With regards to drilling the holes, how well does the wall allow drilling.

What I mean by this is does the wood split / chunks of veneer break off etc either on the entry or exit point?

Any top tips welcome!

....yes - it rips the veneer on the reverse side (though less of a problem the smaller the hole).

As above, use a piece of sacrificial wood tightly clamped or held against the reverse side.

Alternatively, use a very small pilot drill all the way through, then shallow drill out to the appropriate diameter from both sides to meet in the middle.

steve101 - 2016-03-17 8:05 PM

I can see a comedy act coming on now. One holding the block of wood on the back in one place and the drill coming through next to it. Lol

Bit like the Chandelier and Bolt in 'Only Fools and Horses'. Still makes me laugh,when I think about it.

(Snap,Roger, you posted first !!!!)

back to the TV bracket, I fitted a similar TV bracket to the OP, with a quick release bracket on the end.

Luckily mine was fitted onto a wardrobe wall, so I was able to put a piece of hardwood on the inside of the Wardrobe, where it couldn't be seen. Rawlplugs won't do the job because the wallboard isn't stong enough to take the weight, even if the TV is removed for travelling, SO, I agree, either reinforcement has to be Glued into the Wall (TV side, and perhaps hidden behind a Panel, Autotrail fit one in the Bedroom of the Savannah, where they have done just that, on a bathroom wall). OR do as Robin suggests and find some decorative fittings for inside the bathroom (don't know if I could live with that though !) and bolt through. Let us know what you choose, and how you get on.

Rayjsj - 2016-03-17 8:44 PM

OR do as Robin suggests and find some decorative fittings for inside the bathroom (don't know if I could live with that though !) and bolt through.

...they aren't decorative fittings, they're prong nuts specifically designed to hold furniture boards together by bolting through, and they provide a flange and prongs to stop any "pull-through".

They don't need to be decorative, as the shower-screen (seen in the picture from the other side) always obscures them, even when the shower door is revolved to it's normal showering position.

The door needs to be slid beyond its natural end-position to expose them as in the photograph, and, as they are behind the door, they aren't in a "wet" area.

Archived