DVLA tax renewal

paulmold

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2016-04-26 2:43 PM

At the start of each year I make a note on our kitchen wall calendar when each vehicle is due tax, mot, insurance, service, along with every other notable event due and planned, so it don't get forgot.

Rocket science it ain't and it's worked for me for 50 years.

Simples eh?

My wife does that for me man. I also set a reminder on the iPad so that even if we are away I don't forget.

colin - 2016-04-27 8:34 AM

Fellbound - 2016-04-27 7:22 AM

In theory you can check when it's due online. This works fine for my car but I can never find my MH on their system. You have to put the make in and I never can find it - is it Elddis, Peugeot, Marquis etc? I reckon writing it in tne kitchen diary is indeed the best option!

It should be the make as in the log book, in my case this is listed as Fiat.

Thanks. Tried that and it still didn't show. I'll have another go.....

Fellbound - 2016-04-27 7:52 PM

colin - 2016-04-27 8:34 AM

Fellbound - 2016-04-27 7:22 AM

In theory you can check when it's due online. This works fine for my car but I can never find my MH on their system. You have to put the make in and I never can find it - is it Elddis, Peugeot, Marquis etc? I reckon writing it in tne kitchen diary is indeed the best option!

It should be the make as in the log book, in my case this is listed as Fiat.

Thanks. Tried that and it still didn't show. I'll have another go.....

You where choosing a make from the dropdown menu and not typing it in manually?

Hi Paul,

The reminders are printed early, and handed to Royal Mail early, giving RM the option to deliver them when convenient. In return RM charge DVLA less ... it's called Rebated Mail. I have never heard of the "three week" bit, but I suppose it's possible. The cost of reminding you will be included in what you pay for VED ... I can't see them doing it for nothing.

DVLA have done what is required of them, so how can it be their fault? What are their options ....

The could claim Data Protection, and refuse to tell you who was at fault. :-D

The could send you a Recorded Delivery reminder, so you can tax your car for 12 months. Obviously there would be a fee, but it should be less than the charge for paying monthly.

Officialdom seems to assume that we all have a PA to take care of things like this, same as the Sec of State has. If I had a PA, he would be called Baldrick.

Now, can somebody remind me where I left my coat?

Hi,

I have heard that, in Days of Yore, you had to take the old tax disc into the post Office (or wherever) to get a new one. On returning to your car you would find you had been done for not displaying.

A neighbour was done (twice) for not displaying when his car was in a council car park. That may have been a by-law infringement, as VERA says that only the Sec of State, or a police officer can prosecute for VED offences. But maybe that refers to Using an Unlicenced Vehicle, not Failing to Display. I must look it up. Academic now, anyway. There was something on Google about council car-park officials being told there were no more tax discs.

Tracker - 2016-04-26 2:43 PM

At the start of each year I make a note on our kitchen wall calendar when each vehicle is due tax, mot, insurance, service, along with every other notable event due and planned, so it don't get forgot.

Rocket science it ain't and it's worked for me for 50 years.

Simples eh?

I have gone to the next step in that I have all such dates on the computer,,,although you do have to remember to look in the correct file for it, and written on the calendar is often easier...though I seem to have so many 'reminder' dates that I do find the computer easier.

My tax was/is due on 30th April, and I received the renewal notice a couple of weeks ago, though delayed until yesterday to make the payment, It's now very easy using the website. This year's cost was £235, but looking at the monthly DD figure there was a considerable surcharge for using that. I fail to see why they cannot simply follow the TV licence system and make 1/12th of the annual payment each month!

<<< but looking at the monthly DD figure there was a considerable surcharge for using that. >>>

Hi Keith,

Because they can?

DVLA had to pay the PO for issuing tax discs. I THINK in the 1970s, it was about £0.75. If you taxed your car for 6 months, DVLA had to pay the PO twice each year. They also didn't get your money in advance

Question ... why do/did they charge £2 for a credit card payment, when I guess it would cost more to pay the PO?

Nowadays, it takes a couple of micro seconds to tax a car, whether for one month or one year, but you get a 10% penalty (per year) for doing it monthly. But hey, why change a winning formula?

I'm with Paul and Ray. The DVLA changed the system with zero concern for the customer. Getting used to losing something that has been relied upon for many years takes me time. The DVLA, probably at the behest of the Government, has successfully transferred the cost and risk of not paying to the tax payer and benefits from all the extra fines they will levy.

I'm disorganised so over compensate. My computer operating system comes with a calendar and task list which provide advanced notification of things I need to do. In addition, there is Wunderlist which is a free and effective task management software. Computer based systems can also be backed up so the risk of losing information is reduced. When I used paper diaries and task lists - which I prefer if nobody else needs to view them - I always kept a page at the back to lists things by month for the following year.

Garages have a habit of putting stickers in my van reminding me when the next service is due. I suppose I could put a sticker in reminding me when my tax is due. The DVLA could have sent me one with just the month on it to act as a reminder but that would have showed an understanding customers needs.

• 11 months later...

I have been caught out with forgetting when my tax was due for renewal, as I am guilty of not checking my emails enough! So my other half resolved the issue by getting me a road tax reminder from http://www.roadtaxflipper.co.uk

It's brilliant and just like the good old days. All I have to do is look at my windscreen and I can see when my tax is due for renewal.

