Dover parking

trickydicky

Hi, ferry booked for 10pm this Sunday .as we're travelling from Lancashire we have to leave plenty of time to get there.does anyone know if it's still possible to park on marine parade if we arrive early, for a couple of hours, bearing in mind it will be a Sunday.if not, panic, where do we go.

trickydicky - 2016-05-24 8:14 AM

Hi, ferry booked for 10pm this Sunday .as we're travelling from Lancashire we have to leave plenty of time to get there.does anyone know if it's still possible to park on marine parade if we arrive early, for a couple of hours, bearing in mind it will be a Sunday.if not, panic, where do we go.

Russell Street car park in Dover will also have plenty of space on a Sunday evening if you find the parking spots on Marine Parade full of cars as is usual. Take a look on google earth and you will see a couple of motorhomes parked there just to give you an idea of the space available. Tescos at whitfield just on the outskirts of Dover is another option.

Hi you won't be able to park at the Russell Street Car Park any longer, as it's not there. They have knocked all that area down,along with the big old multi storey car park, and tower. They are doing developing on all that area. It's going to be a shopping centre, with superstores, cinema, travel lodge etc.

You can still park along Marine Terrace after I believe 6pm as the other person rightly said, always plenty of room. And yes you could always park at the Whitfield Tesco just off the A2. Not too far from the Dover Terminal - Turn left when you exit Tesco's follow the industrial estate all the way till you reach the round about near B&Q left over the bridge (dual carriageway) and then right.

I live in Dover, up near Whitfield.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Parking for motorhomes is NOT permitted on Marine Parade, but you can park on Waterloo Crescent and the Esplanade in certain locations.

This is up towards the Marina or Clock Tower. 

This is essentially the same road, with Marine Parade being the eastern end, Waterloo Crescent the middle and the Esplanade the Western end.
You may well see some vans parked on Marine Parade, but the Port Police are moving people at all hours as these bays are for Cars & Motorbikes only. It all changed about 1-2 years ago.
My 95 year old mother lives in the Gateway on Marine Parade.

• 3 months later...
laimeduck - 2016-05-27 10:15 AM

Parking for motorhomes is NOT permitted on Marine Parade.

derek500 - 2016-09-03 8:53 PM

Parked up this evening on Marine Parade. Several others here.

Pay and Display 9am - 6pm. We're on the 8am to Dunkerque so no need.

Sign on pay machine has caravans crossed through but vans allowed up to 3.5 tonnes.

Nothing specific on motorhomes.

Laimeducks mum lives there so he doesn't permit motorhome parking. :D ;-)

thebishbus - 2016-09-04 8:22 PM

I think the parking in Marine parade is for çars and motor bikes only Waterloo Crescent is still OK, we parked there Wednesday night, no problem.

Brian B.

Dover Council say that stretch is OK for cars with caravans, no mention of motorhomes.

http://www.dover.gov.uk/Transport,-Streets--Parking/Parking/General-Information/Caravan-Parking.aspx

The motorhome parking web page only mentions car parks, not Waterloo Crescent where caravans are allowed!!

http://www.dover.gov.uk/Transport,-Streets--Parking/Parking/General-Information/Motor-Home-Parking.aspx

As I said, the Pay & Display machines on Marine Parade only mention over 3.5t and caravans being prohibited, not motorhomes.

Laimeducks mum lives there so he doesn't permit motorhome parking. :D ;-)

Absolutely right! BG 

However, Derek is correct - Vans up to 3.5 tons are permitted there. The port police do occasionally check and move others on - so if you want to possibly be woken up at an ungodly hour rather than just going up the road a couple of hundred yards then ?...................

John52 - 2016-09-05 8:54 AM

I usually park on Channel View Road before an early morning ferry. Its usually full of lorries parking overnight, but there is usually spaces long enough for a motorhome which the (longer) lorries have had to pass by. Its on a bit of a hill though.

That's the favoured spot now though how much longer it will remain out of the grasps of greedy Dover council i don't know. It really is a pathetic reflection on this country when there is scant provision for decent overnight parking such as that across the pond.

Bulletguy - 2016-09-05 1:22 PM

I usually park on Channel View Road before an early morning ferry. Its usually full of lorries parking overnight, but there is usually spaces long enough for a motorhome which the (longer) lorries have had to pass by. Its on a bit of a hill though.

That's the favoured spot now though how much longer it will remain out of the grasps of greedy Dover council i don't know. It really is a pathetic reflection on this country when there is scant provision for decent overnight parking such as that across the pond.

But the majority of us (up to 3.5t) have and are still able to continue to use Marine Parade with no problems.

I've been reading stuff for years and nothing has changed.

derek500 - 2016-09-05 9:24 PM

Bulletguy - 2016-09-05 1:22 PM

But the majority of us (up to 3.5t) have and are still able to continue to use Marine Parade with no problems.

