Truma E2400 wont ignite

Ketvrin

• 4 months later...

So after a summer of ignoring this fault as we didnt need heating, I returned to it and decided to ask Tynedale Motorhomes to diagnose the problem... They promisd an hour max to diagnose, so I booked the old girl in... They had her in their new workshop for almost two hours but could not determine the problem saying it might be the pcb - quote £350 or it might be the igniter - quote £75 plus four hours labour!!!!

Very dissatisfied with this ( I felt like they had borrowed my watch to tell me the time!) I eventually paid for half an hours labour and left no wiser.

I contacted Truma Customer Service who offered to Test the PCB ( but were unable to offer repairs) I sent it off and they reported back in a couple of days that it was fine so they suspected the igniter. They returned the pcb quickly and all without charge ( Great service and Support)

I ordered a new Igniter on line and it cost me £60 delivered and it arrived in just a few days.

The heater unit on my van was boxed in with a floor vent but was very easily removed with just three screws for the feet, one gas connection and two 12v connections.

The case was split on the bench with just a half dozen screws to reveal the igniter which had two screws and just four connections,

Reassembly and refitting took less than an hour and the heater fired up fine... Problem solved.

So instead of relying on the "professionals" and shelling out up to £700 ( more than the cost of a new heater!!!) it cost me just £60 ( excluding the £30 I wasted at Tynedale Motorhomes) and less than a couple of hours of my own time and I had the satisfaction of doing the job myself.

I hope his helps or inspires someone to have a go if they suffer a similar problem, it really isnt hard and is very satisfying

K ;-)

• 4 years later...

Hi Ketvrin, wondering if you're still around and using this forum - and might be able to offer us a little bit of advice!

We have the same model... and a similar problem! We suspect though that it might just be muck in there - it initially lights (you can hear the ignitor and then the satisfying 'whoosh' sound when it lights, but then it goes out, the ignitor clicks repeatedly and then it goes into fail mode. If we take the cowl cover off, we do get slightly more effort, which makes me suspect it's clogged up with dog hair or something.

We have tried taking the unit out - but from what we could see, it looked like a sealed metal unit inside the casing? Wondered if you could offer any advice regarding taking that bit apart or being able to get in to clean it? We're willing to give it another go, I currently have it booked in (as it's under warranty) but it'll be two four hour round trips, so if we can fix it ourselves it would be highly preferable!

Any advice you can give about how easy / tricky it is to open the thing up, would be very much appreciated!

Rowena

Hello Rowena, and welcome to the forum. The last time Kevin Bell logged in was 11/2/19, so it seems relatively unlikely you will get a quick response. It will help if you can give more details of your van (make, model, and its age) as you may then get responses from people with a similar vehicle and heater, and even similar experiences with the heater.

I'm a little puzzled by exactly what heater you have, for two reasons. You say your van is still under warranty, which suggests only a year or two old, but you also refer (by implication) to the heater as a Truma E2400. According to Truma's website, this model has been withdrawn, and replaced by their VarioHeat series. It would therefore appear that your heater may have been one of the last of the series produced. I doubt this would affect availability of spares or service, but it prompts me to wonder if there may possibly be a mistake over the heater model?

However, whatever the answer to that, I think it will be unwise to attempt further DIY repair as, should this leave evidence that you have intervened with the heater, it will be liable to cause problems with the warranty.

What you describe suggests that there may be a fault with the gas regulator, or possibly with the thermocouple that maintains the gas burner valve open once the heater has fired. Two questions, therefore. First, do other gas appliances in your van operate satisfactorily? Second, has the heater operated satisfactorily in the past?

Hello Brian, thank you so much for your very speedy and helpful response. I did think it something of a long shot on Kevin :)

Let me solve the puzzle. I own a Peugeot Boxer which is nearly 13 years old, which I purchased around 2.5 years ago now. When I bought it, I purchased extended warranty from the dealer, which - according to the paperwork, covers all my interior appliances. I'm aware that the heater is no longer produced by Truma (I have been told that spares aren't available but I have found good supplies on the internet).