Ted123 - 2017-04-05 12:59 PMI have been caught out with forgetting when my tax was due for renewal, as I am guilty of not checking my emails enough! So my other half resolved the issue by getting me a road tax reminder from http://www.roadtaxflipper.co.ukIt's brilliant and just like the good old days. All I have to do is look at my windscreen and I can see when my tax is due for renewal.

It is of course an offence to stick anything on your windscreen, now that tax discs are no longer issued.  You can't win really, can you?

Ted123 - 2017-04-05 12:59 PM

I have been caught out with forgetting when my tax was due for renewal, as I am guilty of not checking my emails enough! So my other half resolved the issue by getting me a road tax reminder from http://www.roadtaxflipper.co.uk

It's brilliant and just like the good old days. All I have to do is look at my windscreen and I can see when my tax is due for renewal.

And you wouldn't happen to be connected to the company in any way would you Ted, seen as you have posted this 'advert' twice on different areas of the forum?

Just my cynical mind, and apologies if I'm wrong.

Keith.

StuartO - 2017-04-05 1:05 PM
Ted123 - 2017-04-05 12:59 PMI have been caught out with forgetting when my tax was due for renewal, as I am guilty of not checking my emails enough! So my other half resolved the issue by getting me a road tax reminder from http://www.roadtaxflipper.co.ukIt's brilliant and just like the good old days. All I have to do is look at my windscreen and I can see when my tax is due for renewal.

It is of course an offence to stick anything on your windscreen, now that tax discs are no longer issued.  You can't win really, can you?

Not quite as you suggest.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stickers-or-other-items-in-front-and-rear-windscreensSo my old tax disc, emissions sticker, Swiss Vinnette and Austrian Vinnette all stay.edit. Or am I missing something here regarding old tax discs?

It is possible to check a vehicle’s tax ‘status’ on-line

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

It is necessary to enter in the “Vehicle Make” field EXACTLY what is on the "D.1 Make” line of the motorhome’s V5C registration certificate.

The result of the search provides brief details of the vehicle, when tax is next due and (if appropriate) when an MOT test is next due.

It is also possible to check a vehicle’s MOT history on-line

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

We generally make a SORN declaration when we are not using the van - even if only for a month - so know that we will need to re-tax it before use. In fact I taxed it two days ago in preparation for an immediate post Easter trip. When we get back from that trip, if we won't use the van in May we will SORN it again.

That way we only pay for the tax in months that we use the van, not when it is sitting in our back garden.

Dave

Keith T - 2017-04-06 9:18 AM

how about putting in the Reg No ??

Keith T

Not sure what you mean...

As it says on the initial webpage, to use the ‘tax check’ application

"Before you start

You’ll need the:

- the make of the vehicle

- number plate (registration number) of the vehicle"

The Registration Number is the Registration Number - why should there be any ambiguity?

The application is a tad fussy about entering ‘blanks’ and will return a "You must enter your registration number in a valid format” error message if you are careless (eg. entering a blank before the 1st character of the Registration Number, or putting two blanks within the Registration Number character group) but most people will be able to realise what they’ve done wrong.

This isn’t an ‘either-or’ system - you have to input an acceptable-format Registration Number and the correct Vehicle Make (again in an acceptable format).

Derek - was just following on from the comments, albeit without the renewal form in front of me......I must admit I have never had any problems with renewing on line for either vehicle.

Oddly though had probems finding a 'new' personalised number I was looking for as new van should be delivered next week and wanted a specific reg no. ....have been looking for several months for the 17 plate, and whilst others were on line, the one I wanted didn't come up. Last week I was all set to go for a transfer of the existing one, but thought I d just do a last minute re-check, and there it was, all of s sudden...so logged on and it was mine within a couple of minutes, and posted docs with me in a couple of days...very efficient!

Brambles - 2017-04-05 1:50 PM

Not quite as you suggest.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stickers-or-other-items-in-front-and-rear-windscreensSo my old tax disc, emissions sticker, Swiss Vinnette and Austrian Vinnette all stay.edit. Or am I missing something here regarding old tax discs?

I think you might be.  The wording of that document you linked to is perhaps a bit ambiguous and it's not entirely clear whether the acceptability of stickers up to 40mm diameter means a total coverage for all stickers or that you can stick as many 40mm stickers on as you like.

Clearly the intention would not be to allow motorists to cover most of their windscreen with stickers but, as the document says, only the courts can decide on interpretation of the law!

StuartO - 2017-04-06 1:02 PM
Brambles - 2017-04-05 1:50 PM

I think you might be.  The wording of that document you linked to is perhaps a bit ambiguous and it's not entirely clear whether the acceptability of stickers up to 40mm diameter means a total coverage for all stickers or that you can stick as many 40mm stickers on as you like.

Clearly the intention would not be to allow motorists to cover most of their windscreen with stickers but, as the document says, only the courts can decide on interpretation of the law!

In respect of what the document says, I do actually fall foul as my emissions sticker and old disc are within the swept area.

Keith T - 2017-04-06 11:22 AM

Derek - was just following on from the comments, albeit without the renewal form in front of me......I must admit I have never had any problems with renewing on line for either vehicle.

If you re-read my posting of 6 April 2017 8:04 AM, you’ll see that I was referring to the ‘check vehicle tax’ on-line facility, not renewing the vehicle tax on-line.

Archived