Car tax changes from 1 April 2017

BenH

Are you looking to buying a new car in the near future? Are the proposed changes to VED in 2017 going to change your plans?

Government say: "This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates (FYRs) of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle.

"A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero-emission cars for which the SR will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid.

"All cars first registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change."

Take a look at the new rates and bands for the post-2017 VED system below...

Table of new Vehicle Excise Duty charges from 1 April 2017

Three examples of car models before and after the 2017 tax changes

With the advent of as yet longer term unproven Euro 6 I have gone right off of diesel cars and any changes to VED would not affect our choice of petrol, hybrid or possibly electric car.

In the grand scheme of things automotive the VED component running cost is relatively minor and of far less importance to us than things like ride comfort, noise levels, mechanical refinement and reliabily for which we are happy to pay more for better.

Of greater significance on a Motorhome forum would be any alterations to van rates of ved and I am surprised that you chose not to mention this?

Tracker - 2016-07-08 12:40 PM

Of greater significance on a Motorhome forum would be any alterations to van rates of ved and I am surprised that you chose not to mention this?

It's a caravanning and camping forum, too, Tracker. Hopefully someone from team MMM can shed some light on the motorhome implications of the legislation change though.

In fact, there's already a motorhome-specific discussion about it here. B-)

We have a large 1600cc diesel car and a smaller 1400cc Petrol car. The diesel does twice as many miles to the gallon as the petrol one, We use the big car for long journeys , and Oh can get his golf trolley etc in it! When going any where that we know will be small parking places and not many of them, we use the smaller car, but this is only local journeys . The tax on the diesel acr £35.00 the petrol not absolutely sure but well over £100.. Diesel cars always seem to smell when started, so how can they be better for the environment? I thought the tax was meant to be for helping to keep roads repaired?,( Repaired JOKE)so why does a Diesel not wear the roads out so much??? They should do away with the tax, and put the price of fuel up instead, that way the mileage would pay for the roads! Alos any foreign vehicles would contribute as well

PJay

Archived