Therefore, the heater itself isn't under warranty, but my dealership 'should' (hopefully) repair it. It's just a bit of a mammoth trek to get there (which would likely cost me more than new parts!). It was them who reiterated that it's commonly fluff which can cause airflow issues.

That's a very interesting suggestion - we recently had the van converted to refillable gas (Gaslow LPG), which did mean changing the (old) pipes to the regulator (replacing with steel), but it did coincide with shortly before the heater stopped working. I've read up that old pipes can cause build up in the regulator and I wondered if the changeover had disturbed something. All the other gas appliances (fridge, water heater and hob) do all seem perfectly happy though and it did work for a good number of hours post the change.

Previous to this the heater was working very well, although if I'm honest we hadn't really used it in anger. One of the reasons for improving the gas system was to make us less reliant on power when it's cold as we typically erred on hookup when we might need a heater. The day it stopped working it was fine for around an hour, I then turned the temperature down a little as we were getting warm and it cut out, never to stay lit satisfactorily again!

Really appreciate your help Brian, thank you so much (and for making me feel very welcome in the forum) I'll check around and see if there is anywhere I'm able to help other folks out in return.

Thank you!

Boo!

Yes it was a long shot and I don't frequent these forums these days but your pm alerted me and I have replied before reading Brian's response so have suggested similar to him.

I do still think it is worth contacting Truma as they were really helpful in my case.

Good luck, I hope you get sorted.

K ;)

I agree with Kevin - contact Truma(UK) for advice.

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/service/customer-service

Leisureshopdirect adverise some spares for the E2400 heater

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/trumatic-e2400-lp-gas-heater-spare-parts

but (as Kevin discovered) fault diagnosis may prove difficult.

Suggest you check carefully the terms and conditions of the extended warranty as - with the Truma heater out of production - it might be acceptable to the insurer to allow replacement with a new different heater than attempt a repair that might prove unsatisfactory.

Hi guys - I just want to say a big thanks for the suggestions and help. Kevin, you gave us the confidence to take it apart and investigate further (along with the trusty manual!), and it turns out the exhaust pipe had corroded, and therefore it wasn't getting enough airflow out through the exhaust, and (nice and sensibly) cutting out.

We've a few parts to replace, but with enough airflow heater itself has now fired back up quite happily!

That's saved us about 8 hours of driving and god knows how much in fuel, for the price of a new exhaust pipe.

Thank you all :)

Rowena

• 1 year later...

Hi there. Just bought an 18 year old van with Trumatic E 2400. Battery charged, fuses ok. Green light on controls and fans working but no sound of a spark trying to ignite. Fridge and hob fine. It's a new gas bottle and regulator. No smell of gas. 

I've read about regulator issues so guess we could change but does the lack of spark sound suggest no gas getting through or failed spark ingniter?

Thank you 

Thank you. Yes I have that manual but checked those things.  Its the complete absence of the ignition spark that baffles me.  Technically still under dealer 3 month warranty and in fairness supposedly sold with a full habitation check so I will return it.

Have you checked for individual gas valves for the heater, fridge, etc? They may be in a locker or under a seat. The fact you say the green light comes on implies the unit has power.

And I don't think it will be your regulator as you say the gas hob works, maybe try lighting all the burners at the same time and see what happens.

Gary

There is some on-line discussion about E2400 problems. In this 2018 MHFacts forum thread 

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/trumatic-e2400-heater-not-working.228817/

the first posting says

...when you switch the heater on at the rotary dial it flashes a red light which then goes off and a solid green light comes on, you can then hear the heater going through a cycle and the igniter start after about 12 second it cuts off and a solid red light is shown...

It's significant that the heater could be heard going through its start-up cycle and the igniter 'firing' - as your heater makes no igniter noise, the ignition system must be the prime suspect.

Certain spares are still available

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/trumatic-e2400-lp-gas-heater-spare-parts

Archived