Pinholes In Rooflight Blinds

Basil

Hi, new van has pleated roof light blinds has anyone with this type of blind had pinholes appear in the crease of the pleats?

This is the first experience we have had with this type of blind, the window blinds are also pleated, thinking that if this can occur on the roof light can it also occur on the window ones, so wonder about the longevity of them.

Had the normal roller blinds on our previous van for eighteen years and found that they lasted well only damage by operator caused any problem with the blind material itself. Must say I believe we prefer the old silver backed roller blinds to these new ones at the moment.

Would be grateful fo any info and what to do to stop the holes getting bigger.

Bas

We've got 9 pleated blinds in our 2008 Kontiki, all showing what we thought were "pin holes". Closer inspection revealed that it's just the silver backing coming off in places. Last week when it was sunny, opened two windows, closed the blinds ands painted the "valley" part of each blind from the outside with smooth silver Hammerite. This coloured silver was a bit dark and didn't quite match the silver foil finish but it's got rid of most of the "holes" (but they're not holes lol). Need to do a few of the "peaks" just to complete the job.

We were in the process of getting prices for new blinds but the paint seems to have done the trick, for now that is.

Our AT Tracker is 16 months old and we have problems with the material stretching along with a broken cord on the habitation door. It seems all the blinds are in various stages of stretch probably depending amount on use. Not a good look for the future if this is happening after 16 months. Talking with the importer about having them all replaced.cheers,

Basil - 2016-05-08 5:42 PM

Hi, new van has pleated roof light blinds...

Bas

It might be helpful if you provided identification details of your motorcaravan (make, model, year of manufacture).

The rooflights and windows fitted to motorhomes vary and there’s no guarantee that the pleated blind material used by, say, Seitz will be the same as that used by, say, Remis. For example, some years ago a large batch of Remis pleated blinds began to ‘mottle’ and could be replaced under warranty, but the problem did not affect Seitz pleated blinds.

Pin-pricks in pleated blinds are mentioned in this 2013 Practical Caravan forum thread.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/47663-seitz-pleated-blinds

and this GOOGLE-search retrieves further comments

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=caravan+blinds+pin+pricks

Unfortunately pin holes in the creases of pleated blinds are a fact of life, we first had them on a 2005 Abbey caravan, in the early days of them being available, they changed all the blinds under warranty on the first service, since then it seems they have tightened up on the warranty and they have to be really bad to get them changed.

Our next 5 caravans and our current motorhome all have suffered from small pinholes on the creases.

Hi all, thank you for the replies. It seems then that this is an issue with this type of blind, I will have to discuss it with the manufacturer of the van and see what they say, don't hold out a lot of hope though as I am still waiting for a defective Seitz window to be replaced from new and the van will be a year old in two weeks!

Thanks again Bas

Thanks for the links Derek, all the windows are Seitz but I am still trying to determine the make of the roof light blind, the ones that are the problem, once I do I will take it up with the manufacturer.

Bas

• 2 years later...
We imported a Possl hightop nearly 3 years ago. These had 2 seitz sunroofs with blinds. One took one trip away to develop pinholes....the other never has.. This week driving to Croatia my wife has diagnosed the problem....Traveling at 50 or more the sunroof doesn’t seal properly and as we travel with blind shut due to heat,the blind billows massively in and out causing a line of pin holes. Hope this helps...I’ll be sealing the roof when we get back.

Archived