Filling L.P.G.at Morrisons

johnfromnorfolk

snail - 2016-04-20 12:36 PM

What I would like is a listing for Flogas depots

Snail

There's a Flogas autogas stockist search on the Flogas website plus an app to do the same thing on iPhone or Android devices. Doesn't this do what you need?

StuartO - 2016-04-20 12:09 PMCountrywide Farmers (who will allow you to refill your refillable bottles at their Autogas pumps) publish a list of their outlets together with a well written set of safety guidelines for using Autogas pumps which you can download here:

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/pdf/energy/Autogas-sites-map-march-15.pdf

It might be interesting to confirm Countrywide’s policy on refilling Gaslow-type canisters at their Autogas refuelling outlets. At a Countrywide autogas refuelling outlet (some years ago) there was a fire involving a motorhome refilling gas bottles that fueled the vehicle’s ‘domestic’ appliances. A letter forbidding this practice was sent to all Countrywide clients and this notifiication included a photo of the vehicle - an older-model Hymer A-class - showing the damage. Although details of the cause of the fire were not provided, the photo strongly suggested that the Hymer’s fridge had been left operating on gas while the motorhome’s gas system was being refilled.The Countrywide installation local to me has a ‘generic’ sign prohibiting gas-bottle refilling. The sign does not discriminate between Calor-type or Gaslow-type bottles.This is another earlier Morrisons discussion:http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/morrisons-blanket-ban-on-refilling-all-lpg-tanks-and-bottles.112393/

Here we go again, the latest panic over filling bottles. What is the matter with you people, I have been filling them all over the UK and euro land for years with no problem's at all, their are hundreds of places who will happily ignore you. Most French stations have the gas away from the main pumps and have never had anyone take the slightest interest. Morrisons has been known about for some years so just avoid them, not to hard, why bother to look around for special places to fill, there are loads of them all over the place. My filler is inside my locker but no problems, if you are that bothered fit an external filler, how would anyone know you are not filling the engine, what a load of nonsense.

rupert123 - 2016-04-20 1:56 PM

Here we go again, the latest panic over filling bottles. What is the matter with you people, I have been filling them all over the UK and euro land for years with no problem's at all, their are hundreds of places who will happily ignore you. Most French stations have the gas away from the main pumps and have never had anyone take the slightest interest. Morrisons has been known about for some years so just avoid them, not to hard, why bother to look around for special places to fill, there are loads of them all over the place. My filler is inside my locker but no problems, if you are that bothered fit an external filler, how would anyone know you are not filling the engine, what a load of nonsense.

No ambiguity there Stalwart.

I started this thread because I am about to have a Gaslow system fitted and happened upon the notice at Morrisons on the L.P.G. pump.

You have reassured me about the availability of/and filling L.P.G.

I am purchasing a single L.P.G. cylinder and taking my Calor or Le Cube while traveling in central Europe as most of my motorhoming is in France/ Spain etc.

Depending on availability of L.P.G. I may at some time in the future purchase another cylinder

Thank you Stalwart I was not aware of the app, just have the lpg outlets on my TomTom someone did for me, I will investigate

My opening an account with countrywide farmers was a direct result of having the gaslow installed, gaslow supplied the information and joining forms to open the account, there are signs up as said to advise not to refill cylinders, I just assumed this was intended for non refillable type

Maybe because it's an automated key holder system I have never been approached by a member of staff to challenge me? Some pumps are in fact outside the gates so you can access them 24hours?

Snail

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-04-19 8:46 AM

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-04-18 4:33 PM

I noticed today that my local Morrisons have a blanket ban on filling L.P.G. in Motorhomes..

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Has anyone encountered problems filling abroad. i.e. France,Spain etc.

nope, just spent the winter there

jonathan

Thebroons - 2016-04-20 8:29 PMFilled up at Morrisons several time with the last one being last week without any issues.

I suppose if they have an autogas pump and you just drive in with a MH and use it, there's always the possibility that the person in the kiosk doesn't know about the HQ edict.  Always worth a try if you are passing I suppose.

As it was initially reported in mid-2014 that Morrisons were refusing to allow leisure-vehicle ‘domestic’ gas systems to be refilled at Morrisons autogas pumps, it’s a fair bet that the accident described in these May 2014 newspaper reports was the reason for the ban.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-morrisons-petrol-station-fire-7154094

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-morrisons-camper-van-lpg-7154852

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-couple-blasted-petrol-station-7160910

The photo on the 3rd link above suggests that a Gaslow bottle was being refilled and that the standard of the installation left much to be desired.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-04-21 1:45 PM......The photo on the 3rd link suggests that a Gaslow bottle was being refilled and that the standard of the installation left much to be desired.