I've been reading stuff for years and nothing has changed.

I try to get across without overnighting if possible though it's a fair haul for me. I used to spend a fair bit of money in Dover but not since i got slapped with a ticket. I haven't spent one penny there since. I take my money across to France, park up at Bray-Dune which welcomes people like me with open arms, and spend in the coffee shops, restaurants and Carrefour supermarket. They deserve my custom.....Dover doesn't deserve anybody's.

Tank up with diesel over the border in Belgium where it's cheaper but only a couple of miles away!

derek500 - 2016-09-03 8:53 PM

Parked up this evening on Marine Parade. Several others here.

Pay and Display 9am - 6pm. We're on the 8am to Dunkerque so no need.

Sign on pay machine has caravans crossed through but vans allowed up to 3.5 tonnes.

Nothing specific on motorhomes.

PCN 23or 91 is what you will be issued with if the car park attendant or what we used to call traffic warden hasn't gone to bed and sees that you have parked in an area not designated for that class of vehicle, ie over 3.5 tonnes. That is clear, not up for question. A PCN (penalty charge notice) can only be issued where the class of vehicle is restricted by local legal traffic signage. The signs have to be listed and approved DOT signs. You will find ALL the legal signs that a council may use LEGALLY in the highway code. DOT PCN 23 comes under On-street parking contravention code which states ; Parked in a parking place or area not designated for that class of vehicle. That's it, No if''s or but's. I have what I would call a camper which is under 3.5 tonne and the DVLA tell me it is classed as a private light goods vehicle. I also have a 4.1 tonne motorhome which DVLA class as a private heavy goods vehicle. Point one is, are NO CAMPERVAN restriction signs legal as they are not DOT approved, and two how can a PCN 23 or 91 be issued for parking the wrong TYPE of vehicle, (i.e. a campervan or motorhome, see your log book, registration certificaite) as PCN's can only be issued for the wrong class of vehicle as stated by The Department Of Transport. I could be wrong or accused of splitting hairs but I do try to abide by the law of this country....if only I knew what it was and not what some councilor has made up to satisfy who or what ever. No offence intended

Hi

We stayed at Black Horse CC site at Densole which is a convenient place to get to either Dover Port or Folkestone Tunnel Port in about 15 minutes. Good pub opposite site which also does good food. You can book a ferry pitch which enables you to leave any time of night. If you can afford a motor home you can afford to occasionally stop at a CC site when it for your own convenience. Ok doing the journey in one lump from further afield but one motorway hold up or puncture and your channel hop plans are in chaos. Not worth the stress, take your time and enjoy an early crossing which will allow you to get further into France on your first day there. From personal experience would always use the tunnel as it is so easy and quick.

John

John Allen - 2016-09-06 9:25 PM

Hi

We stayed at Black Horse CC site at Densole which is a convenient place to get to either Dover Port or Folkestone Tunnel Port in about 15 minutes. Good pub opposite site which also does good food. You can book a ferry pitch which enables you to leave any time of night. If you can afford a motor home you can afford to occasionally stop at a CC site when it for your own convenience. Ok doing the journey in one lump from further afield but one motorway hold up or puncture and your channel hop plans are in chaos. Not worth the stress, take your time and enjoy an early crossing which will allow you to get further into France on your first day there. From personal experience would always use the tunnel as it is so easy and quick.

John

I'm not sure anyone who uses the tunnel would use Marine Parade. Paying a campsite £20 or whatever for half a night doesn't appeal, whether I can afford it or not.

Canterbury P&R sounds fine, but what if there is heavy traffic on the way to Dover?

I'll stick with early ferry crossings and Marine Parade.

"My way is best" assertions don't really help anyone else much because there is always more than one way to do something and in the case of Channel crossings the time of day makes a big difference too. 

And of course whether you want to do it as cheaply as possible matters quite a bit - crossing in the middle of the night is almost always going to work out cheaper and will usually involve less traffic, except coming back through Calais when overnight journeys are currently more risky because of the migrant attacks.

So if you are prepared to make the journey something of what many will regard as an ordeal, it can be done smoothly and cheaply, even if you do start your personal journey a long drive way from Dover. 

I've driven directly from Lancashire to Dover for an early evening crossing smoothly by choosing to do it on a Saturday, when the motorways are a lot quieter, and that works.  Likewise I've stayed at Canterbury P&R for a crossing at an anti-social hour without difficulty (because it's easy to leave quietly from at any time) and stayed at Canterbury C&CC for a late morning crossing (because you can't leave before 7am) after a nice shower and breakfast.  Both of the Canterbury stops will work for any day of the week.  Marine Parade hasn't tempted me at all so far; it feel a bit like encroaching where you aren't welcome somehow, even if you could get away with parking there, even overnight.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Archived