Indeed yes, it does look like a Heath Robinson lash-up arrangement of some sort doesn't it?  What makes you think it was Gaslow kit, the skin filler fitting? Presumably there was a major leak inside the gas locker (from a bad connection or a split hose?) and the gas came cascading out as the owner opened the locker door.  Perhaps he had a fag in his mouth at the time too!

StuartO - 2016-04-21 4:14 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2016-04-21 1:45 PM......The photo on the 3rd link suggests that a Gaslow bottle was being refilled and that the standard of the installation left much to be desired.

Indeed yes, it does look like a Heath Robinson lash-up arrangement of some sort doesn't it?  What makes you think it was Gaslow kit, the skin filler fitting? Presumably there was a major leak inside the gas locker (from a bad connection or a split hose?) and the gas came cascading out as the owner opened the locker door.  Perhaps he had a fag in his mouth at the time too!

Gaslow because of the colour of the bottle...however it does look a bit 'Heath Robinson' compared to our Gaslow installation.

StuartO - 2016-04-19 8:00 AM..................And BP have withdrawn LPG sales from its forecourts altogether in UK, perhaps also for "more trouble than worth" reasons.  The tide seems to be ebbing away from the widespread provision of LPG refilling facilities.  I think it's a worrying development.

This information is incorrect, I filled up yesterday on a local BP site that was newly opened approximately three months back.I mentioned this comment and the reply was that they were only closing pumps that were not used on a regular basis or supplying sufficient quantity to make the upkeep viable.Also our local Waitrose has a LPG pump, this was a forecourt that was recently refurbished, so it may be worth checking out your local Waitrose stores.Bas

747 - 2016-04-19 7:02 PM

witzend - 2016-04-18 8:28 PM

I've seen several people trying to fill motorhomes with LPG who didn't seem very competent and most attendants aren't allowed to leave their station to assist or inspect installations. I've a feeling that this has contributed to getting motor homes banned from LPG pumps

On another motorhome forum you are proud to admit that you fill your non-refillable bottles with your cheap ebay bottle filler. You even take the mickey out of other members who do not agree (the ones who have bought refillable systems).

It is more likely to be people like yourself who are getting the rest of us banned. On that thread you were told that a Gaslow/Gasit system has an 80% cutoff and a Calor bottle does not. This was your reply.

"Yes but why should one be a problem when filling and not the other the spillage can only come from the hose connection where it connects to the bottle and thats the same on both bottles most fittings where ever they come from are made to a standard. If gas escapes during filling it's more likely to be operater error".

Operator error seems uppermost on your mind, not the fact that you are refilling non-refillable bottles on a forecourt.

Yes I refill my 47 kg bottles quite often and have been doing so for the last 30+ years my business and home use's LPG from these bottles.

Have you seen a "cheap" filler on ebay I can't find one, Much better to buy 3 fittings and screw them together at around £8

Unfortunately due to the birth of refillable bottles I have French & Spanish bottles which I use in my motor home as their bottle gas and pump LPG hasn't much price difference and I'd not want to compromise a forecourt operator.

But surely you can see Morrisons position when you see some of the installations as in the other threads

witzend - 2016-04-24 5:53 PM ..... Yes I refill my 47 kg bottles quite often and have been doing so for the last 30+ years my business and home use's LPG from these bottles.......Unfortunately due to the birth of refillable bottles I have French & Spanish bottles which I use in my motor home as their bottle gas and pump LPG hasn't much price difference and I'd not want to compromise a forecourt operator.But surely you can see Morrisons position when you see some of the installations as in the other threads

So you have been refilling large rental bottles for 30 years.  Where have you been doing this - not on a garage forecourt surely?  How do you avoid over-filling them?  And are they the same bottles you have been keeping in circulation I wonder?  (Gas bottles are required to have hydraulic pressure testing every ten years for safety reasons.)

Yet you say you use exchange rental bottles in France and Spain, because you wouldn't want to compromise a forecourt operator?  And you sympathise with Morrisons because you see other people turning up with poor gas installations, thereby causing risk on forecourts?

Maybe you are knowledgeable and extra careful in what you do to refill your non-refillable giant bottles but it does rather sound like you are dancing with danger and applying dual standards to me.

Archived